RNS-E - Display on the DIS

Cyrix

Reaction score
I've an RNS-E, works great, I had the old joystick controlled type previously.

Just wondering if it's normal for the instructions to appear on the DIS as well as the RNS-E, ideally I would like to stop it displaying on the DIS, any ideas?

I take it you mean the nav instructions when route guidance is active?

There's no way of disabling it completely but you can just use the button on the bottom of the right-hand stalk to select a different screen on the DIS.

Not sure if recoding the dash and saying it aint got sat nav will turn off the DIS, but it might affect other functions, you'd have to test it... and you may get errors on the RNS-E when you plug in...

thinking about it, it doesnt do it everytime, i think you might be right about selecting another screen on the dis, it's doing no harm just looks a little cheap

It only come up when you have selected a route & pressing the button under the stalk does indeed remove it & shows the other functions. I find it is of use when navigating as it has the countdown bar that is handy as the map can be a bit vague depending on zoom level.

I agree dis usage is very handy, as the woman can be an annoying cow.

She went a slight bit weird in france, switz was fine but guess the airs cleaner there & well Italy she was very obnoxious & stubborn.

The nav lady is great, especially when you are in some complicated junction or there is alot going on on the road which prevents you from glancing down at the DIS. all you have to do is press the right steering wheel button and the nav lady will announce how many feet (maybe in rods or poles for commonwealth central) and you keep pressing it and she will more or less do a countdown. Great if you are flying down switchbacks in the rain.

Yeah but she doesnt give you a BJ whilst sitting in traffic to ease the stress does she

What you expect they're dirty biatches over there, you need a diagnostic test, ask Paddy where your port is to plug in

If your wife is not there to nag you, you can keep pressing the left steering wheel button to simulate a nagging wife, telling you when to turn constantly.

Oh thats brilliant, so as I'm not married, I can test the marraige mode with this button & see if I should propose, I'll update later if I will or not.

In the next 200 days take the ring route and continue down that road for another 65 years until you reach your final destination. :)

Alternative route...

Take her first or second exit weekly, beware of punctures...

my best thing with my RNS-e so far, is when i programmed it to take me to a hotel in manchester, i got into the city centre by the arndale and it just simply stopped and said "your now in the vercinity of your destination"... yes i agreed i was near it, but not at it!

It does have some weird idiosyncracies. I set my home location actually on a big roundabout near my house (never program your actual home address into the directory people!) and when I approach home she says "In 300 yards, a roundabout", which always makes me chuckle.

As LWNY mentioned, the right button can be very handy. Not only does it repeat the last instruction or tell you how far it is to the next turn, but it also works if the voice guidance is switched off. I sometimes turn the voice off on longer trips so I can listen to music uninterrupted and then enable it again when I get closer to the destination. If I do need help I can just prod the button to get the last instruction that would have been given had the voice been enabled :)