Opinions about flexi drying blades?

J4MMYz

Reaction score
I know this question is slightly more suited for the detailing section but I know we all clean our cars and there's a greater amount of people on this section.

Are these flexi drying blades any good? I've read a few reviews and some people have complained about scratching their car with it.

I was considering one, since my drying towel gets wet pretty quick then won't dry the rest of the car properly, I do use two but it's just more maintenance to keep both clean. I usually wash them after every use.

Peoples opinions + experiences or alternative suggestions welcome :)

Only needs the tiniest bit of grit to get caught under the blade and it'll scratch right down the paint. Stick with a cloth, less chance of doing damage!

I use a large microfibre cloth to remove most of the water from the car before getting the drying towel out. Just keep wringing it out, Then get going with the towel.
I do recall seeing a program where they took a brand new car that had no paint flaws or scratches at all to a hand car wash where they used those flexi blades.
And after they examined the paintwork and there were loads of scratches on it.
As above if some grit or a stone gets stuck in the soft silicone it's not good. But then again these car wash people would drop the scraper on the floor and then pick it up and carry on removing the water. I would suspect any professional detailer would possibly not use one of these

Karl.

Don't - please don't! By another drying towel, or 2 or three. If you care anything about your paint finish - don't go there.

You will get the same effect as if you were to drop your drying towel in the dirt, then pick it up and start using it again.

They are effective but as others have said you'll have a scratch fest on your hands with only the slightest bit of dirt.

I use auto glym aqua wax every wash, it helps with drying, waxes car and also comes with two micro fibre clothes, spend your money here instead.

Reactions: Minion Bob!
There's a corner in my back porch where I dump my wet cloths and mitts.
A fairy comes along and they next appear clean and ready for use.
Not sure how it works - it just does !!!

Reactions: Luke2.0tdi2010
Okay, due to absolutely no good words said, I will not use/buy one

Thanks guys!

Reactions: The Challinor
Okay, due to absolutely no good words said, I will not use/buy one

Thanks guys!
I've used the autoglym one in the past used small strokes and keep wiping the blade after each stroke. Does a good job but it's dangerous however never scratched the car. The aqua wax is great dry and shine at the same time and I'd never go back to the blade again.

I use a large microfibre cloth to remove most of the water from the car before getting the drying towel out. Just keep wringing it out, Then get going with the towel.
I do recall seeing a program where they took a brand new car that had no paint flaws or scratches at all to a hand car wash where they used those flexi blades.
And after they examined the paintwork and there were loads of scratches on it.
As above if some grit or a stone gets stuck in the soft silicone it's not good. But then again these car wash people would drop the scraper on the floor and then pick it up and carry on removing the water. I would suspect any professional detailer would possibly not use one of these

Karl.

This is the one

We use them at work but modern cars have so many angels and lines that there not even that effective

There is huge debate about this, but stick with micro fibre. I find the Kent one very good (and large) and also the autoglym. Have also got a big pack of cheaper ones from Costco. I tend to use the large one very gently over the car to start and go from there. Blades sound more dangerous than a sponge.

I did use one for years and never got any straight line scratches , tons of hose pipe rinsing after washing and running fingers along the blade .

Microfiber for best results.

Reactions: Minion Bob!
:sorrow:Bought a blade at the weekend...used it once...it will now sit in a corner of the shed with the spiders! Back to the clothes:eagerness:

I have a drying blade - hardly use it, if I do it's only on the glass. Don't go near paint with it.

If your car is protected with a good wax or sealant, use a hose with no attachment and let water run across the panel. 80% of it should sheet off, making it really easy to dry. Microfibres also dry better if you wet them first and wring them out.

I know this question is slightly more suited for the detailing section but I know we all clean our cars and there's a greater amount of people on this section.

Are these flexi drying blades any good? I've read a few reviews and some people have complained about scratching their car with it.

I was considering one, since my drying towel gets wet pretty quick then won't dry the rest of the car properly, I do use two but it's just more maintenance to keep both clean. I usually wash them after every use.

Peoples opinions + experiences or alternative suggestions welcome :)

Blades are fine, as long as you keep the blade spotless and directly after rinsing to not drag any settled debris, I usually just use a large drying towel though

I have been detailing for 9 years as an enthusiast and never inflicted any scratches when using them

BUT If in doubt just don't use it simple as that :friendly wink:

Reactions: Gazwould
The phrase you need is exposure to risk...... If you don't need to - don't do it. If your not using one, then it won't be the cause of any scratches.

If you are using one, even carefully, and the blade picks up a tiny fragment of material which is harder than the surface hardness of the laquer - or may have sharp edges - it will scratch. My son used a new blade on his Megane - once. Having snow foamed it, he rinsed and was drying before polishing, and the blade picked up a small fragment as he was wiping the excess water off of the bonnet. I saw the scratch before he did. It took my DA polisher to get rid of it..... You need to appy a mild degree of pressue to the blades for them to be effective; this will help help drive a scratch in; you don't need the same degree of pressure on a cloth.

Reactions: Gazwould
The phrase you need is exposure to risk...... If you don't need to - don't do it. If your not using one, then it won't be the cause of any scratches.

If you are using one, even carefully, and the blade picks up a tiny fragment of material which is harder than the surface hardness of the laquer - or may have sharp edges - it will scratch. My son used a new blade on his Megane - once. Having snow foamed it, he rinsed and was drying before polishing, and the blade picked up a small fragment as he was wiping the excess water off of the bonnet. I saw the scratch before he did. It took my DA polisher to get rid of it..... You need to appy a mild degree of pressue to the blades for them to be effective; this will help help drive a scratch in; you don't need the same degree of pressure on a cloth.

Hi

What I actually meant was if you doubt your ability to clean and decontaminate a car fully hence "If in doubt just don't use it simple as that :friendly wink:"

I have used drying blades in this time and worked with professional detailers on some very exotic cars, all colours especially dark while using them with great success and not afflicting any damage as the paint has been previous corrected (ideal test bed for defect detection) and checked again afterwards with 3M sunguns, Halide/HID and direct sunlight on numerous cars

If for instance the car has been prepared outside and brought indoors after mechanical (claying) and chemical (fallout remover) decontamination the risk is virtually zero, if outside however passing particles of dust may adhere to the cleaned car and create a problem, again I have not seen this personally

I might give this Aqua Wax a go, last saturday I went to a track day which was a charity event at work, I was chatting with a guy that has an 09 plate Ford Focus RS in white, and my god the paint was like new. He does the same as me, snow foam - 2 bucket method + Autoglym mad. He told me to use the Aqua Wax as it makes drying a doddle. My concern is though, will this strip my original Autoglym Wax that is on it? He did say on the plus the bugs are very easy to remove at the next wash, and whilst my wax is still strong on mine I do find bugs annoying.

Unless you are doing a full detail including claying and polishing, adding AG Aqua Wax will simply top up your existing wax.

Unless you are doing a full detail including claying and polishing, adding AG Aqua Wax will simply top up your existing wax.

Awesome stuff. Will have to give it a go!

I love Aqua Wax. Getting it in a 5litre container is half the price. In that size it's called AG Express Wax.

Reactions: Scottyg
I used one for years, no problem. Then one day, disaster never use another one ever...................

The wording on the description says it all...... 'Provided the car has been thoroughly cleaned'! Even the slightest bit of dirt/sand/dust on the car gets caught under the blade your paint work will mark. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Bought 30 MF cloth's last week from Costco for just over a tenner. Large cloth's and thick pile!

Reactions: voorhees
Exactly,I wouldn't stock them as they are dangerous

I also use the Costco towels - excellent.
I am aware of the warnings about drying blades. But I always wonder - if you have some grit there, won't a towel scratch just the same?

Before I start drying my car I always soak and rinse out my MF. The MF will left a certain about of dust etc off the car without damaging it. Unlike the blade which will just drag it. However, if you miss a bit when washing and drag the MF over it, it will still mark the paint but less. You also apply less pressure to a MF. I also always lay the damp MF out flat and dab. My next purchase will be a strong leave blower. Blow the water off. Less you touch the paint the less you'll mark it.

I also use the Costco towels - excellent.
I am aware of the warnings about drying blades. But I always wonder - if you have some grit there, won't a towel scratch just the same?

With the towel, there is a much better chance of the grit getting "lost" in the pile.