1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Rear diff noisy.

joe6886 Aug 5, 2008

1. joe6886

joe6886 Registered User

Anyone elses rear diff quite noisy? Mine has started to whine quite a bit, mainly when coasting or when you ease off the accelerator.

Anyone else had this problem? Likely diagnosis?

Thanks
    Joe.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!!

hav you had the haldex serviced recently? 20k oil change and 40k filter change i believe

4. joe6886

joe6886 Registered User

Yep did it myself not long ago. The casing is all bone dry so its not dumped all the oil.

5. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!!

dunno then fella....i gather you did use the Audi haldex oil...other than that im out

6. joe6886

joe6886 Registered User

Yep, genuine Audi oil and filter. Thanks anyway.

7. jonS3

jonS3 Registered User

what about the actual diff oil? has that been changed?

I get bored of typing this, but the haldex has it's own oil and filter, and the diff has it's own oil.....

8. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Daddy

Are you sure it's the diff? What's the noise like? I only ask as I'm sure i've read topics where people's choice of tyre has caused a wiirrrhhing(sp?) / monaing noise from the rear at certain speeds and on coastdown.

9. joe6886

joe6886 Registered User

Yeah its defo the rear diff. The tyres are fine, they are being changed on the weekend so if it is them the problem should be eliminated if it is them. Its just like a whining noise as you ease off the gas.

I know the Haldex is a seperate system, so yeah i'll look into changing the diff oil next. Was just wondering if its a common thing or if anyone has had to replace anything like the diff before.

10. cwoods

cwoods Registered User

Hi there, did you get this sorted? I have a similar problem on my A3 Quattro Sport, have changed the Haldex oil and filter but the problem remains. As you say it fine under load/accelerating but whines when slowing down or cruising.

Thanks

11. Spacecowboy

Spacecowboy Registered User

When should the oil in the diff be changed? What are the mileage intervals?

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Westy

Westy Registered User

Is there a guide to do the rear diff oil change?

14. ianysm

ianysm Registered User

Mine makes a slight whining noise too when coasting.

15. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Daddy

Mine does this and it's strating to concern me a bit.

Also, I came out of work today and reversed on pretty much full lock and an awful screeching noise came from the back of the car. I stopped and so did the noise. I then set off forward and the car felt normal, so I pulled into a petrol station and tried to recreate the noise when reversing but couldn't. Do you think this is related?

I get the feeling i'm in for a big bill...

16. nath-w

nath-w Registered User

hi i just noticed my rear diff sounds like its whining all of a sudden when decelaerating. But from what could be a coincidence is that it started whining after i had new tyres fitted, but i only got the two front tyres changed so surely this couldnt cause a whining noise at the back of the car could it???

17. marcyp

marcyp Only me

ill add my name to this list as mine has started doing it the past few days got it booket in to get checket tmz but i think im gonna be in for a big bill aswell realy would help if some ones worket this out lol

18. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Daddy

As an update, my 'groaning' turned out to be a duff NS rear tyre. I got a local garage to change the tyre and the noise disappeared. I've also had full four wheel alignment since just to ensure there was nothing amiss with the geometry.

19. SirCharles

SirCharles Registered User

Add my name to the whining diff list too. Same problem here.

20. Az

Az Hard slammed!

I know that the rear diff is very sensitive to different tyre depths. If you have more than 3mm difference between the front and rear tyres, or even opposite tyres then this can upset the diff. Generally though all 4 tyres seem to wear quite evenly on s3's, I always replace all 4 tyres though.

21. marcyp

marcyp Only me

iv changed oil in my fount box and rear diff both didnt have any form of metal in them at all next on the list is the tyre's and if it still carrys on i guess im looking at repacing the diff or gearbox hard to find rear diffs thow =[

22. zertek2k

zertek2k Registered User

Try finding a rear diff here in aus :( no one has any idea what they are talking about, and with only 390 odd S3's over here it makes things a little bit difficult. I had to replace mine a few months back as mine let go in a big way. I want to upgrade to a peloquins lsd in the rear now tho!

23. Westy

Westy Registered User

I'm getting my rear diff oil changed in my next service as i've done 113,000 miles. Unfortunately for you lot my rear diff isn't making a noise so I cant tell you if an oil change will fix it! Though if my diff does start to make noises after the oild change we'll know that an oil change wont fix it.

24. marcyp

marcyp Only me

oil changed didnt fix it for me front or rear but that dosnt mean that i wouldnt fix other peoples, there was no metal in my oil when i changed it so im thinking it might be one of these things you have to live with not too sure yet wurrying sound thow :crying: