S3 8P tyres width

pinterovski

Reaction score
Hi!

I was wondering if i could run this setup on my S3;
235/35/19 in the back
225/35/19 in the front

The wheels are original from Audi RS3 with Superconti 5 tyres,
so if there's no problem to keep this setup i will give it a go!

What do you say?

Cheers

Hi mate dont see why not i,m running 235/35/19 all round totally love it ..

Last edited:
I believe some one said:
because the car has a quattro system,
all the tyres should be the same width!:uhm:

ebd56889.jpg

Reactions: pinterovski
Can't see why you'd run narrower tyres at the front.RS3 runs wider tyres at the front.
S3/RS3 operate as a Front Wheel Drive as the default Haldex setting,so that's where you want the wider rubber.
We ran wider fronts on the Front Wheel Drive racers I used to drive.
Unless you like increased understeer.....

Doesn't RS3 run offset tyre sizes?

Yes, RS3 runs 235/35 19's on the front and 225/35 19's on the rear, apparently in an attempt to reduce understeer....different load ratings as well.....92Y on the front and 88Y on the rear.

Width doesn't matter too much with quattro, it is the rolling radius which has to be the same.

Differences between 235 and 225 tyres on 35 profile 19 inch:

Rolling%2520rad.jpg

Mmmmm....obviously 3mm is within the accepted tolerance.

Wonder what happens if they wear at different rates though ?

I know on my old S4 with permanent 4WD, the tyres on each axle had to have the same amount of tread/rolling radius, and across both axles the difference couldn't be more than 3mm but obviously that is different with the Haldex part-time 4WD on our cars, as for most of the time they are Front wheel drive.

if you're going for that setup then you should put wider at the front, not the back. this way you will reduce understeer.

I know on my old S4 with permanent 4WD, the tyres on each axle had to have the same amount of tread/rolling radius, and across both axles the difference couldn't be more than 3mm but obviously that is different with the Haldex part-time 4WD on our cars, as for most of the time they are Front wheel drive.

same on my GTR's,they throw serious tantrums when you run staggered tyres or wheels,all need to be the same and within a couple of mm of tread of each other or you get lights on the dash etc