Painting exhaust tips

Woody86

I'm planning on painting my exhaust tip matt black on the s3. I've took them off today so I can sand and prep them in the week. But on actually looking at the car without any tips on I'm not sure if I want to put tips back on. What do you think?
PubvAr3h.jpg

Woody86

Everyone should like the akra carbon tips. I can only dream of such things at the minute though. :crying:

M

monopole

do you need special paint and do you really need to rub them down first?

The Challinor

IMO one of the best features of the car, put them back on quick! hahaha

Woody86

Well I thought a rough surface helps the primer and paint stick. I considered powder coating but I'll try it myself first. Can alway powder coat of it fails terribly.

Woody86

Also everybody has told me to put them back on so far. How people differ in their opinions ay

lee_fr200

It's just ppl like a contrast, so with the black pack it would look nice with chrome, or with the standard diffuser it would look nice with black,

Or it would look nice if it was a custom exhaust with 2 rs5 style big oval pipes

Woody86

I understand what you're saying mate. Chrome is just a bit too blingy for me. Surely I can't be the only one.

A3_Rider

From what I've been seeing the tips on the S3/Golf R are not chrome for long anyway, look how black they get!

I was always polishing the tips on my V6, fun times.

The Challinor

Baby wipes in the boot

Woody86

That another reason they've come off. Sick of cleaning them. Even though I don't like chrome. A dirty car is far worse

The Challinor

Maybe getting them powder coated a colour could be cool.

Not sure what colour though

The Challinor

Not seen many coloured tailpipes tbh

J6YAK

Team Java Green
Not seen many coloured tailpipes tbh

No way, I used to have a Red Irmsher tail pipe on my old black "Nova SR" back in the days of old many moons ago it was cool then but don't think coloured tail pipes would look good on any car now!!

The Challinor

lee_fr200

No, it won't be java, my company ordered it but the order never went through, and as I've said in another thread my company always order for September deliveries so can only order mid 2015 now ready for nxt September, but will be sepang blue more than likely

The Challinor

No way, I used to have a Red Irmsher tail pipe on my old black "Nova SR" back in the days of old many moons ago it was cool then but don't think coloured tail pipes would look good on any car now!!

See red sounds interesting but in practice not so sure. Probably do have to be silver or black.

The Challinor

No, it won't be java, my company ordered it but the order never went through, and as I've said in another thread my company always order for September deliveries so can only order mid 2015 now ready for nxt September, but will be sepang blue more than likely
Oh ok, missed that thread. How come the order did not go through then? What you driving at the moment then?

J6YAK

Team Java Green
Get a couple of these.......hahaha........:puke2:

Last edited:

The Challinor

O dear, o dear indeed

lee_fr200

Oh ok, missed that thread. How come the order did not go through then? What you driving at the moment then?

No idea!!! But They rang the audi dealer in my area and spoke to the girl and then told me to go and deal with all the finance and get them new quotes which I've done and then said we will be ordering for next September as usual, (this is a family company btw hence why I'm dealing with it myself now)

I drive a seat ibiza fr at the moment but it's too small so upgrading but been told I need to sell the ibiza first (which they never said before I thought it was just going to be traded in, but they must have got a crap trade in value so no idea)

Last edited:

The Challinor

Sounds like a right mess mate, shame you can't get one in March as well

MA3RC

VCDS Map User
Silver Supporter
I understand what you're saying mate. Chrome is just a bit too blingy for me. Surely I can't be the only one.

Too blingy... yet you buy an S3! Good one :thumbs up:

The Challinor

Maybe go for something like this then...

03f17e3ace16766599be0fc1bef20e8e.jpg

The Challinor

The Challinor

nervus

I hate chrome too - its for the Beige trouser brigade IMO. More in fitting with Jags.

I've de-chromed everything except the tailpipes. I haven't cleaned them in a year and they're suitably black now :)

Going to get an MTM exhaust with black or carbon tips soon I think.