Retrofitting Cruise Control (Be nice I've searched the forum already :) )

evilbane

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys, after the help I received from you guys about the Throttle Body replacement, and fitting the new one.
I now have the modding bug :eyebrows:, I'm wanting to retrofit Cruise Control on the car, I have researched the forum for around an hour now, and realise I need the correct Steering control Module, Rosstech says if you have at least the Board Computer in the car, MPG etc, then you have at least a Midline Module, and thus Cruise Control compatible, with activation, Steering Wheel Control Module Versions - Ross-Tech Wiki

I'm just wanting help with someone confirming that Rosstech are correct, and that if I do have the MPG,distance etc, then my SCU will accept the Cruise Control, or if no one can confirm this, can someone point me in the right direction on how to be able to get the part number of the Module?
I dont have access to VCDS, though I will be buying it in the near future, few months (Hopefully, depends on the Girlfriend :sly:)

My car is a January 2005 TDI 3 Door, if that actually makes a difference.

Thanks in advance guys :thumbsup:

Given what you have said, the best thing to do is to ring Dave at Stoke Audi and give him your VIN and ask him to quote you for the bits. They are sponsors of this forum so you will get the best price.

He will then tell you what the cost of the kit is. If it's about £80 - £90 then you don't need a new steering ecu. If it nearer £250 then you do !

EDIT - or you could PM me with it and I'll try and check on ETKA

Last edited:
might be better if you post on his section of the forum - go to the main page and look near the bottom.

he gets loads of PMs a day, and tho he's prompt at replying i tend to find he's faster on there. plus that way someone else who needs the same info can look it up as well

best of luck

I've sent him a message through there website contact form, but I'll post over there as well, as like you said, it may help other people in the future.

From your VIN ETKA indicates that the retrofit cruise control kit does not include the ecu.

That means that regardless of which unit you have it is almost certainly (99.9%) suitable for cruise control.

The part number for the retro fit is :- 8P0 054 690 plus 8P0 953 512 A (6PS) which is the lower cowl.

Good news - :beerchug:

Brilliant news mate, thanks a bunch for the help, I'll wait for AudiStoke to get to me now with the price.

I also read something about certain models not having a Control wire fitted, Just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this, as the information seems a little sketchy?

As there seems to be no definitive guide on retrofitting cruise control in Audi A3 8p's, I'll make sure I make one up with pics etc when I fit mine.

As there seems to be no definitive guide on retrofitting cruise control in Audi A3 8p's, I'll make sure I make one up with pics etc when I fit mine.

There is alot of threads on how you retrofit cruise, there is a thread that i wrote in with a full description on how to retrofit.

The basics are, streering wheel off, bottom and top steering rack covers off, ecu off (from bottom of rack), pull old indicator stalk off and put new one on, then fit everything in reverse.

VCDS plug in, enable cruise in engine management ecu and coding on steering ecu. job done.

If you need the control wire, it's one wire you push into the connector on the steering ecu to a connector under the dash and it's nightmare to see at first but when you see it you use a pair of pliers and push the wire in, but i think 2005 might be ok.

try looking on ebay for the kit, i got mine for £20, which is the stalk, wire, then bought the bottom cover from audi, saved a pretty penny.

Chances are you will have the control wire already fitted. Anyway the kit includes it !

Goes between pin 13 on the steering ecu and pin 4 on the blue connector under the dash on drivers side.

There is a retro fit guide somewhere but I can't remember where !! If you're used to doing mods and/or pretty handy diy-wise you won't have a problem. Took me about an hour without knowing anything other than I had the right ecu !! Had to get the right spline socket to remove the steering wheel though.

Cost for everything should be about £90 from Audi. You will then need to code the steering ecu and engine ecu with VCDS.

Good luck !

Last edited: