S3 8P Facelift Cam Follower Check

Alan Oliver

Reaction score
Hi

I have being doing a bit of research on the issue of Cam follower wear on 2.0 TFSI Engines.

My car is an 09 Plate S3 Facelift car 81K miles with FSH. (Std as far as i know regarding ECU) I know the Cam Follower is not a service item in Audi's maintenence schedule, Are the MY09 cars still prone to Cam wear? I have no symptoms of wear/failure.

I planned on having a look next week as i have no documented evidence of this, Just wanted to get some informed opinion.

Thanks

Yes yours would still be prone to wear.

I recently had mine changed when I bought the car after reading some of the horror stories,

Mine was on 30k and to be honest the cam follower looked fine. Still glad it's done for piece of mind.
I'd definitely get yours changed on 80k, it might be fine also but for such a cheap part that's quick to fit it's a no brainer !

It is the follower that does the wearing, not the camshaft when everything is running fine. You may have no symptoms but the black coating starts to wear through on the part of the follower that runs against the camshaft.
My advice is to pop a new one in for the relatively small cost of the parts. Don't forget to change the HPFP sealing ring at the same time.

If i remove the HPFP to check the wear and it looks OK am i ok to use the existing HPFP seal?

As was said earlier, just change the cam follower but use an OEM part and not the cheaper items that can be found on Ebay. At that mileage, I would change the seal too for peace of mind. If you are still running the standard air box you cannot just have a quick check to see if the seal is leaking as the airbox can be a pig to remove.

Changed the follower and HPFP seal this morning chaps. Minimal wear on the DLC on the follower inside and out so for peace of mind sake its all good for a while now. For an (largely) oik like me when it comes to mechanicals it was a breeze to do as well.

Thanks for everyones advice btw

I changed the cam follower on a TTS on Sunday. As you said, not a bad job to tackle. Doing our TT as well later this week. It will be interesting to see the wear differences as the TTS had done 20K and the TT has done 45K.
I also installed the "press clutch to start" delete harness on the TTS. Much easier to do than on the S3.

Reactions: Hookmonster
I was going to do the harness today but didnt get round to it.. harder on an s3 ?????

Reactions: prt57
I was going to do the harness today but didnt get round to it.. harder on an s3 ?????

S3 has a cloth like shield that is held in place with poppers that has to be undone and done up afterwards. TTS has rigid heat shield held in place with 2 nuts. (no need to remove your silicone Revo elbow by the way). Send me a PM if you want a hand doing it!

Reactions: Hookmonster