Retrofit rnse, cd changer, phone pre and MFSW from a doner car

churny

Reaction score
I have just bought a 57 plate a4 with a concert double din unit and am planning on adding the toys from my old 55 plate a4. I have already swopped the leather but now for all the wiring.

I bought an adapter which converts the concert loom to a quadlock that will fit my rnse unit and removed the glovebox ready to install the cd changer. My first question of many is which cd changer cable and where to get one, I assume I need the one that fits into a concert head unit as it will then plug into the adapter I have. If I use a cable that fits the rnse unit it looks like I will have to patch some of the wires into other areas of the adapter and I don't really want to do that if possible.

I need to remove the phone module from my old car is it under the passenger seat ?

thanks

Progress today, I removed the concert unit and discovered that the previous owner had fitted a phone kit what a mess. Luckily he hadn't cut any of the original wires and had just patched in a new quadlock so I was able to remove the two boxes and miles of spaghetti wires quite easy. I wasn't expecting the concert unit to have a quadlock so the adapter I bought isn't required.
I have ordered a OEM cd changer cable which comes with instructions for fitting so touch wood that's the music sorted as my rnse unit is up and running.
One question is my car has Bose and the doner car didn't so will my unit utilise Bose or will it need codeing?

Next is the phone module, I think it is under the passenger seat and I don't know if I can reuse the cable or if a new one is required. where is the microphone in a factory fit ?

Think I should start posting pics just in case it helps anyone else

Cd changer cable arrived with instructions, genuine OEM. Have ordered a kafatec cable for the phone module and will be mounting it behind the glovebox once removed from the doner car.

thanks s8craig, that's saved me time

Removed everything I need from the doner car. The new looms have arrived from Kafutec so hope to get it all done tomorrow. The phone module was easier to remove than I thought it would be, I removed the seat and by removing just the plastic sill trim I was able to reach under the carpet and remove the module. The new loom includes a wire to run to the mic so I can use the OEM microphone. I am hoping that because the rnse unit was used with the phone prep in the doner car it will work without coding. I will however need coding for the aux cable to work.

Just a side note I put the concert unit into the doner car and it doesn't want to work. I assumed as the rnse unit worked in my new car the quadlock units were pretty standard with just more wires added for the extra toys

anyone know how to remove the A pillar trim, to route the mic cable

Lots of progress today, the phone works as does the cd changer. The mic was easy to route with the A frame trim removed thanks again mikep99. one little issue with swopping the glove-boxes over was that the 57 plate had an airbag switch but the doner car didn't, but I just had to relocate the switch to the glove-box I am using and change over the loom. The issue I haven't sorted and any help would be great is that the rear speakers aren't working. They are buzzing so must be connected up, but no sound at all I have just used the fader to run on just the front speakers at the moment. My two thoughts as to why are the new car is Bose and the doner car wasn't so is it a coding problem or the adapter I bought from kafutec is not the right one. Will email Kafutec to check and do some searches to see if its the coding. Next is the aux and MFSW which I know I will need coding.
One last bit of help where is the aux socket if fitted OEM as I don't know where best to site mine.

No probs churny,
For info. the coding on my RNS-E is 0309757 - this is with phone/cd changer/MFSW & aux in.
Do you know what yours is coded as at the moment?
Going off the Ross-Tech website - http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Audi_Radio/Navigation_System_(RNS-E)
I think you'll just need to add 4 to each of the last 2 numbers in the code.
Depends what it is now though...
Not sure about your back speakers though...
ta
Mike

Thanks mikep99 I cant do any coding etc I was going to get that all done when I have done the donkey work. As my rnse unit came out of a car with cd changer and phone prep I hoped they would work without further coding. The rear speakers not working seem to be a Bose problem, I think the bose amp in the boot drives the rear speakers and that seems to be my problem. Having done a search there may be a pin you have to change for Bose ?

Think I may have solved the rear speakers problem but I cant check till I get home on Wednesday. On the initial wiring there was only one brown wire connected to the blue socket on the quad lock. when I installed the cd changer the loom from audi had to take a brown wire feed from the 12 pin and then I plugged the loom in with its own blue socket.It has just occurred to me that the original wire I had is loose and not connected to anything :( schoolboy error. I presume that is the wire the rear amp needs which in turn runs the rear speakers.
There is a lot of static and feedback coming through the rear speakers as you use indicators etc during driving which I hope will go when I sort the loose wire.

I'm about to carry out an rnse retrofit on my car I have the half amp system so wondered if this is same as yours? If you have bose from what I understand all speakers and sub are run from the amp. So surely even your fronts wouldn't work?? I can only find a harness for bose or non bose and im not sure if non bose powers the rear amp as anyone I ask selling the leads doesn't know or says I need to find out bose or non bose.

Connected the loose wire to its correct position, and still no rear speakers. I disconnected the Kafutec adapter that runs the phone module and everything is fine again, rear speakers :)
The phone module was fine in the doner car so must be a problem with the Kafutec cable. I have emailed them to see if they sell different adapters for Bose and non Bose or if its just a faulty product.
Seems strange that the phone works fine with clear sound, and yet I'm getting problems with the rear speakers.

Think I know what is causing the rear speakers not to work. :)
I contacted Kufatec to check they had sent me the right adapter, they asked me how many vacant pins were on the adapter. I then removed the BT module and used their adapter as just a pass through just to check it wasn't the phone module to blame, still no rear speakers pretty confident its the adapter.
The original car loom only has two vacant pins but the female part of their adapter has four, hopefully they have supplied the wrong adapter and a new one will sort everything.

I have identified the missing pins as CDC-NF GND & CDC NFL in any ideas, I'm speaking to Kufatec but they don't seem to be able to help. Strange one as the phone works 100% and is crystal clear.

Went and looked at exactly with pins are populated on my original loom and then had another look at the Kufatec adapter. I am now sure the pins I am missing from the adapter should be 5 & 11 on the cars (c) green connector, which are Line out RL and Line out RR. Now I need to find out once I populate these pins where I should make the connection on the adapter, however Kufatec arnt much help :(

Can somebody let me know does the OEM BT work on all the speakers or just the fronts when factory fitted.

Spoke to the tech at Kufatec, problem is indeed the missing pins and Bose. PITA but have removed the loom and returned it to Kufatec and they have promised to fully populate the pins so its fully plug and play, time will tell.

Have also ordered a new drive for my Rnse unit as the laser is on the way out :(

Bit of an update, I have replaced the drive in my rnse unit and plugged in the new gps antenna. The drive replacement was fairly straight forward thanks to a good walkthrough on the TT forum although there are slight differences. I now have working satnav :) although at first it thought I was in the North sea.
Still waiting for the adapter to come back from Kufatec so no phone.
I'm really enjoying working on the car and cant wait to complete the retrofit with the MFSW.

finally got the adapter back from kufatec, and it had all the pins populated and was plug and play :)
So everything is working nicely, the BT module fits nicely behind the glovebox. Just the aux in to connect ( I haven't decided where yet ) but that will need coding. As I had the A trim removed I ran the gps antenna up behind the interior light unit,and its seems to be getting a great signal.

I have also bought a copy of VCDS to have a look at, I will need it when I fit the MFSW. Guess I will find out how difficult doing your own coding is :)

any update on that MFSW, churny?

I'm thinking of doing the same myself...

A bit busy at work at the moment but going to tackle the MFSW asap