Please Help - BBS CK or BBS CH-R

Cheers Guys again,

Cheers Jonny, certainly think that they have won the vote

CK's can rub slightly when lowered on H&R's so how do Rimstyle think that CH-R's wont when although 2mm better offset are 1/2" wider meaning 4mm further out than CK's. They will rub the fender screw even with 225's.

Do you want scene or a properly fitting tyre with some rim protection?

I got some H & R springs for sale, cheap as chips too. Would look the.nuts with new rims and ride hight.

Cheers
Paul

I lowered on H&R's with my CK's and had to run a 215 as the 225 would rub. Springs out after a week as they were a noisy, crashy mess and then had to move to a 225 as the slight stretch worried me with curbing and potholes. I deliberated too long on lowering, not lowering, 215, 225 and it became a circus of garage visits, tyres on and off and I was spending cash like there was no tomorrow. I could greet all day about it, but I'm happy with that, I'll not bore anyone anymore!

For your interest, here's a couple of pics of my CK's (8" wide, ET44) when they were on a 215 tyre:

rim2.jpg

rim1.jpg

There is NO stretch with a 215 on an 8, I know this as I'm running it up front atm..

While it may not be 'scene' stretch, there is definately stretch. Have you ever seen a car manufacturer run a 215 on 8 " rim?, no! I don't understand the point of having a tyre with rim protection and the wheel protruding past this...............kind er tells you it's not meant to be.

I would say there was a little stretch, that's why I ended up changing back to a 225 for my piece of mind as I was wary of curbing. The springs coming out helped that decision as I knew I wouldn't then have to worry about rubbing.

Its not to do with being SCENE, its for me to do with running the car low and having stretch which gives you extra clearance, afterall my car is a 2.0TDI not an F1 car, I don't drive it hard so I don't need big bulky tyres on there :laugh: But yes your right, manufacturers don't do this as its not meant to be.........well it is for me :wub:

Cheers Rich that is very helpful, so you didn't get along with the springs? did you end up leaving them off?

so overall if I went with a 225 tyre on a 8.5" rim that should be ok but would that offer very little rim protection? but then a 235 tyre would rub.

is that right?

Its not to do with being SCENE, its for me to do with running the car low and having stretch which gives you extra clearance, afterall my car is a 2.0TDI not an F1 car, I don't drive it hard so I don't need big bulky tyres on there :laugh: But yes your right, manufacturers don't do this as its not meant to be.........well it is for me :wub:

Running low with stretch is 'scene' in my book.

The OP is running a S3, so i'm assuming HE does drive it accordingly. So i'm offering advice based on this fact...........simples!!

To the OP, 225 on 8.5" rim will look like Rico's pic of 215 on 8" rim, slightly worse really. So has been confirmed you will lose / severely reduce any kerb protection.

Your choice mate, just making sure you know the facts so YOU can make the decision right for your needs.

Running low with stretch is 'scene' in my book.

The OP is running a S3, so i'm assuming HE does drive it accordingly. So i'm offering advice based on this fact...........simples!!

To the OP, 225 on 8.5" rim will look like Rico's pic of 215 on 8" rim, slightly worse really. So has been confirmed you will lose / severely reduce any kerb protection.

Your choice mate, just making sure you know the facts so YOU can make the decision right for your needs.

I'm not telling him to run a 215 on an 8J, I would recommend a 225 for his car. What else is in your "book"

I'm not telling him to run a 215 on an 8J, I would recommend a 225 for his car. What else is in your "book"

Yes but on a 8.5" rim a 225 is equivalent to running a 215 on a 8" rim. So the pics are relevant.

Take a chill pill:icon_thumright:

Happily married for years so no 'book' anymore i'm afraid.:laugh:

Bro your the one getting uptight, I was explaining to you why I run stretch on my car for ME. Brett can get 235s then have constant hear rubbing, I'm just tryin to help out :wacko:

While it may not be 'scene' stretch, there is definately stretch. Have you ever seen a car manufacturer run a 215 on 8 " rim?, no! I don't understand the point of having a tyre with rim protection and the wheel protruding past this...............kind er tells you it's not meant to be.

:laugh:

Why are you arguing with a man who has wheels for furniture!? You're going to lose

I'm not saying put 235's on, i'm saying 235's are correct for 8.5j rim.

What i was originally referring to is IMHO that the CH-R's are wrong fitment for the A3/S3. Hell i love these rims and if they did them in same fitment as my CH blacks then they'd be on my car pronto.

So as per OP, if it were me i'd vote CK's as they are a better fitment.

Signing off:)

Why are you arguing with a man who has wheels for furniture!? You're going to lose

Not quite Jords! :happy:

I'm not saying put 235's on, i'm saying 235's are correct for 8.5j rim.

Correct, but most people on here want wheels and lower, and unfortunately something has to give, and its usually the tyre! That is all.

Brett mate, it's up to you at the end of the day. Lower it, stretch the tyres, whatever you want. The thread was initially about a choice of rims for your car. The CH-R's are a fantastic looking wheel and you'll be one of the first to get them onto a S3. I am obviously more biased as we were discussing you possibly buying my CK's.

I'm cool with whatever you choose as after all it's your decision. Some like tyres stretched, some don't, others like the lowered look, others prefer to have their head in the sky, your car, your choice.

There is a lot of knowledge and experience on here and it would be a perfect world if we all agreed, but that's what makes us all individual, choices and opinions.

All the best anyway lad, your S3 is a great looking car inside and out as it stands, a new set of rims whatever they may be will make it even better. Best of luck.

Sorry guys, i'm just a little thick when it comes to things like this. Usually I always go for OEM in one way or another.

So 235s will definately rub, 225s should give me the clearance but on a 8.5 rim they will be ever so slightly stretched and offer less protection and 215s are just a no no completely.

So I think the final question then I will leave this alone, I go with 225s if I went for a 'spirited' drive am I 'likely' to mark the rim on the road? or would I have to be going well and truly balls out for that to happen.

Sorry again

But with an ET 44 they will rub slightly if lowered.

I changed my tyres from 225 to 215's to get rid of the rubbing.

They're no good for 'spirited' driving though.

All go for show - no go for go :)

I just swap them back to my original rims if I'm going out for a significant play on the moor roads.

You can see here it catches only VERY slightly.

I did consider knocking this plastic lip of with a grinder :eek: :laugh:

27022010185.jpg

As you can see - it is only by around 2mm that it catches - but who wants rubbing arches on a £30k car - not me :) so they had to be changed to 215's

27022010187.jpg

You can see here it catches only VERY slightly.

I did consider knocking this plastic lip of with a grinder :eek: :laugh:

27022010185.jpg

As you can see - it is only by around 2mm that it catches - but who wants rubbing arches on a £30k car - not me :) so they had to be changed to 215's

27022010187.jpg

Japs, quick question dude....

Are you running without an arch screw now?? i need to do this as im Runnin CH's ET50 with 10mm Spacers and getting rubbing & im sure its the "dreaded screw" problem i have is jacking the car up... my jack hits the skirt & if i take it to a garage round the corner i need to know what to tell them... whether to leave the screw out or trim bits down & put in a different screw... also anyone know the size of the screw? 2,3,4mm??

The Ch-Rs spec are

Size: 19x8.5"PCD/Offset: 5x112 ET48

Thanks Paul for the pictures, really helpful. will the rubbing with the CH-Rs be worse as they are a ET48 but are a 8.5 rim?

Last edited:
Rim protectors are for people who dont know how wide their car is :laugh:

Wasting your time going 235, its going to rub, stick to 225.

Japs, quick question dude....

Are you running without an arch screw now?? i need to do this as im Runnin CH's ET50 with 10mm Spacers and getting rubbing & im sure its the "dreaded screw" problem i have is jacking the car up... my jack hits the skirt & if i take it to a garage round the corner i need to know what to tell them... whether to leave the screw out or trim bits down & put in a different screw... also anyone know the size of the screw? 2,3,4mm??

I put the screw back in as it made no difference to the rubbing.
It catches on the plastic lip of the bumper bracket and the arch liner. It doesn't catch the screw on mine.
You can see where the paint has been rubbed away slightly.

I 'think' the sportback rear bumper connection is slightly different - but without someone taking the same pics as mine on a 3 door ???

Oh and I have to drive mine up onto a bit of 6"x2" wood before I can get my jack under.
The Audi jack is fine - but who wants to use that !

Think i need a race low entry jack :)

Oh and just to be clear mine does not rub at all on 19x 8J ET44 with 215 35 19's

BUT grip level is compromised.

I know individuals have also been ok with 235's bit on a 8J rim with ET50 rims - aka BBS CH's

Hi all,

From recent posts, I think you might have gathered that I'm contemplating BBS CH-Rs.

Brett, which wheels did you go for in the end?

While I love the CH-Rs, I'm not sure about the 'stretched' look of the 8.5 rim with 225 tyres, especially if it is going to rub. So instead I am thinking of CH Black editions on a 8 x 225 tyre instead.

Objective - BBS CH-Rs or BBS CHs, no rubbing nor stretched look.

Cheers for any help.

PS - If anyone's got any pics of CH-Rs and lowered on an A3\S3 8P, I'd be grateful if you could post.