Rain water in all foot wells!

nick4501

Reaction score
Disaster. Last night the rain absolutely hammered down on my car and I came to it this morning to find well over an inch of water in all 4 foot-wells! :(

After a lot of swearing, I thought about how it could have happened. The car was parked very close to an over-hanging roof drain, which may have overflowed and spilled out into the drainage system at the bottom of the windscreen, but there is also a drain under the car, which is prone to blocking... Either way, I've managed to get the majority of the water out, but I'm concerned about the lasting damage to the chassis. How the hell has this happened?! :think:

What should I do?

Was the car parked up hill?
If so the water leaks in from where the pollen filter is. under the plastic cover where the wiper arms are.

Not really, no.

Is there anything I can do about it? Will it damage the chassis? I've been scooping water out all day and it's still soaking! :(

leaks in from where the pollen filter is. under the plastic cover where the wiper arms are.

Crikey are you serious!!?

That's CR*P!!

What a design oversight! Oddly enough I've had the 8L steaming up all week after it was parking facing up the hill I live on (usually sits pointing down the way) after heavy rain earlier in the week.. This now makes sense.

Where does it go when it get;s in- into the vents system or down the back of the bulkhead?

JimP

Apparantly of late, it seems to be coming from the main wiring harness black box that is near the fusebox or the pollen filter ...either can be found by removing the scuttle panel underneath the wiper arms.

It doesnt get in through the filter its where the housing meets the cars metal work. there is a seal between the two... but its drys up over the years. Best bet would be to remove the scuttle dry out the area and put a beed of silicone arount it.

Thanks mate. Will do. Is it simply a case of a few screws and the scuttle tray pops off?

I've also heard about a drainage tube that is prone to getting block near/under the battery cover. Is it possible that this is the cause? Do I have to actually remove the battery to get to it?

Im not sure about the battery tray tube but there realy is ****** all room under that cover so i would guess at yes.
You need to remove the wiper arms to get the scuttle tray off . ( make a note of where the wipers sit so they go back in the same place )
When refitting the scuttle cover becareful as it clips into the bottom of/or just bellow the screen, This need pushing in but make sure you dont bend the clip over as it will not sit down flat against the screen meaning even more water will end up around the pollen filter housing.