Removal of B-Pillar exterior trim

fRAiLtY-

Reaction score
Hi all, first post and new A3 owner. Recently bought an 05 plate 2.0 TDI with 70k and all the major belts and bits done, finding it a lot better than I expected!

One problem I've got to fix is the drivers side B-Pillar trim between the 2 windows has been damaged and is peeling. I'm going to wrap it but need to get it off and probably more importantly back on.

I see 3 rivets when I open the door but can't seem to find any further fixings. If I drill these 3 rivets out does it just slip out or is there more to it? I've attached a pic of what I mean:

3e0182b7af81908d690110c33dbb9de4.jpg

I managed to find info on a 5 door that suggested it was only 3 rivets but it feels pretty well held in all over. Also, I have a rivet gun and rivets in the following sizes: 2.4mm, 3.2mm, 4mm and 4.8mm - are any of these a fit when replacing?

Kind regards

on 5 door on bottom you got 2 screws (plastic cover on top of them) shouldn't be any rivets there, on 3 door (that suggest the photo) if you take off the interior trim you can check it up if its only glued or screwed as well.

Sorry yes it's a 3 door, will try and get the interior trim off for a look.

You're right mate, all you have to do is remove the 3 rivets and slide the B pillar trim forwards as there's a couple of brackets on the trim that locate when the trims pushed towards the glass, there shouldn't be any adhesive or tape they should just slide off. (See the image to see said brackets)

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,401
I had exactly the same problem with mine mate, completely ruined the look! I did have a look at taking mine off but saw the rivets and I don't have a river gun, so I took it to a friends body shop and they only charged me £25 to get them re done.

Attachments

• IMG_0262.PNG
    IMG_0262.PNG
    316.8 KB · Views: 1,435
  • IMG_0263.PNG
    IMG_0263.PNG
    341.9 KB · Views: 1,345
  • IMG_0261.PNG
    IMG_0261.PNG
    1,009.5 KB · Views: 1,553
  • IMG_0260.PNG
    IMG_0260.PNG
    995.8 KB · Views: 1,929
Maybe worth popping to a body shop and getting a quote

You're right mate, all you have to do is remove the 3 rivets and slide the B pillar trim forwards as there's a couple of brackets on the trim that locate when the trims pushed towards the glass, there shouldn't be any adhesive or tape they should just slide off. (See the image to see said brackets)

Thanks all, will consider my options. Out of interest do you know what size the rivets are?

Thanks all, will consider my options. Out of interest do you know what size the rivets are?
I remember using a 1/8th drill bit to take the heads off and if I remember correctly 3.2mm should be the correct size so you should be fine with what you have.

I remember using a 1/8th drill bit to take the heads off and if I remember correctly 3.2mm should be the correct size so you should be fine with what you have.

Fantastic, and if the wrapping fails miserably then I'll give the body shop a shout. Thanks both for your help.

Im thinking of removing mine and getting them sprayed body colour, not sure how that would look ..anybody done this ?

Let us know how you get on mate whether it's an easy job or not

Hi There,

I had the same problem on my S-Line, so I drilled the rivets out, extremely slowly might I add, once they're all drilled out, mine had Double Sided Tape along the top, and a lip at the bottom which sat under the door trim, I couldn't remember unscrewing anything?

I replaced mine with the Glossy RS3 ones, and if you order new parts from TPS they will tell you the rivets you require. Equally if you're wrapping them, have a look at the part number on the back ,and just give them the part number of the B Pillar, and from there EKTA should allow them to tell you the part number, and or size for the rivets.

You can do this yourself, if you have a rivet gun, annoyingly the part of the rivet that drops off when punched falls into the car (Unless i put the rivet in the wrong way. Either way - they're both still on the car :)

if its for repainting what about leaving it as is and just use painting tape and plastic cover around?

Had a spare half hour today so had a go at this. Drilled the rivets out easily no problem at all. Was a bit of a struggle to remove it after that, don't think it was stuck as there is no adhesive residue, just pressure fit I think.

I'm quite pleased with it, it's certainly better than before so an immediate improvement if not perfect.

A before and after

6cae3757e75b0431db9e1e00c7666f33.jpg

eae67cab26d0a18742b23dd352d81f34.jpg

Comments appreciated, although not if you're a professional vinyl fitter as I'm not! :)

Reactions: Marek196c
Painting would probably have been the better option, however I'm quite OCD about things that look tatty, so this needed to be done quick and it's a vast improvement. I've also swapped both key fobs for new ones and swapped the insides and blade over as they were all worn, chipped and cracked. Exciting mods so far eh!

Glad you managed to get this sorted :)

Hi all, first post and new A3 owner. Recently bought an 05 plate 2.0 TDI with 70k and all the major belts and bits done, finding it a lot better than I expected!

One problem I've got to fix is the drivers side B-Pillar trim between the 2 windows has been damaged and is peeling. I'm going to wrap it but need to get it off and probably more importantly back on.

I see 3 rivets when I open the door but can't seem to find any further fixings. If I drill these 3 rivets out does it just slip out or is there more to it? I've attached a pic of what I mean:

3e0182b7af81908d690110c33dbb9de4.jpg

I managed to find info on a 5 door that suggested it was only 3 rivets but it feels pretty well held in all over. Also, I have a rivet gun and rivets in the following sizes: 2.4mm, 3.2mm, 4mm and 4.8mm - are any of these a fit when replacing?

Kind regards

Hi
I have a 2008 Audi A3 5 door Sportback. Will the removable smaller panel be fixed with rivets or screws?

5 door is screwed. Remove plastic trim at bottom and it’s under there.