Q5 Replaced coolant bottle, but cascading effect of things breaking :(

mda99das

Reaction score
I had an issue with the aux. water pump, and got this replaced when my Q5 (2016 Diesel) was due for its service.
The coolant reservoir looked dirty and I asked the guy if someone previously put oil in there, (the mrs could have done this) but thats what it looked like.
I suggested changing the bottle for a clean one, and the garage agreed . The coolant was changed at the same time.
Everything was fine.
Fast forward 2 weeks later, got a alert on the EMS saying turn off engine immediately and check coolant.
I did that, and it turns out that the pipe had come off from the overflow. Try as I might, I was unable to put this back on even after removing the clip, it looked like I could not compress the O ring. I called the AA out, and he struggled to and he used needle nose pliers to do it. He then looked at the clips on the back of the reservoir had broken, and he did a real good job with the cable ties.

I took the car to the garage the next day, and he said that the problem is that the parts become brittle after a while and break. When you had the old bottle there, the co-efficient of thermal expansion was the same. The newer is more flexible, and the pressure popped it off and broke the clips.
He suggested changing the 2 hoses. I told him to be super careful. I told him to change the coolant as the AA guy used water.
He told me that it was very difficult access but he managed to change the parts and had to break the old part.
I took it home and so far so good, but I am really worried that I am going to set of a chain reaction where chaning old for new will cause failure at another point.
People have mentioned the nipple clips. Should I be right to be worried? I cant be dealing with coolant leaks every time. The repair done by the AA guy looks mechanically sound as the forces counteract each other, and the front clip could have had similar with a new O ring. Love to hear thoughts from others that have had similar.

Clip cable tie

Attachments

• clip dammage.jpg
    clip dammage.jpg
    635.6 KB · Views: 53
  • hoses 1.jpg
    hoses 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
  • hoses 2.jpg
    hoses 2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 67
  • reservoir front.jpg