Wesleyrs3

Reaction score
hi guys hope you can help.

I have a 2017 facelift Audi RS3 .
Today I was driving the car and all of a sudden the gearbox malfunction light came on but told me to continue driving .
Short Moment later told me to park up .
After that when I would try to select a gear and a light on the dash would come on to say gearbox malfunction.
If it luckily selected again it would judder and shake and not go over first gear.

I called out the RAC who diagnosed her to tell me that I have a secondary clutch malfunction.

Has anybody else experienced this does anybody know what I need to do next I have believe after reading some of the above forums that the clutch is not covered under warranty so what can I do ?
Do I even need a new clutch

Please help

The clutches are a function of the gearbox and they are definitely covered under warranty. To replace clutches the box would have to come out.

However it could be many other things causing the problem.eg mechatronic. Usually with a clutch problem yiu will have odd or even gears functionality as one set of plates in the DSG fails. Take it to the dealer for repair.

100% covered under warranty. Sounds more like mechatronic issue.

Woke up this morning waited for the car to warm up after starting.
Then it drove completely normal no errors no calls no malfunction and went into every gear completely normal including reverse.
Juddered once I am so confused do you guys recommend anything

Woke up this morning waited for the car to warm up after starting.
Then it drove completely normal no errors no calls no malfunction and went into every gear completely normal including reverse.
Juddered once I am so confused do you guys recommend anything
The fact it juddered even once would suggest something isn't quite right. I'd get it into Audi to investigate.

The fact it juddered even once would suggest something isn't quite right. I'd get it into Audi to investigate.
Do you reckon I should drive it to or have it recovered?
Waiting for somebody to come and complete a full diagnostic will keep you updated

I’d get recovery to investigate on this, these gearboxes and components are quite expensive when they go wrong.

Have you not got Audi assist, pretty sure it comes with all new Audi’s. If you have get them out and they will let you know if safe to drive or needs to be recovered.

Reactions: Wesleyrs3 and D0C
Do you reckon I should drive it to or have it recovered?
Waiting for somebody to come and complete a full diagnostic will keep you updated
As per @TYb below. Get Audi to tell you, then it's covered.

Is it me, or do there seem to be more problems happening on the FL than the PFL?

Thank you guys I think I will give Audi Key a sister called to be on the safe side.

I have had a mechanic out this morning who diagnosed and could not find any problems with it at all we then drove it and it doesn’t even shorter or make a single sound and drives perfect in normal again .
The mechanic said “ sometimes when you beat the car too much it goes into a safety lock for around 12 hours “

Has anybody else heard anything like that because that was news to me .

Also I’m not sure whether this makes a difference but the car has been parked for nearly 4 months with a cover over it and the battery disconnected.

Only started it yesterday after four months and also had a stage one remap I should’ve mentioned that esrlier, please advise.

Remap? Need to tread carefully with Audi then as no way imho will they pay up on a ****** gearbox in a mapped car.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DW81 and deanshaw24
Remap? Need to tread carefully with Audi then as no way imho will they pay up on a ****** gearbox in a mapped car.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
Correct if you’ve had a stage one map they will void your gearbox warranty instantly I’m afraid, as the map will have a direct effect on the clutch pack

If you are parking up the car for long periods, rather than disconnecting the battery have you thought about investing in one of those ctek trickle chargers.
Just my opinion but the gearbox ecu may of had an off day with it being disconnected from the batteries power source.

A very low battery can cause all sorts of glitches, it may have been the cause of the problem. Scan the car and if no codes then make sure battery is good and just drive it.

Reactions: Wesleyrs3
I disconnected the battery on my Mk7 GTI for 4 months last year and when I reconnected it after returning from my trip away, the car came up with multiple errors on the MFD.

Drove it for around 30 minutes and all's been fine since. Although mine's a manual, it just goes to show things can happen while it 's turned off and it'll take a while for it to settle down.

Reactions: Wesleyrs3
I would get that remap removed. There is a problem. It needs to go to Audi.

You might get lucky if you remove the remap. But if you don’t they will catch you out.