RS3.....worth the premium over the S3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pulp84

Reaction score
So.....I have now driven the RS3 (as have a few other S3 owners on the forum) and I wanted to start a thread to compare and contrast the differences and to discuss is it worth the premium over the S3?

For many it will be a totally emotional purchase. Noise alone is enough for many too. For some it's down to costs and being sensible. But is it a step on from the S3? After driving it do you now yearn for it and will you stop at nothing to get one? (and wait six months...).

Since the RS3 was launched I have had "itchy feet" about moving on from the S3 for something (hopefully) more dynamic. Suspension and steering being the biggest issues for me on the S3 and I hoped the RS3 would address this. But is it worth spending (for the spec I want) £10k over my S3?

What are your experiences and specifically how did you feel it compared in critical dynamic and aesthetic areas to the S3?

Good, bad and indifferent comments welcome! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: PanamaS3
I'll start...........:)

• The RS3 is not special to look at or sit in. The steering wheel looks odd with the random patch of alcantara. Shame there is no alcantara seat option too. The wheels are OK actually but on the whole it does not look particularly aggressive. Apart from the lovely looking calipers, grill and exhausts it doesn't stand out.
  • RS3 starting up in dynamic is a joy. It makes all the right noises. Drove my S3 after and it sounded pretty mundane. Full throttle up shifts are not as loud as I expected from inside the cabin. Manual downshifting for the fun of it produced cracks, pops and bangs that were musical to me. It sounded like there was a gun fight going on!
  • Above 80 mph is where the RS3 does its best work. It really pulls hard. I personally felt the RS3 felt as fast as the S3 until you hit 80mph. LC on the other hand is much, much harder. Brutal in fact. Getting back in to my S3 I did not feel short changed in respect of acceleration.
  • 7 speed S-tronic seems to be a bit smoother and quicker to react to paddle inputs. Very good gearbox that. Hopefully it can find its was on to the 8V facelift for the S3.
  • No S3 bounce! Damping was firm (the S3 is definitely much more comfortable) but at speed on some bumpy sections it was very well damped. The car I drove had no mag ride. I back off a lot in the S3 when the bounce gets too bad and I'm glad to see this had been addressed.
  • Steering is just as bad as in the S3. Light to heavy, dead spot when the wheel is dead centre. Why can Audi not get this right?
  • The brakes feel no better or worse than what the S3 has. If anything they felt a bit weak when trying to stop from higher speeds. Weight maybe a factor here for the RS3? They look great from outside though....
  • RS3 needs to be wrestled during fast bends. It is very heavy nosed and I can see why it's been embarrassed in track battles. I had to back off on some heavy, fast bends due to understeer. It's there too on the S3 but it's amplified on the RS3.
It's a seductive car the RS3. In summary, the noise although amazing is not worth the premium over the S3. It is not a step on? For me no. It has its own dynamic issues and for an RS car not enough occasion.

People have said the S3 is an S-line with a more powerful engine, quattro and a four branch exhaust. But is the RS3 just an S3 with bigger brakes, more noise and slightly more go?

Last edited:
Reactions: blackwiddow, Wanty, PanamaS3 and 6 others
RS3 has the name,the kudos and the noise.

S3 has some of that,but can easily be as fast,with a little work,for less money.

Depends very much on what you want from a car.

Reactions: Wondering Soul, Forbzeeee, Simon L and 2 others
I'll start...........:)

• The RS3 is not special to look at or sit in. The steering wheel looks odd with the random patch of alcantara. Shame there is no alcantara seat option too. The wheels are OK actually but on the whole it does not look particularly aggressive. Apart from the lovely looking calipers, grill and exhausts it doesn't stand out.
  • RS3 starting up in dynamic is a joy. It makes all the right noises. Drove my S3 after and it sounded pretty mundane. Full throttle up shifts are not as loud as I expected from inside the cabin. Manual downshifting for the fun of it produced cracks, pops and bangs that were musical to me. It sounded like there was a gun fight going on!
  • Above 80 mph is where the RS3 does its best work. It really pulls hard. I personally felt the RS3 felt as fast as the S3 until you hit 80mph. LC on the other hand is much, much harder. Brutal in fact. Getting back in to my S3 I did not feel short changed in respect of acceleration.
  • 7 speed S-tronic seems to be a bit smoother and quicker to react to paddle inputs. Very good gearbox that. Hopefully it can find its was on to the 8V facelift for the S3.
  • No S3 bounce! Damping was firm (the S3 is definitely much more comfortable) but at speed on some bumpy sections it was very well damped. The car I drove had no mag ride. I back off a lot in the S3 when the bounce gets too bad and I'm glad to see this had been addressed.
  • Steering is just as bad as in the S3. Light to heavy, dead spot when the wheel is dead centre. Why can Audi not get this right?
  • The brakes feel no better or worse than what the S3 has. If anything they felt a bit weak when trying to stop from higher speeds. Weight maybe a factor here for the RS3? They look great from outside though....
  • RS3 needs to be wrestled during fast bends. It is very heavy nosed and I can see why it's been embarrassed in track battles. I had to back off on some heavy, fast bends due to understeer. It's there too on the S3 but it's amplified on the RS3.
It's a seductive car the RS3. In summary, the noise although amazing is not worth the premium over the S3. It is not a step on? For me no. It has its own dynamic issues and for an RS car not enough occasion.

People have said the S3 is an S-line with a more powerful engine, quattro and a four branch exhaust. But is the RS3 just an S3 with bigger brakes, more noise and slightly more go?
Great review Pulp!

Reactions: Brasso
I had a go in one and a TTS back to back in June (when I still had the RS5, which I have now replaced with a manual S3 saloon - long story, separate thread). Here are my thoughts which I posted in the RS3 section:

Here goes:

I had the 8v S3 for almost a year and was largely underwhelmed by it, so moved it on.
The RS3 should be a huge improvement on that so I thought I should give it a go and see if it rights the (IMO) wrongs of the S3 and would make it a worthy successor.

Looks:
The front arches are RS like, perhaps not enough, but more defined all the same.
The front bumper and grill look great.

That's where it ends though. The rest is the same or worse than the S3. I prefer the S3 rear, there is something that doesn't fit about that car and those two big gaping exhausts. Wheels, awful and no choices (although easily remedied post purchase).
This was in Nardo, which I love in pictures. In the flesh it doesn't work though - it doesn't extenuate the cars lines, and is bland, especially with the aluminium pack. If I was forced it would have to have the black pack, black roof rails and panoramic roof to break up the sea of grey.
Would likely look better in Sepang (with aluminium) or white (with black), but all in all, not RS enough - should be more flares and more thought into the rear.
It's an A3 Sportback at the end of the day, so we shouldn't expect great looks, but they could have been more racy.

Interior:
Love the Alcantara on the wheel. The rest is the same as S3.
Supersports don't cut it, not by a long shot. The ones in the TT-S I drove (also today) were much better.
Seating position is terrible, you are riding on rather than in, which when added to the lack of support from the supersports means spirited driving moves you about quite a lot and doesn't install confidence.
Hate the pop up screen.

Engine:
The star of the show. Pulls very well and a vast improvement over the S3, turbo lag reduced massively.
The exhaust on the demo was the standard and its relatively quiet. Sports exhaust an absolute must.

Handling:
Felt firmer than the S3 which I liked, but didn't feel like there was a huge amount more grip if any.
Understeer was evident at one hard corner, but not too bad.
Felt a little skittish at fast corners where you keep the accelerator on the power (similar to the S3).
Aforementioned seating position doesn't help with the feel of the car. The steering doesn't feel any more "alive" than the S3, which isn't good.

Overall:
It's undoubtedly better than the S3.
However, it's still a flawed package, that didn't give me any real feeling of excitement unfortunately. I think if I were to buy one it would last about the same length of time my S3 did for the exact same reasons.
I don't think its a worthwhile move for S3 owners, it just isn't worth the premium over one.

TTS:
I also test drove the new TTS. Now there's an entirely different prospect.
Handling is spot on (far less feel of understeer tendency across the same roads as I took the RS3 and roads I have driven the S3 many times), seating position perfect, seats better feeling than the RS3 (I'm not sure if they are hugely different or different at all), steering has a huge amount of feel and, despite being down on power on the RS3 felt more than fast enough as it was great fun to drive.
It also looks great IMO, has far better wheels and, although probably not to all tastes the interior is very fresh, makes even the S3/RS3 look dated.
It's just too impractical for me just now or it may have been worthy of running some numbers.

Got back into my car and didn't want to replace it with either (which is unusual for me), although the TT-RS will definitely be worth another look when it comes. If it drives like the TT it will be brilliant and might be worth making a compromise on the practicability issues the TTS has.
I think the TTS drives better than my car does.

Reactions: PanamaS3 and Pulp84
Having lived with my RS3 for a couple of weeks & reading some of the opinions above I can say that you're spot on....... No only joking, here is some feedback based on my experience:

Appearance

People think the RS3 is understated? I totally disagree, you would not believe how many people approach the car, look at the car as you drive past and for me it needs little more than that to show just how much this car stands out.

S3 front end was always a bit numb & each time I approached it I always had that thought. The RS3 when you walk back to it gives a huge smile factor on looks alone, hands down!

Interior

Yep it's typical Audi & no obvious enhancement on the S3. The only thing I have over my S3 are SSS & panoramic roof and this adds a feeling of quality to the interior, but not RS3 specific.

Performance

My S3 was manual so may be an indirect comparison but the RS3 feels so much quicker. The only lag I can agree with is due to the S Tronic being caught out and taking its time to choose a gear. Other than that there is no engine lag that I have experienced.

Yes you can chip, tune, fit exhausts all you like but then you could easily do that with the RS3. It all depends on preference, budget & hassle factor such as worrying about insurance & warranty claims.

Sound

Start it up in a public area & again people will turn & look, I'm not convinced you need the dynamic package as a must have option, but depends on what you want. In standard form, cruising speed on the motorway, just select comfort & you can hardly hear it, which makes a journey that much more pleasant.

Handling

Very different to the S3, it does feel like there is more grip available but then I'm also on bigger wheels, different tyres which may also be contributing to this feeling? So far I have not had a moment where I felt the front end was washing out.

Is the RS3 worth the extra money? (ignoring the cost of S Tronic, LED headlights, 19 inch wheels)

Well I can't answer that for you, the same as you couldn't answer the same question for me but right now my compromise would be to consider the new Focus RS. Badge snobbery & interior aside, I'd happily take the £15K back in my pocket and drive one of those instead.

Reactions: Nimbus265, Marshy, Foxtrot_Oscar and 1 other person
I fully expect the Focus RS to give £15k in your back pocket and have a better drive as well.
It's verging on a no brainer when that's available.

Reactions: slayaz, veeeight and steeve
Well,
I for one LOVED my test drive of the RS3.

I think it felt more secure and sure footed than my S3 and the engine is nothing short of stunning.

My S3 is manual, so I couldnt decide if the lag in the RS3 was due to the gearbox or the turbo....that was the only minor issue I had with the car...

When you comsider the 19" wheels, the auto box, the engine and the LED lights, I reckon it doesnt cost just that much more than the basic S3 sportback.

I would order one tomorrow but no matter how much I try, I really cannot justify the amount it would cost to change when you consider I do around 5000 miles a year....

Reactions: Foxtrot_Oscar
I fully expect the Focus RS to give £15k in your back pocket and have a better drive as well.
It's verging on a no brainer when that's available.

A £30K Focus RS will be rarer than hens teeth,more like £35/37 maybe even more for a fully loaded car,no doubt it will be the king of the hot hatchbacks for a long time,but l think the Focus RS and A3 RS3 will mostly attract to two different types of peeps,l need to get a test drive asap lol

Mmm
Personal opinion really.
But my four penneth after a reasonable test in an RS3 was no.
Whilst its obviously quicker than the S3 and sounds great I still felt that dynamically it's flawed and no more fun than an S3.
I found it front heavy, the engine is great but I could feel the extra weight up front. Stiffening the suspension has not resolved the handling issues. I suppose as Audi seem convinced that the Nurburgring is the place to hone suspension.

I too have registered an interest in the new Focus RS and am looking forward to test driving one when available.

If I was looking for a fun driving experience rather than the things that made me decide to buy an S3 I would currently go for either an MX5 or the Clio.

A £30K Focus RS will be rarer than hens teeth,more like £35/37 maybe even more for a fully loaded car,no doubt it will be the king of the hot hatchbacks for a long time,but l think the Focus RS and A3 RS3 will mostly to two different types of peeps,l need to get a test drive asap lol

Check the Ford configurator, they may have hens teeth available too :tonguewink:

Check the Ford configurator, they may have hens teeth available too :tonguewink:
Trust me there will be a premium put on by dealerships for these car's just like the last Focus RS with a waiting list as long as your arm with no foreseeable discounts available such will be the demand for it,so yeah l will stick by my hens teeth quote

A £30K Focus RS will be rarer than hens teeth,more like £35/37 maybe even more for a fully loaded car,no doubt it will be the king of the hot hatchbacks for a long time,but l think the Focus RS and A3 RS3 will mostly attract to two different types of peeps,l need to get a test drive asap lol
Rs will be common they will share focus production line and just get pumped out this time

New Focus RS in riviera blue anyone ... :D

917d1438024609-nitrous-blue-picture-thread-carpixel.net-2016-ford-focus-rs-us-24732-hd.jpg

Reactions: Scott.T, Brasso, Schuey and 2 others
I had 30 minutes in a RS3 and couldn't stop grinning which was enough for me to order one. We have a S3 too ;)

TX.

Reactions: Hyped, RGBARGEE and Marshy
I had 30 minutes in a RS3 and couldn't stop grinning which was enough for me to order one. We have a S3 too ;)

TX.

It's very interesting the different reactions people have had after their first go in the RS3.

If you have that reaction when test driving a car then it's the right to order ASAP. Good for you :respekt:

I had two 40 min stints and didn't get the same reaction :(

I am thinking now I haven't seen enough in the flesh and different colours. The ones I saw were Daytona with the silver pack and white leather (awful) or sepang with silver pack and white leather. Really not my thing those combinations.

My tuppence worth is that for me, this will be my first Audi. I currently have a Scirocco R, so will be going from a four-cylinder front-driven manual to the 5-cylinder Quattro beasty. That will be a bit special for me.

I notice most people that appear to be a little more negative towards the RS3 already have an S3. With this in mind, it becomes more obvious to me that there is not that much different (especially regarding the interior, but that's why I ticked the RS3 interior red/alcantara pack) between the S3 and the RS3.

So for me looking from outside the brand, I cannot wait to get my RS and have some fun...

Reactions: Ben Daniel Grant, slayaz, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Having had an Evo X FQ330 SST prior to my S3, I was looking forward to the RS3 in the hope that it would provide the level of fun that my Evo did.

Overall disappointed. Noise aside, I was underwhelmed for the extra £10K it costs (and I can always put a noisy exhaust on my S3 if I want more noise for a lot cheaper). Useable power no different to the S3 up to 70mph, so unless you are going to put it on the track no gains. Handling, some minor improvements but nothing spectacular. I'd have one, but don't think the small gains over the S3 warrant the extra £10K spend. Looks - nothing special, which if you are spending that sort of cash on a car you should expect. Very understated. First time since buying my S3 that I've regretted selling my Evo, as the RS doesn't even come close to the way that handled and looked (although the S-Tronic is much better than the Evo's SST box by a long shot).

Shame as was thinking the RS would be my next car after the S3, but I very much doubt it.

I should be collecting my S3 this week but when I saw the RS3 I wanted to change my order but to late but hey ho I'm still excited. I'm In no doubt that the RS3 will be a better car but the model thing could just keep going. Should I buy a RS3 or a RS4 the list goes on.

New Focus RS in riviera blue anyone ... :D

917d1438024609-nitrous-blue-picture-thread-carpixel.net-2016-ford-focus-rs-us-24732-hd.jpg

Sorry BH, not for me!

Wouldn't matter what colour it was, it doesn't have the style and it doesn't have the class to compete with S3 or RS3. Totally different markets in my opinion ;)

Reactions: Ozmosis, Bristle Hound, Berniemaps and 1 other person
I'd agree that the 'Look' of the New RS3 Sportback is pretty Bland for an 'RS' Product, you really cant take away that its still a great Car to Drive!
In my Opinion, I really think that Audi should have only Released it in a 3Door Hatchback & a 4Door Saloon, as both those Shapes look far more Sporty & with the 'RS' being the Range Topper, they should be going for that Aggressive maximum Sporty look! The current Sportback Model just looks Frumpy, Boring & too plain for my liking!...........I've just never been able to get my head round the Sportback Shape!
I can understand peoples point, when they already have an S3 & say that the RS3 doesn't feel Different/Exclusive enough in Comparison, as I had exactly the same feeling when I owned a TTS a few years back & Testdrove the TTRS. If I hadn't have had a TTS, I would have Bought a TTRS, as it was an awesome Car, but with the Exterior & Interior Looks being almost Identical, I couldn't justify it, eventhough that 5Cylinder Engine was 100 times better to Drive than the 4Cylinder 2.0!

I had the Previous Generation Focus RS 2.5 from New, back in 2010 & it was a Mega Car to Drive, as the Engine, Handling & Aggressive Looks were virtual Perfection. No doubt that the Gen3 4WD Focus RS will be Faster & Handle better, but with its Frumpy 4Door Looks & farty noised 4Cylinder Engine, it will have lost its Charm & be nothing more than a Golf R with abitmore Power & worse Build Quality!
When these become Available, I can see that it'll push the Values of the Gen2 Focus RS's up even further, as the 2.5 Engine will give more of a Buzz to Drive!

I think to fully Appreciate an Audi RS Model, you have to do it by missing out the Model just below it & then the Looks & Interior can feel alotmore Sporty & Fresher then!

I've just recently Sold my S3 Saloon & switched to the New 340PS RSQ3, instead of the RS3 & I absolutely love it............every chance I get, I'm looking for an excuse to go out in it & Drive it!

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Pulp84
Its definitely worth it, if the criteria with which you measure its worth are satisfied :)

For me it was more complicated - it needed to be worth it and have the front clearance to clear my driveway :footy:

If you are asking the question - for me personally - the RS3 is easily worth the premium over the S3.

S3 is a nice car and I have no issue with the S3 at all - I have driven one and it was a very good package in its own right.
(in fact we did consider one for the wife, but have gone with a new TT in the end)
But for me personally, I have had a gen.2 TTS prior to my current S5 and as punchy as the 4 pot is, it does not do it for me in the sound department ... and the S3 having artifical sound is a gripe of mine (even though the S5 has it too).

Stepping into the RS3 on the other hand, strike it up and immediately it puts a smile on your face with the sound it makes.
Just standing/sitting still and blipping the throttle is a smile inducing experience with the RS3 - you know you are sat in something special.

On the move things just get better and better.
The power and performance on tap is just simply exhilerating and more than enough for me.
Launch control is both savage and hugely impressive.
Having experienced the RS3 on track in the hands of a Pro at an Audi Showcase day a few weeks ago, this just sealed the deal for me.
The RS3 round a track, full on for 3 seriously hot laps, was nothing short of astounding.
The grip is phenominal, the pace is border line scary on track, the cornering speed is crazy.
and this was a car which was being taken round lap after lap.
The RS3 was lapping quicker than an R8 (albeit V8) which I had also been taken out in prior to the RS3.

The specification is a step up over the S3 of course.
19" rims are included as standard, as are LED lights, parking sensors and a few other bits and pieces and S Tronic is also standard.
The fact you can specify a sports exhaust is a great addition to this car and for me also adds to the occasion of the RS3.
I have tested two RS3's now - both standard exhaust (which is great in its own right) and the sports exhaust which is fantastic !
The sports exhaust is not boomy at 70mph as you can turn the volume down with the drive select.
But when you do want the added noise its just great and exactly what I want from an RS.
The 5 cylinder engine alone is worth the premium over the S3 - it is a brilliant engine, I am so pleased Audi retained this for the RS3.
If the noise is a problem to you, then you probabaly are better suited to the S3 or another car entirely.

For me the looks are just enough to both make it look more aggrssive than the S3 whilst not making it too OTT, like say a Focus RS.
Audi manage to balance the look of their cars very well IMO (which is probabaly why the RS3 will be my 4th Audi).
But the different grill, wider arches, body kit, alloys & brakes and those amazing twin oval exhausts are just enough to visually distinguish the car.
Audi have then provided some great options in the form of coloured alloys, black or alum packs etc to further compliment the cars looks.
The RS tweaks and optiions give the car a great look and a step above the S for sure.

For sure many of us agree that the RS3 is a great car - the order books alone back that up.

That said I still think the S3 is a superb car in its own right.
We are purely talking here about the RS premium over the S.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClubSandwich, Deleted member 132563, RGBARGEE and 3 others
Guess the RS3 should be classed as a 'super-hatch' and for me, much as I love the idea, I just can't justify the extra £10k premium bearing in mind the mileage and driving I do (which is relatively low mileage). I get more than enough fun from my S3 and you have to draw a line somewhere. I've not even had it a year yet. My current thoughts are to keep it until the brand new/next generation S3 is out in maybe 2-3 years time and go for that......maybe a saloon next time. The RS does look awesome though and fair play to those who upgrade.

Reactions: RGBARGEE, Snake Pliskin, G-S3 and 3 others
For me, I'd sooner keep my S3, and my "cafe racer" - love to see an RS3 even try to keep up with this (only 184bhp as well) and the sound - well if any of you guys ever visited the IoM when Ago raced these you'd know exactly what I mean LOL

DSC00077 1

Reactions: AndyB-S3, Bristle Hound, xBox and 7 others
Oh no well jell - don't get me started on bikes. Pooled me bike and car fund to buy the S3!

A morning in an RS3 was enough for me to ditch the S3 ( a superb car IMHO) and order one.

Reactions: ClubSandwich, DAYTONA 500 and Snake Pliskin
For me, I'd sooner keep my S3, and my "cafe racer" - love to see an RS3 even try to keep up with this (only 184bhp as well) and the sound - well if any of you guys ever visited the IoM when Ago raced these you'd know exactly what I mean LOL

View attachment 69259
On a wet race track????? Lol

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Oh no well jell - don't get me started on bikes. Pooled me bike and car fund to buy the S3!

Oh don't start me on bikes!!!! my son at last got rid of his ducati 695 only to get some fancy off road bike but at least it keeps him off the roads mostly,quite glad

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Simon L, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
Yeah I see where you're coming from as a Dad not sure what I'd say if my little lad wanted one after knowing the craziness I got up to on my ninjas, blades and R1s.

Reactions: Jassyo06

View attachment 69259

Now THAT is a thing of beauty. Love it.

Reactions: Pulp84
Well you have to have something to get the shopping in LOL

Sorry I sidetracked the thread, apologies.

Reactions: Jassyo06, Ozmosis and Pulp84
Usual stuff.. Driving around a track flat out isn't why I'm buying an RS3 ( or even why I bought an S3) . Generally understated good looking cars both with excellent performance handling and style. Why would I want a Golf? Naff touch screen stuff, not as well finished.. Poorer residuals etc... Nice car however not a patch on Audi...in my eyes.

Reactions: ClubSandwich, Baldyone, Snake Pliskin and 2 others

Saw this awhile back, one thing l will add is that particular RS3 didn't look nice at all,them seat covers in the Golf remind me of child seats you buy in halfords lol the RS3 definitely needs a alternative style of alloy wheels

Reactions: Simon L

View attachment 69259

I've seen Ago there several times,and all the other greats of that era.

That's a beautiful bike.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Ozmosis, Bristle Hound and 1 other person
Status
Not open for further replies.