Retrofit High Beam Assist possible?

Snook

Mr_Snook
Reaction score
Is this possible guys? Sorry if this has already been covered previously :)

I've activated this using VCDS on my mates Octavia VRS it depends if you have the camera system there already I think the lane assist camera does both. Saved him paying out for the option think it was £300 !!

I don't unfortunately :( Reordered without mono.pur and High beam assist, something I feel I should have added.

I've ordered with high beam assist but without lane assist so the Audi must use a different camera system possibly I'm waiting to see if I have the triangle camera on the windscreen (which does lane assist) or if the camera is built into the rear view mirror. If the latter it maybe not such a huge job.

Just looked at Audi configurator and it says only in combination with Auto dimming rear view mirror or Comfort package, which could suggest it requires that. Hmmm.....

Hmmm indeed that would suggest the dimming rear view mirror which is part of the comfort pack has the camera built in - do you have that and does it look to have an obvious camera or lens cover at the front facing the windshield ? Don't have my car yet so can't check mine.

Oooo this sounds interesting I have comfort package on my S3 but no high beam assist, I'll go check..........

39762D48-89FE-447B-83E1-E55392770F60.jpg
There is a small white square that is forward facing but it doesn't look to be a camera lense but quite possibly a light sensor

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2k68
I have High Beam Assist but no auto dimming rear view mirror so that blows that theory! But I do have the Drivers Assistance Package!

Does drivers assist include lane assist with the triangle camera on the windshield ? That's what my Leon has and that doubles as high beam assist. Looking at the pic of the rear view mirror that square must be a light sensor and do the same job .... just need to try the VCDS to prove it out. For a £100 option it can't involve extra hardware so I'm thinking it should work.

if you have driver assist package or lane assist (included in driver assist) the car can use the lane assist camera (triangle on top of window) for high beam assist.
the only catch is that it will initiate after 65 km/hour which is the speed that lane assist turns on.
If you have the mirror with the light sensor at the back and bought high beam assist included in some other package , I think that the beam assist will initiate
at a lower speed. (I think its 35km/h but im not sure).

I have the triangle camera for lane assist and have changed the high beam assist activation speed from 57kph to 32kph and deactivation from 27kph to 16kph.

Reactions: maccalo
High beam assist comings can be found at the link below. It's Skoda rather than Audi but also worked on my Seat as they're all the same platform so might be worth having a go.

Only thing to bear in mind is that some of the adaptation channel numbers can be different depending on what equipment the car has fitted so look to exactly match the channel name rather than number :-

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/299424-octavia-iii-vcds-adaptations-tried-and-tested/

HIgh beam assist usually has a camera in the back of the mirror, afaik if the mirror doesn't have this then its not possible, but I've fitted high beam assist to 8P's & most chassis follow the same requirement path for this feature.

I'm happy to do a retrofit of the system for you if you like if you have none of the systems installed currently.

Perhaps I can throw a little light on this...

Looking at the ETKA parts catalogue the code for High Beam Assist is 8G1 (the same as the option code). Looking at the part numbers for the interior mirror there are different parts numbers for the mirror for 'with 8G0' (WITHOUT high beam assist) and 'with 8G1' (WITH hight beam assist).
The only numbers that include 8G1 are the anti-dazzle mirror and these are priced at £411.60.

So it would seem that the High Beam Assist is controlled by a special version of the anti-dazzle interior mirror and if it's not already fitted a new mirror will be required. I may be wrong but that is how a I read the information.

This is correct, high beam assist uses the mirror with a camera within.

So in short it looks like I can enable it as I have the auto dimming mirror with a forward facing sensor, I just need VCDS........

^ No. The forward facing sensor pictured in post #8 is for the auto dimming function in the interior mirror.

High Beam Assist does not use this sensor (it's very crude), but an additional camera as part of the mirror assembly (different to the DA camera), if you don't have DA.

Last edited:
I have high beam assist but not auto dimming rear view mirror. It came as part of the drivers assistance pack.

I have high beam assist but not auto dimming rear view mirror. It came as part of the drivers assistance pack.

Correct, if you have DA, then there already is a forward facing camera in the screen.

If you have the Driver assistance package (PCE), this contains the Audi active lane assist (PCB) which in turn includes the Auto dimming rear-view mirror (PU7). The Auto-dimming rear-view in your car will be the one with the High beam assist sensor.

For more details see page 76 of the current A3/S3 Pricing and Specification Guide - December 2014.

Can someone take a picture of the camera in the rear view mirror for comparison with post #8 above please?

If you have the Driver assistance package (PCE), this contains the Audi active lane assist (PCB) which in turn includes the Auto dimming rear-view mirror (PU7). The Auto-dimming rear-view in your car will be the one with the High beam assist sensor.

For more details see page 76 of the current A3/S3 Pricing and Specification Guide - December 2014.

Like I said earlier. I don't have the auto dimming rear view mirror.

Like I said earlier. I don't have the auto dimming rear view mirror.
In that case Audi must have forgotten to fit one, because it is in the options you have paid for. Either that or you have not noticed it working. It is rather subtle were it operates and just takes the strong glare out of the following car headlights.

Sorry to hijack the thread! It's not listed as part of the DA pack in the brochure I have nor the app:

D43287FC-A148-4E0D-9476-849ABF4478DE.png

Sorry to hijack the thread! It's not listed as part of the DA pack in the brochure I have nor the app:/QUOTE]

Where did you purchase you car, because what you have printed is not how it is included in the UK brochures...

Option PCE - Driver assistance package. Contains all of the following assistance functions: Adaptive cruise control, Audi active
lane assist (PCB),
High beam assistant (8G1), Audi parking system plus front and rear (7X2), light and rain sensor
and sunband with acoustic windscreen (PU8). Not available in combination with Comfort Package (WBI). Only in
combination with Colour Driver’s Information System (9S6) on SE models

Option PCB - Audi active lane assist. Lane markings are registered by an optical sensor in the windscreen above speeds of
approximately 40mph. Camera identifies individual or coloured lane markings, e.g. yellow lines at roadworks.
The lane departure warning system warns the driver if a detected lane marking is approached without indicating,
and helps the driver to steer back towards the middle of the lane by making gentle steering movements. Steering
wheel vibration can be activated as an additional warning when crossing lane markings. System is activated
manually by a switch on the turn signal lever. Also includes High-beam assist (8G1) and light and rain sensor
(windscreen sunband not included). When ordered with Technology package, speed limit display is included as
a no-cost option. Only in combination with Light and rain sensor package (PU8), Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
(PU7),
Comfort package (WBI), Xenon light package (WB6), LED light pack (PG1) or LED headlights (PX7). Also
available as part of the Driver assistance package (PCE)

If you purchased the car outside they UK then it may well have a totally different specification but the OP is talking about a UK spec car.

But as I read the Pricing and Specification brochure Option PCE Driver assistance package includes the PCB Audi lane assist package which says that it is only in conjunction with the PU7 Auto-dimming rear-view mirror.

Do you have the Audi active lane assistance on your car ?

So looking at the pic in post #8 and comparing with the pic in #23 it looks like the one in #8 is indeed just a light sensor probably in order to monitor the light at the front of the vehicle with that of the rear and if the rear is brighter then dip the mirror - makes sense. The camera for lane assist sits lower and is much larger so it should be easy to see which you have fitted.

Typo correction to my post #30 last sentence should read :-

The camera for HIGH BEAM ASSIST sits lower and is much larger so it should be easy to see which you have fitted.

Maybe yet another error in the brochure has been uncovered.
Could well be. It would not be the first time!!

The slightly odd thing is that ETKA only seems to list a rear-view mirror suitable for the High Beam Assist option as be an auto-dimming version.

Last edited:
This is a photo of my DA camera. I couldn't capture the manual interior mirror but believe me it is the one with a flick switch at the bottom to change between dim and non-dim. Ignore the dashcam to the right. The PU7 option with my LED headlights would have added another £245 and I didn't think it was worth it.
IMG 2029

^ interesting

They have fitted the Lane Assist monochrome camera (the trapezoidal shape).

That is the identical setup as my Leon and my mates Octavia, the trapezoidal shaped camera does both lane assist and high beam assist. The small circle below it which is difficult to see is the rain sensor for the wipers.

Would be good to see a pic from someone who has high beam assist without any driver assist options.

Shame it's not possible without the camera as the sensor it self on the comfort pack is there to detect light coming into the cabin. I missed this option off and for a £100 it could have been handy really.

This is a photo of my DA camera. I couldn't capture the manual interior mirror but believe me it is the one with a flick switch at the bottom to change between dim and non-dim. Ignore the dashcam to the right. The PU7 option with my LED headlights would have added another £245 and I didn't think it was worth it.
View attachment 49713

P.S. Im very impressed with my transcend, how's yours going? Did you ever get that tape to hide the silver rim?

Shame it's not possible without the camera as the sensor it self on the comfort pack is there to detect light coming into the cabin. I missed this option off and for a £100 it could have been handy really.

P.S. Im very impressed with my transcend, how's yours going? Did you ever get that tape to hide the silver rim?

Yes also very pleased. I bought some matt black wrap and covered the branding and other chrome work and it;s almost invisible. I've just bought a second Transcend for the rear. What also impressed me was that I went away on holiday for 2 weeks (car in my garage) and the capacitor kept the time perfectly after all that time.

Yes also very pleased. I bought some matt black wrap and covered the branding and other chrome work and it;s almost invisible. I've just bought a second Transcend for the rear. What also impressed me was that I went away on holiday for 2 weeks (car in my garage) and the capacitor kept the time perfectly after all that time.

You'll have upload some pics, I've not wrapped mine yet but every time I look at it I think jeezzz that's nice and shiny lol

You going wire the rear into boot socket?