Overrun Burble - S3

thebluefox

Reaction score
So I'm still getting used to my S3 and haven't really been hammering it around as I'm still running it in.

But,

One thing I used to love on my old manual 8P S3 was that with a bit of feathering of the throttle you could get some lovely burbling on overrun.

Is anything like this possible on the 8V, with DSG?? Or am I looking at new exhausts to get that kind of playfulness back?

Not managed that with mine, but thats not to say its impossible. The RS3 does it by the bucket load;)

However probably needs a new exhaust IMO.

Exhaust won't do it.... Trust me I know.
I actually asked the APR guys this and it's something that can be mapped in to a remap.
So if enough people request it I'm sure they will release a file with this feature.

I really love the sound of the A45 and new mini JCW!

Exhaust won't do it.... Trust me I know.
I actually asked the APR guys this and it's something that can be mapped in to a remap.
So if enough people request it I'm sure they will release a file with this feature.

I really love the sound of the A45 and new mini JCW!

Shouldn't be difficult.... Just remove the overrun cutoff on the fuelling.

Reactions: Wondering Soul
Ford just dumped extra fuel in at the end for pops and bangs

Exactly the same principle.

Makes a noise but that's about it.

Bye bye MPG.....

I know it does nothing for performance, but it does make me giggle like a schoolgirl.

Bikes do it by injecting o2/oxygen into the exhaust system.
It happens when you add a slip on exhaust on a stock bike.

Bikes do it by injecting o2/oxygen into the exhaust system.
It happens when you add a slip on exhaust on a stock bike.

Still need some fuel hence fuelling on the overrun,but as before,most manufacturers now have fuel cutoff at throttle closure to help their emission and consumption figures.

Reactions: veeeight
Id love to have an overrun burble..... I hope it's something that becomes available on mapping options.

Still need some fuel hence fuelling on the overrun,but as before,most manufacturers now have fuel cutoff at throttle closure to help their emission and consumption figures.

How are Mercedes and mini doing it then since they have to meet the same stringent rules?

How are Mercedes and mini doing it then since they have to meet the same stringent rules?

I have absolutely no idea,but even a small amount of fuelling could make quite a bit of noise I'd guess.
Only need a few pops and crackles....hey,maybe they have a defeat system....

When I look at maps then in the not too distant future it might be something I push them on....

Like I mentioned before when I met the calibrators from APR ( the guys who make the maps ) they said it's possible.

If enough of us make a noise I'm certain they will do it ;-)

Reactions: S3Alex
Like I mentioned before when I met the calibrators from APR ( the guys who make the maps ) they said it's possible.

If enough of us make a noise I'm certain they will do it ;-)

I did mean to say(jokingly) that ALS will cure all of your burble and bangin' needs.
I just wouldn't use it much....

Sorry....anti-lag.

Continues fuelling during over-run,******* ignition and essentially burns fuel in the exhaust.

End result is the turbine keeps spinning,with reduced lag when you come back onto the throttle,but.....increased loads across the turbo shaft,and increased EGTs.

Lots of banging and occasional spits of flame,quite bad for the cat as well.

APR and Unicorn can implement a version of this on some of their maps,but all of your turbo manufacturers will recommend not using it.

Sorry....anti-lag.

Continues fuelling during over-run,******* ignition and essentially burns fuel in the exhaust.

End result is the turbine keeps spinning,with reduced lag when you come back onto the throttle,but.....increased loads across the turbo shaft,and increased EGTs.

APR and Unicorn can implement a version of this on some of their maps,but all of your turbo manufacturers will recommend not using it.

Yeah, I don't think I want burble more than I want a healthy turbo....!

Lots of manufactures are doing it now from Vauxhall with the corsa vxr to merc c63, rs3 even the rs6.

Look at the s6 has a v8 twin turbo that doesn't have a burble and pop but the rs6 with a varient of the same engine does.

So I'm sure it's possible to be mapped in without doing any harm or long term effects.......

I remember an episode of top gear with the rs5 that dumps a bit of fuel into exhaust to make a burble... As Clarkson said;

"using the earths natural resources to make a gear change sound good.... I like that"

Yeah, I don't think I want burble more than I want a healthy turbo....!

I've got it on my ECU,but rarely use it.

Owen Developments who built my turbo don't authorise/guarantee their turbos for use with ALS,and they're the guys who make the turbos for the BTCC,and some WRC cars.
A proper ALS-ready turbo is very expensive.

Most of the tuner implementations are very mild.

Sorry....anti-lag.

Ha brilliant system if you are intending on swapping in a new turbo every few thousand miles!

Reactions: S3Alex
Ha brilliant system if you are intending on swapping in a new turbo every few thousand miles!

Well...back in the old WRC days,that was the thing.
The turbos were run for maybe a stage or two,and then binned.
Very costly alloys,and essentially disposable.

More modern implementations are much kinder to the turbo,but that's all aimed at the motorsport market.....for road use it's much milder,and programming should take into account EGTs,engine temps and a lot of other things,all aimed at shutting the system down if it goes above those limits.

It shouldn't cause problems....but that's the proviso.....shouldn't.
Mine has 2 stage ALS,but I'm not convinced that it makes a huge impact compared to that on a car I had previously which was set up to run a very aggressive ALS.

I have absolutely no idea,but even a small amount of fuelling could make quite a bit of noise I'd guess.
Only need a few pops and crackles....hey,maybe they have a defeat system....

It's a very fine line they tread, due to emissions regulations etc., but much of the crackle and pop is now made by cleverly fuelling, in minute quantity, and controlling spark and ignition on the overrun, mainly in the non-igniting (cycle-wise) cylinders. Some manufacturers also open valves in exhausts to create pops (just like in the old days, when you had leaky joints in the exhaust system!)

In the 8V S3, if you use Launch Control, you will not get any pops burps farts parps on the upshifts, the noises detract from performance, and don't lend themselves to smooth upshifts. In addition to the lack of burps farts when using Launch Control, you'll also notice much smoother and quicker upshifts - the noises are just there as a customer delight feature, and actually detract from performance!

The days of neat fuel in the exhaust have gone!
(fuelling a minute amount into the cylinder during the exhaust cycle, yes, neat fuel into the exhaust, no)

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeSel^, Wondering Soul and S3Alex
Very nice explanation.

I'm not bothered about the noises and so on if it doesn't add to the performance,or come as a part of that(as with ALS for instance),but the degree of control over things like valve timing and fuelling now is quite something,and it never ceases to impress me with what a clever engineer can do with a modern ECU and a laptop.

Reactions: veeeight and Wondering Soul
If you really wanted burble, pop and crackle, I'm sure you can get this sorted out........

Last edited:
Reactions: Dandanfings
my old astra vxr with it's Cobra turbo back burbled, popped and banged on demand, miss that car every now and then, it was off it's rocker! I've grown out of the insane volume that car made but do wish my s3 was a little more of an asbo in the noise department :)

my old astra vxr with it's Cobra turbo back burbled, popped and banged on demand, miss that car every now and then, it was off it's rocker! I've grown out of the insane volume that car made but do wish my s3 was a little more of an asbo in the noise department :)

Ha, I know what you mean. I'm not after volume - but I would like a little more character out of it.

First test drive in one and I thought it sounded great WOT. But it would be great to be a tad louder. Down pipe would sort that surely

Quite possibly Mercedes and mini have programmed the overrun cutoff out when the sport mode is pressed.

My Manual S3 does it all the time!!

Little bit of throttle and let off.........barp barp bang bang!

Its great!