Rs3 won’t start gearbox malfunction

kilojade

Reaction score
So about 3-4 months ago my 8v rs3 chucked up a load of lights on dash and didn’t start 1 morning. It said gearbox malfunction and every single fault light was flashing and beeping on the dash.... Audi assis came out and couldn’t fix it so it was towed to Audi. This was on a Friday. On the Monday Audi went to look at the car and they said it started no problem! No faults. Very annoying. Even though Audi assis has the fault code to hand. They said they can’t do anything now coz it’s showing up no fault.

Today it’s happened again! Exact same. Have noticed it only happenes when it’s been stood for a couple days and when it’s cold!

Audi assis are coming out tomz

Just wondering anyone else had this problem? Audi assis did say they have had a lot of Audi’s recently with this same fault and the fault has never been found.

Had similar issues on my A6 - randomly wouldn't start one morning and threw up the 'gearbox malfunction' fault and a load of other warning lights - actually turned out to be a problem with the battery.

Had similar issues on my A6 - randomly wouldn't start one morning and threw up the 'gearbox malfunction' fault and a load of other warning lights - actually turned out to be a problem with the battery.

Your post made me realise that, these cars throw up no end of fault codes when the battery is flat!

I suppose every sensor needs to read a certain voltage/canbus volts and anything untoward will throw up a fault code as a certain threshold as not been seen, multiple it by tenfold and you have very confused control modules, the joys of modern electronics:tearsofjoy:

when Audi assis came out last time he thought putting jump leads on will fix it straight away like he has come across a few like this. But for mine it didn’t work :(

When Assist come out and check the car again, presumably it will show an error code on a screen? Maybe take a picture on your phone so you can show it to the Dealer? Then kick up a fuss if they refuse to do anything, contact Audi Customer Service if necessary (Audi UK, not the dealer).

When Assist come out and check the car again, presumably it will show an error code on a screen? Maybe take a picture on your phone so you can show it to the Dealer? Then kick up a fuss if they refuse to do anything, contact Audi Customer Service if necessary (Audi UK, not the dealer).

Thanks mate ye will do that! Last time the assist guy did leave the fault code print out in the car but they couldn’t do anything coz it was fine when Audi checked it out even though they knew what the code was. Just been out to try it and still not starting.

Audi assis are here now guess what soon as he pressed the start button it started up! Arrrrr dam annoying I have tried it 3x this morn wtf

Intermittent problems are the hardest to address, unfortunately!

Reactions: DW81
He just gone.

Can see the gearbox malfunction fault. Battery voltage was fine. He thinks it’s summit to do with the keys. Said change battery’s. And if it happens again put the key close to the sensor next to the wheel. And try that. But we did try all them things except the battery change. Will just have to wait and see Gona be 1 of them problems I bet that will never get fixed :(

I had something similar with my car quite a while ago. my mrs had took it to work, got in to start it at the end of the day and it displayed some kinda fault that she couldn't remember, she tried several times whilst speaking to me on the phone to start it ( now it displayed no fault ) and it just wouldn't. I went to pick her up, jumped in and hey presto it obviously preferred me and started first time. After a day at Audi they said they couldn't see/find a fault and everything was deemed ok. The interesting bit being that the previous day to this happening with the mrs I had changed the battery on the keys as one was low so whether this had anything to with it I have no idea but seems likely after the Audi assist guy mentioned it to the op.

Right guys back to square 1. Was just at my sisters half hour away my car was on her drive for a few hours blocking her car in. It’s been snowing all day . Just went to go home and the car won’t start again!!! Arrrr. Had to get a lift home from her next door neighbor. I gave the next door neighbor my spare key to give me sis just to see. She called and said it started! So while she was on the phone to me for about 60 seconds with the car running she put the wipers on to take the snow off and the car just cut out and won’t start again! What the hell is going on! How strange is that! It’s like some kind of voltage drop causing it to cut out?

I have read before that even a loose circuit earth can cause all manor of problems. Has as been said before intermittent faults are the absolute worst.

Reactions: Frozenr6
Assis came out it started fine yet again. But it’s going in to Audi tomz. Assis guy said I can reject the car now it’s been in the 3rd time? As he said he can’t see them ever finding the fault.

Ar infact this will be the 2nd time going into Audi. But assis have been out to it 3x so maybe I can reject it yet?

I can imagine that this is starting to make your p1ss boil. I have now had to formally reject mine - it has been with the dealer for a month and they have yet to start works.

I have tossed the relevant hand grenade email into both the dealer and Audi UK Friday evening.

Reactions: AudiNutta
****** hell mate that’s a shitter, once it’s all sorted what will you be looking at car wise

Ideally I want it fixed NOW!

Failing that it will have to go back.

If so, I might go for a PFL and stick the thick end of £20k back in the bank.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Fair do’s mate, you want regret getting the PFL model mate but no saloon in this variant. Invest the 20k in bitecoin:tearsofjoy:

Ye it’s dam annoying! Just sat here now waiting for a call back to arrange hire car they said they have no rs Model Audi’s available and wanted to give me a golf gti but sod that I want something rs as it’s going to be weeks while they try find the problem. They always try fob you off with a downgrade car 1st does my nut in!

Dw81 bitcoin aye i invested 50k last year. Think how much it’s gone up now since! Hoping to buy a house with it lol

I am seriously short BTC....... Here is why -

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=XBT&to=USD&view=1Y

Bubble graph

Ye it’s dam annoying! Just sat here now waiting for a call back to arrange hire car they said they have no rs Model Audi’s available and wanted to give me a golf gti but sod that I want something rs as it’s going to be weeks while they try find the problem. They always try fob you off with a downgrade car 1st does my nut in!

Dw81 bitcoin aye i invested 50k last year. Think how much it’s gone up now since! Hoping to buy a house with it lol

You won’t get an RS, they really do not have any RS’ on fleet but you could blag your way into an S3, S4 or S5... A6?

They have called now 3x 1st car was an a6 s line, 2nd a5, 3rd a7. All basic. Said don’t want none want an rs. As they do have rs models they told me on phone but none available right now. I no the car is gona be in there weeks!! So want a decent car atleast.

They have called now 3x 1st car was an a6 s line, 2nd a5, 3rd a7. All basic. Said don’t want none want an rs. As they do have rs models they told me on phone but none available right now. I no the car is gona be in there weeks!! So want a decent car atleast.
New A7 should be nice, even a basic one? Take your point though, you've paid to drive an RS.

Old shape a7 mate

Wouldn’t mind a new shape though.

Reactions: D0C
They called today again Said Audi s5 but refused that as well. They said will have an rs model within the next couple days.