Oil Consumption and water

yusuf7869

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

What is the general oil consumption of the B8 S4 with hard driving. Seem to be topping up about 0.5l in 2000 miles.

Also water level dropped about the same.

Positive Crankcase Ventilation.

0.5 litres in 2K seem fine to me :)

Reactions: yusuf7869
S4's do have a tendency to have water loss for some reason

Maybe interesting for some. For me, it is potentially very costly. Only had the car a year. It's all the car I could wish for.
I'll know which way to turn at the weekend.
It may be the brick wall.

Right.
Compression test has now been done. And it's good news.
Cylinder's 1 to 3 all at 130 psi and cylinder's 4 to 6 at 135 psi. All dry measurements.
The wet measurements ranged from 145 psi to 170 psi.
What I did notice is there was oil on some of the coil shafts and around the base of the spark plugs. It varied across all plugs.
With this in mind I thought I twitch up the cam cover hex bolts. I was a bit surprised to find how loose they all where. One must of only of been finger tight.
I now need to find where the oil is going. Pcv is the new version. I have no mayo under the oil cap, and the coolant is clean. But that does go down ever so slowly.
Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks Yusuf.
It looks like the Rocker cover gaskets need replacing. That's a fairly straightforward and cheap job to start with.
After that, I will be giving it a serious engine flush to see if there is some blocked pathways. The only thing I can think of that's causing so much usage is the breather.

Right.
Compression test has now been done. And it's good news.
Cylinder's 1 to 3 all at 130 psi and cylinder's 4 to 6 at 135 psi. All dry measurements.
The wet measurements ranged from 145 psi to 170 psi.
What I did notice is there was oil on some of the coil shafts and around the base of the spark plugs. It varied across all plugs.
With this in mind I thought I twitch up the cam cover hex bolts. I was a bit surprised to find how loose they all where. One must of only of been finger tight.
I now need to find where the oil is going. Pcv is the new version. I have no mayo under the oil cap, and the coolant is clean. But that does go down ever so slowly.
Anyone have any ideas.
What's the timing chain covers like m8?

Here's mine, only able to get to them with box out though.
e695acf3a7cef7b3978ce0ba8936aba7.jpg
ea975e65b4797fd5f264b097ea22f093.jpg
b78447950ab33b7d66ce4a31cc4f69f0.jpg

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Roadrunner146
I have no idea. I've had no drips of oil on the drive. Yours looks quite bad.
Have you pulled the engine out.
How much oil was you using.

Brad
I had no drops of oil on the ground either m8, or any smell of burning oil. I had terrible oil consumption about 500 miles to 1 litre of oil. I pulled the box to do the clutch and found this. Audi don't use gaskets just a high temp oil resistant silicone. Since I've done this the consumption is better but I still have the pcv to do as it's never been touched

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Roadrunner146
Nothing like raising a post from the dusty archives :) I didn't want to start a new post about the same thing.

Was the excessive oil and water use solved?

Mine uses about 1L every 600miles ish and the water level gradually drops, I have checked both systems for leaks but cannot find any.