Oil pressure low

Cocoto4

Reaction score
Hello,

Oil pressure on my S3 8L '99 is a bit low(0,9 BAR when Audi says it should be atleast 1.3BAR). So i have plans of taking off the oil sump and replacing oil pump while im at it... But now is the question... Can this make the compression low? My car seems to have low compression on cylinder 2 so something like 7.5, 5,7, 6,5 and 7,5 is the compression(left to right when standing in front of car). Or might this be a problem from running with low oil pressure for a while(dont know how long).

tldr: Can oil sump/pump create problems with compression?

That’s low on all cylinders a healthy engine would be around 180psi using google that’s around 12 bar

S31
S32
S33

We found this in the Oil sump.. Might be whats causing the issue? :/

...would also go some way to explaining your low compression too

<tuffty/>

I would say the chances are the block is toast.... whats left of the squirter bolt will still be in the block if thats all the debris you have found so that will need removing if it hasn't damaged the block...

Piston skirt will be damaged along with the bent rod that caused all this...

bores might be scored from the damage to the piston...

It will be head off at least to swap out the rods/pistons... engine out if the block is damaged

<tuffty/>

Ok, will take off the head(or start doing so tomorrow) and see what the damage is... If im REALLY lucky and the block is not FUBAR, would it be smart to go for H-profile rods and forged pistons? Im not planing on tuning it like crazy, im all in it for some decent power and really good reliability.

Bad luck!

Tuffty, are all 06A bare blocks the same from transverse or longitudinal 1.8t or 1.8 NA?

Ok, will take off the head(or start doing so tomorrow) and see what the damage is... If im REALLY lucky and the block is not FUBAR, would it be smart to go for H-profile rods and forged pistons? Im not planing on tuning it like crazy, im all in it for some decent power and really good reliability.

Ideally yeah... assuming the bores are serviceable I would use 82.5mm pistons as this is the max size for the OE headgasket and rifle drilled rods..

You can spot the damage more easily from underneath rather than take the head off at this time... the damage to rods, squirter fixing and bore of affected cylinder should be obvious with the sump off...

Looking at the damage of the squirter I am kinda expecting the squirter area to be damaged, the skirt of the piston to be damaged which in turn will have marked the bore...

Have seen similar damage on a car at Bills recently...

Bad luck!

Tuffty, are all 06A bare blocks the same from transverse or longitudinal 1.8t or 1.8 NA?

06a is transverse only... 058 and 06b in inline... you will need to look out for a transverse block...

Looking at the parts catalogue the part numbers are different between NA and turbo engines but not sure what that suggests so to be safe I'd stick to transverse turbo blocks...

<tuffty/>

That engine has had a really hard life by the looks of. A poor tune probably resulted in the rods bending. Low oil pressure won't have done the cams, crank or anything else any good TBH. Probably better cutting your losses and getting a decent second hand engine. If you are going to spend money on it don't waste it on that engine.

Reactions: Tj 0785
Ideally yeah... assuming the bores are serviceable I would use 82.5mm pistons as this is the max size for the OE headgasket and rifle drilled rods..

You can spot the damage more easily from underneath rather than take the head off at this time... the damage to rods, squirter fixing and bore of affected cylinder should be obvious with the sump off...

Looking at the damage of the squirter I am kinda expecting the squirter area to be damaged, the skirt of the piston to be damaged which in turn will have marked the bore...

Have seen similar damage on a car at Bills recently...

<tuffty/>

Didnt really see anything unusual when we had the sump off... But then again 1. didnt know what we would look for and 2. We are not experts by any means... I can take a few pictures tomorrow and you can have a look if you would be so kind :)

That engine has had a really hard life by the looks of. A poor tune probably resulted in the rods bending. Low oil pressure won't have done the cams, crank or anything else any good TBH. Probably better cutting your losses and getting a decent second hand engine. If you are going to spend money on it don't waste it on that engine.

Well if you know where any good engines are lying around please let me know...

Ebay is probably best bet try and get a video of the engine running or one with a lot of history so you know it’s been looked after at least

That's bad luck mate. Bet ur gutted. If i where you id get a new engine and put in better rods and build urself a engine you know is going to be reliable. Good luck on what ever your plans are.

Firstly im going to check if the engine is savable... Then if not im not sure what to do... Either buy something that looks promesing but is very expensive like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Audi-Au...ash=item2a6bd94be4:g:nPIAAOSwurZZN47i&vxp=mtr
OR
Buy something that looks kinda OK and get upgraded rods and forged pistons as well as check around... This Option needs me to get some help tho as i have never ever done anything like this. I dont know what will be best... And i dont know either where to buy from... Any tips will be welcomed with lots of thanks :)

For good internals there is lots of places to go to. Badger 5 will do most internals that you will probably need. Or search on goggle will help aswell.

Don’t do the 1st option as it will probably only have standard rods and for that money you could get a 2nd engine you know has been built to last or one that has already been rebuilt with rods pop up on eBay and in the classifieds for around 1k every now n them

I'm sorry for your loss - and this is why I only drive around like miss daisy, squeaky bum time every time I put my foot down. best of luck in what you choose, maybe a type r Jag or an S4 B5 ? you've already had one of these little hatchbacks now.

I'm sorry for your loss - and this is why I only drive around like miss daisy, squeaky bum time every time I put my foot down. best of luck in what you choose, maybe a type r Jag or an S4 B5 ? you've already had one of these little hatchbacks now.

I dont know how little the S3's are worth in your country... but here in Norway i will lose money if i dont fix or replace the engine... I mighe even be able to get a workshop to do it for me and still not lose money on it... A non-working S3 is worth nothing, but a decent one with a good engine is easily worth £9k

they are worth nothing broken- but are not worth the 3K it costs to fix, so still nothing. some people try and sell their good cars for bundles of cash - but they are usually worth more in bits and pieces if you have the time and energy to break your car.

can I ask if this was just normal driving around or launching, hard constant driving etc. I am at the limit with my engine - so its likely only a matter of time. I might get a compression tester to see if my heavy breathing is rings or valves.

I have driven this car much more gently than any other car i have owned... I was just going uphill 3rd gear and like 30-40% throttle... And then the problems started. Not sure if that was when it got bent or not... In Norway the cars are worth much more so i have to fix it anyway, even if i want to sell it lol. But im thinking of spending a little bit more and getting a really ******* solid engine that WILL last. I love this car when it is problem free, such a nice car to drive and plenty of power for a Daily driver.

once you have removed the cyl head you will know more about what if any other damage done.

best case a slight dent in the piston skirt which you could rub smooth, replace rods and bearings, new rings, light hone and go again... oh and new squirter.