Over-revving problem?

PorkyWill

Reaction score
My 2001 AMK S3 has a strange problem??!!

When it is on boost and I change gear, it overrevs, like I've ballsed up my gearchange and have let off the accelerater slightly too late...

It also seems to be underpowered. It RR'd at 218 (+8 on standard) and then after the AMD remap it RR'd at 248 (I would expect that to be more like 265ish) would this be something to do with this overrevving?

What's the cause of this and will I be looking at the infamous N75..?!??

Will

i have the same with the gear change, its as if you put the clutch down and come of the gas but the revs still rise a little, making the gear change terrible....

think the problem is the little switch above the clutch pedal, approx £14 to replace AFAIK

what it does is tell the ECU that the clutch has been depressed, and to let of the revs, when broken it does not do this.

it can be fitted in moments, its a simple twist to uninstall the old one and remove electrical connection, and place the new one in place and twist to keep it in place, then connect the electrical connector

I can almost guarantee this is the MAF sensor mate. I had the same prob with mine when I got it. change it and all went back to noraml

sounds like the clutch switch

whats the tech name for the part or a number please

The clutch does make sense as I plugged it in to VAGCOM at the weekend at it threw up a fault with the clutch switch so will get that replaced and let you know if that was the problem...

A friend had the same problem with his S3 and he replaced the MAF and the boost switch and it resolved the problem and he got his power back...just wanted more than one opinion!

Anyone know the part numbers?

Cheers,

Will

might be easier just removing your current switch, getting the part number from it and ordering using that number :)

otherwise just go to dealiership and ask for one, explain what it is :)

....so its not just us A4-ers that get this problem.
Im having same problem with mine and its so ****** annoying, SOunds like I cant drive. Led foot!!!

anyway think ill keep an eye on this thread as im very interested to see if anyone has a concrete cure for this.

Sorry for the highjack by the way guys.:icon_thumright:

ill be fitting mine on sat, ill post how it goes

just my 2p, but when my revs refused to go below about 2k rpm, it was found to be the throttle potentiometer. Needed a new accelerator pedal.

went to fit the switch and my coilovers on sat morning with my mate who has the use of is works garage. got into a couple of problems fitting the coils and did not have time to fit the switch then left it in the garage so could'nt fit it today either:think: will hopfully get it on tomorrow and post the results..

has this been resolved as ive got this problem and dont know what to change maf sensor or clutch sensor or boost controller???

thanks

chris

I have this too, but I think it is just the result of the "lag" brought into play susing the fly by wire throttles. When remapped, most mappers adjust the throttle sensitivity too, so maybe it exacerbates the issue..?

Will maybe change my clutch switch anyway!

i changed my switch today, and i think it feels a little better but not sure. the drive home is pretty much heavy traffic then motorway so not tested it properly. spirited drive needed on way to work at 5am i think :cool:

:think:How much was your switch and how long did it take to fit????

I am not sure how this switch works, is it not just for the cruise control? (to release cruise when clutched dipped?)
Otherwise, how can you feed in the revs with the clutch pedal depressed? If you hold the throttle on a psotioon and dip the clutch, the revs stay there !

And if the throttle is closed, then the revs should fall anyway...? So what does this switch actually do then...?

Haven't had time to get mine done as I have been away on business....will get it sorted asap!

i agree with you simch, i dont get how it works. as for the results i think its better but not perfict, or is it in my head:think: . but with my discount it only cost a tenner and took 2 mins to fit so no great loss. the other thing i think may be contributing to this is the throttle body and the butterfly not closing properly due to it being a bit gummed up. job for the weekend..

Yes for sake of what it costs you may aswell try eh!!

The throttle cleaning hasnt been a success for few of us on the A4 side, its ****** annoying as there are so many diff opinions.

Whats this switch look like anyway???

the switch is at the top of the clutch peddle and is blue and black. all you do to remove it is twist it a little and it will fall. oh and you need to unplug it as well

Hey guys i've just had my clutch switch replaced while in for a service and the difference is amazing, the only problem is, i was so used to it that i now have to change my gearing to suit the car as before when the clutch was pushed in and i was off the accelerater the revs would rise a few hundred more and make gear changes sound awful

where as now they just drop totally and make gear changes quicker

which is another minor prob sorted for me:thumbsup:

Good luck anyone else who's got this prob

I've also go this problem on my B6 A4 (like J7USS) and it drives me crazy.

It's not coming up with any codes so I guess it's really trial and error from here, but I think I might change the clutch switch as it's only a cheap part.

golf said:
I've also go this problem on my B6 A4 (like J7USS) and it drives me crazy.

It's not coming up with any codes so I guess it's really trial and error from here, but I think I might change the clutch switch as it's only a cheap part.

Yes I agree mate, Im going to try this at the weekend I reckon. I keep saying it but ive got to get to the bottom of it, its seriously ******* me off now and ive even thought of getting rid of my car if it doesnt get solved!!

Mine didn't actually show any fault to start with only once i got it remapped it showed up but i think that was because with the remap the car was on boost alot quicker so over revved even easier than before,

Hope this helps,
as said before, for the cost of it you might aswell change it

I'm getting the part tomorrow from the dealer, and I will post the results once it's fitted. Like everyone's said, it's worth it for the £11.01 I've been quoted.