Pubs....

Ads

ASN Veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.aythreee.com
Something my missus pointed out to me at the weekend when driving across London....

All pubs (PROPER pubs that have been around for a while, not modern type bars etc) are on the corner of the street, or if not, are at the end of the terrace. Basically making them all at least semi-detatched.

We drove past about 20 and every single one followed this rule.

So....... why???

Thats an interesting question Ads. There must be a logical explanation for it as well.

Bigger?
Cover more streets?

I'd image they were built for purpose, not occupied at a later date.
And some are halfway down a road but at the end of a terrace and no bigger than other buildings on the same road.

Last edited:
I'd image they were built for purpose, not occupied at a later date.
And some are in halfway down a road but at the end of a terrace and no bigger than other buildings on the same road.

Is this a london thing though?

Alot of the old orignal pubs down here seems to be built for pubs and are flat or part of the terrace building.

Is this a london thing though?

Alot of the old orignal pubs down here seems to be built for pubs and are flat or part of the terrace building.

Could well be mostly a London thing (although i'm sure the Rovers Return is on a corner too ;) ).

If I think back to any pubs I've been to around the country they have all been the same too though. :think:

Dunno. Was just something to do on a long boring Sunday drive.

You got me thinking back to all the pubs I use to drink in.
Most of the pubs I've drunk in in bristol have been in their own built or converted building (I am talking about old pubs not modern ones) and the same for a couple of the ones in plymouth and areas.

The pub I go to everyday is not in a line of houses, although it always has bouncers, even at mid day!

The pub I go to everyday is not in a line of houses, although it always has bouncers, even at mid day!

You're not old enough for a pub.
I'm shocked them bouncers let you in.

Ads, you're refering to this style of pub right?

DJ's.JPG

ermm well a theory i have is either its to get more attention for more punters, being on the corner its easier to spot? or its down the end of the street so not to many people will get disturbed by the noises as it at 'the bottom of the road'?