Oil coolers

Andrew@A.L.D

May add NOS to 600+bhp S3.
Reaction score
Website
www.aldevelopments.com
Reactions: Sam_
Pete from IE makes a good point in one of those threads. Quite often people rip out the OEM heat exchanger and just fit an air/oil cooler which will harm oil warm up time.

You don't want to remove the factory cooler. One, it's very efficient at dumping heat into the coolant. Two- it's also very efficient at helping the engine oil get UP to operating temperature quickly, which is very important on a street car.

People love to hate those OE heat exchangers, but they make a lot of sense.

We use the larger 30v S4 OE heat exchanger on the Bonneville car and don't have any issues with oil temperatures- no other cooler.

I'll be looking at an oil cooler too at some stage so subscribed :)

Looking at them, the passat one looks good but would require more work to re-route hoses I guess.

L to R...
1. Stock
2. S4 (or V6 4mo B5)
3. PD Passat

oilcoolers_1.8T_S4_PD.JPG

Pete from IE makes a good point in one of those threads. Quite often people rip out the OEM heat exchanger and just fit an air/oil cooler which will harm oil warm up time.

and................

track use, its not going to be very relevant.. an din warm up terms I dont see much difference in warm up on external cooler only on badgerwagens warm up.

you can use thermostatically controlled sandwich plates if that was a concern.

....and the oil will warm up slower without the exchanger? It makes total sense since water will warm up much quicker than oil so it has the added benefit of warming the oil which is beneficial and slips most peoples minds. Of course I've not seen data to support or deny it but it makes sense.

I know of the thermostat plates (have run a Mocal cooler before).

....and the oil will warm up slower without the exchanger? It makes total sense since water will warm up much quicker than oil so it has the added benefit of warming the oil which is beneficial and slips most peoples minds. Of course I've not seen data to support or deny it but it makes sense.

I know of the thermostat plates (have run a Mocal cooler before).

I dont notice much difference at all

So your saying a bigger oil cooler is going to make no difference on this build because I've got one to fit
And what is the oil cooler sandwich plate pics ? Sorry very new to this s3 business

So your saying a bigger oil cooler is going to make no difference on this build.....

I have'nt read anyone say that ..........

Controlling temps is important. for heavy use the oil temps in these 1.8ts soar, so if spirited driving and or track use on high power is planned, its going to support that extra heat load.
16row minimum based on my own experience.

google mocal