Raceland coilovers

marktdisport

Reaction score
another cheaper brand but just googled them with loads of great reviews anyone with a b6 tryed and tested them.... it just seems funny how all the reviews ive read are really great and no bad or yeah there ok for the money were the FK seems to get dissed really bad in all acounts

I have them on mine, i bought them to try and am very happy with them, mine is low and hardly wound down at all, no bangs knocks or squeaks and the ride is ok but i might just be lucky

If you are handy with the spanners then it may be worth a go -

I had a set of FK coilovers a few years ago on another car - the ride went really bouncy all of a sudden only to find out three of the shocks had spat out their oil a year after buying them!

I have also heard good reviews about raceland - if it were me though I would stick to the slightly more popular brands.

I personally wouldnt go near them - my philosophy is that if they cost less than one Genuine Audi shock - they-re probably not that good! :)

I bought JOMS for my golf, after 6 months they spat oil everywhere and rode like crap.

thanks for the replys, pabs how long you tested them for as your car is a lovely example..... ive just seen and purchased these for £140 so cant moan for that ....did you fit them or someone else if you did how easy is the kit to fit m8... the good thing with these are they are adjustable aint so sure the fk's are.....ill post the review once the come and get fitted Adjustable suspension Audi A4 B6/B7 | eBay

Last edited:
To quote an infamous saying - you get what you pay for!!!!

You would be better off with some decent (Eibach etc) springs on the OE shocks - they look utter bilge to be frank.

But I guess you can at least say youve tried them, when youre sat on the side of the M4/5/6 with your undercarrage on the carriageway! lol

;-)

Reactions: Venomuk and bowen
To quote an infamous saying - you get what you pay for!!!!

You would be better off with some decent (Eibach etc) springs on the OE shocks - they look utter bilge to be frank.

But I guess you can at least say youve tried them, when youre sat on the side of the M4/5/6 with your undercarrage on the carriageway! lol

;-)

They look like nearly every other coilover.

And fitting shortened springs to OE shocks is probably worse than buying budget coilovers.

Had them on for a while now no probs at all, I was gonna fit springs but got advised that my shocks would need replacing as the car is 8yrs old and done over 100k and this would cost a fortune. I read up on race lands and alot of the golf boys said they were good especially for the price.

Me and a mate of mine fitted them, everything was easy except the pinch bolt on the front that was seized. We had to get some serious heat on it to get it apart but once that was off it was pretty simple. I just made sure that when it all went back together it was all greased up.

Mine arrived within 3 days so you might get lucky and get them on for the wknd

tbh !! my car aint no show and shine and never will be i dont want to spend £600-£700 on lowering my car... it dont do track days it dont get thrashed just a motor to get to work in so my thinking is id rather go a little bit lower.....my motor as also done 130k which over small speed humps you can feel the std sport shocks are a little weak now so i need to do coilys or spend the dreaded £££ on shocks and springs... so it goes to say after reading the reviews on audizine and other forums its strange why they can be so cheap with all the good reviews.... sorry if you think there utter bilge willf but for £140 if they last 1 year they will have payed for themselves with the mileage i do....
thanks for all the comments good or bad much appreciate the honesty.. but ive now brought them anyhows so ill try them if i dont like them the std set up will go back on

i agree i am in the same boat ( infact i would have bought them ones!)

you tend to find the people that say because they are cheap they are crap either have got money to burn or havent had first hand experience of the actual coilover.... also as for the coment about anything cheaper then audi suspension isnt worth having is just daft... as new OEM suspension will be extorsion

thanks andy.....i work hard for my money and im not short but ive already this year done remap,18" Sline rs6 style alloys and tyres,dmf,clutch,rear mains,gearbox mount,lower suspension arm, brake rubber pipes, front disks n pads, rear disks n pads, so im probo into 2k in parts and labour already this year when you look at i gave 3k for the car it doesnt sound good...... my car is my daily driver and not my toy..... i love it but now getting to a point were im spending loads upgrading and renewing worn parts to the extent ive nearly brought the car again.... so i cant justify spending £600-800 on some fancy suspension to drive to work and back... maybe if i was into track days but then again a 1.9tdi isnt really a track toy is it....

Heres a pic to keep you going this is what they look like when they are on, (shameless plug but the quality and ride are both excellent and im very happy with them)

Shinearamapic.jpg

thanks andy.....i work hard for my money and im not short but ive already this year done remap,18" Sline rs6 style alloys and tyres,dmf,clutch,rear mains,gearbox mount,lower suspension arm, brake rubber pipes, front disks n pads, rear disks n pads, so im probo into 2k in parts and labour already this year when you look at i gave 3k for the car it doesnt sound good...... my car is my daily driver and not my toy..... i love it but now getting to a point were im spending loads upgrading and renewing worn parts to the extent ive nearly brought the car again.... so i cant justify spending £600-800 on some fancy suspension to drive to work and back... maybe if i was into track days but then again a 1.9tdi isnt really a track toy is it....

I know how you feel sometimes (especially with my last car, 40,000miles a year in an Ibiza Cupra was expensive on parts)
At least you have the peace of mind that everything you have done will be good for a good few years.
Do you have any idea how long you are planning on keeping the car for? If it were me and it was a long time then I would be inclined to shell out a little more on a better part.
As mentioned above I had FK's on my Ibiza as my daily drive - they were a waste of money after a year.
After that I went for Weitec coilovers (made by KW) build quality compared to FK's was a world apart - I will be looking at Weitecs again when I need any suspension work doing on the Avant.
I think its probably a case of "buy cheap - buy twice"

Reactions: bowen
I know that I may have sounded a bit harsh - but I have seen (and driven) first hand what these are like (albeit on much cheaper cars - Vauxhalls manily)

In my experience of three different cars (Nova, Vectra and 2 Corsas) the ride was either spine shattering or so spongy that the shocks would bottom out and hit the bump stops. on two of the above cars more than one shock either leaked or corroded so much within a year they failed an MOT!

Hopefully that will go some way in explaining my reaction! I know that fitting lower springs on std shocks isnt highly recommended, but my point was its more economical (and safer and cheaper in teh long run) to do that!

:)

I have them on my Avant, although not my choice. Unsure of age of them but there are no signs of wear. Ride is a little bouncy but overall a decent product for the price.

If your looking for cheap coilover id recommend them.

thanks for the comments guys love the possys and negatives...... this is how we find out about a good product..... well ive brought them so will have them fitted and see how we go....im probably keeping the car for around another year so they should see me out...

i have them on my s3 and had them on my golf vr6 and 5 years late a mate got hold of it and they where still on and still spot on

I currently run a set of the AP coilovers on my B6 tdi Quattro sport avant and i honestly do rate this suspension, they are made in the same factory as Weitec and KW and go through the same quality control system as them also.

I have run AP on the last 3 cars, all performed impeccably and without issue, you could say that i've found a product i like as have bought several times now.

Prior to this i had FK, they were fine, then bouncy as they got towards 12 mths old
Weitec, which were identical to the AP's and performed the same, just more expensive.

I've tried JOM on a mk2 golf GTi, very hard, crashy and bangy!
i've tried Raceland , also on a mk2, these performed quite well before they started to creak and squeak, then fail.

All i can say is you get what you pay for, i know, i've tried most over the years and i don't like to spend money for nothin!

hence having the AP's, £400 so mid cost but excellent value with 2 years warranty.

Just my 2 pence worth

Good review - its worth taking into account that some replies may be slightly biased as the reviewers have forked out and have them fitted - others are more impartial and have tried a few different one (or me having tried other people's)

To put into perspective - these coilovers are £140 ish
OE Audi shocks are more than that EACH
Mid-range coilovers are around the £500 mark.
Decent spec ones are around £800
Top-spec (non competition) are £2500 +

I had my FK silverlines in the past, 600-700 coilovers and fitted a few different ones to others cars, i would say Weitec being the worst and AP being middle of the road but felt great on the road.

If it was me i would probably go AP on my daily.

Over the years i've had coilovers on most things.

The AP's were fitted to :-
Audi A4 QSA
VW Golf mk5
VW Passat est (2004)

The Weitecs were fitted to:-
VW Passat est (2000)

The JOM's were fitted to:-
Mk1 and Mk2 Golf GTi's

The Racelands were fitted to:-
Mk2 Golf Gti

KW V1 fitted currently to my Golf Rallye.

I even had a set of coilovers made by Leda suspension way back in 1996 which were fantastic but needed a rebuild after 12 months!!
but being a race suspension this is accepted as they are meant to be rebuilt after every race season.

To put it simply, after all the money i've spent on coilovers and various suspension setups i wouldn't spend less than £250 per kit, broken down, thats less than £70 a corner, and i like my corners!! LOL

Hope these coilovers work for you, they may be a bargain and ride really nice and nobody likes to spend good money after bad ;-)

You will always get varying results depending on the car you fit them to, smaller cars are more critical whereas a heavier car
can actually help reduce crashiness.

Last edited:
Make sure you fit the dust boots down the shaft of the shock when you fit coilovers.....

I believe if you don't then dirt that that accumulates allowed to travel down into the shock under compression - thus wearing out the seals and allowing them to leak.

OE Audi shocks are more than that EACH

Really? I'm sure last time I had a price for Sport shocks from TPS they were something like £58 plus vat. That was maybe a year ago.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

You may be right - I may have been quoted for a spring and top mount too. I may also be getting totally confused with Honda, who wanted £560+VAT per shock on my S2000.... :)

put it like this if they dont look to dandy if there here tomoz they go straight in the wheelybin lol.....we'll have a look and then decide were to go..... i googled and searched further last night even along a subaru forum that a geeza done a group buy and there was a lot of mixed reactions most average to good and a few moaning about knocking on the rear shocks but seemed to be a problem with a build problem..... trouble is it's like a few state you get people say there crap who have not experienced trying these out which puts you of trying them out !! yes there very cheap and being an american brand you think they should be ok...... i might just go new H&R springs and B5 perches still yet....