Painting exhaust tips

Woody86

Reaction score
I'm planning on painting my exhaust tip matt black on the s3. I've took them off today so I can sand and prep them in the week. But on actually looking at the car without any tips on I'm not sure if I want to put tips back on. What do you think?
PubvAr3h.jpg

Reactions: 45bvtc and s31jay
Personally don't like the black pack or black tips

But each to their own

I'm the opposite. I'm not a big fan of chrome. Individual taste I guess.
Like you say each to their own

Reactions: s31jay and Pulp84
Exactly, although I like the akrapovic carbon tips

Reactions: Woody86
do you need special paint and do you really need to rub them down first?

have them powder coated

Reactions: Q5 TRS and Woody86
Well I thought a rough surface helps the primer and paint stick. I considered powder coating but I'll try it myself first. Can alway powder coat of it fails terribly.

It's just ppl like a contrast, so with the black pack it would look nice with chrome, or with the standard diffuser it would look nice with black,

Or it would look nice if it was a custom exhaust with 2 rs5 style big oval pipes

I understand what you're saying mate. Chrome is just a bit too blingy for me. Surely I can't be the only one.

Reactions: s31jay
From what I've been seeing the tips on the S3/Golf R are not chrome for long anyway, look how black they get!

I was always polishing the tips on my V6, fun times.

Reactions: Woody86
Not seen many coloured tailpipes tbh

No way, I used to have a Red Irmsher tail pipe on my old black "Nova SR" back in the days of old many moons ago it was cool then but don't think coloured tail pipes would look good on any car now!!

No, it won't be java, my company ordered it but the order never went through, and as I've said in another thread my company always order for September deliveries so can only order mid 2015 now ready for nxt September, but will be sepang blue more than likely

No, it won't be java, my company ordered it but the order never went through, and as I've said in another thread my company always order for September deliveries so can only order mid 2015 now ready for nxt September, but will be sepang blue more than likely
Oh ok, missed that thread. How come the order did not go through then? What you driving at the moment then?

Get a couple of these.......hahaha........:puke2:

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxtrot_Oscar
Oh ok, missed that thread. How come the order did not go through then? What you driving at the moment then?

No idea!!! But They rang the audi dealer in my area and spoke to the girl and then told me to go and deal with all the finance and get them new quotes which I've done and then said we will be ordering for next September as usual, (this is a family company btw hence why I'm dealing with it myself now)

I drive a seat ibiza fr at the moment but it's too small so upgrading but been told I need to sell the ibiza first (which they never said before I thought it was just going to be traded in, but they must have got a crap trade in value so no idea)

Last edited:
I understand what you're saying mate. Chrome is just a bit too blingy for me. Surely I can't be the only one.

Too blingy... yet you buy an S3! Good one :thumbs up:

Even with the black pack I think a few tasteful highlights set the car off.

I hate chrome too - its for the Beige trouser brigade IMO. More in fitting with Jags.

I've de-chromed everything except the tailpipes. I haven't cleaned them in a year and they're suitably black now :)

Going to get an MTM exhaust with black or carbon tips soon I think.

Reactions: Benw92, s31jay and Woody86