Oil Burning Smell 2.0t

Donfero

Reaction score
As the title says, this problem is driving me nuts. The smell of oil Burning while throttling down, stopping or reversing. Also i can see smoke coming out of the exhaust under these circumstances.
So far i have changed the valve cover -twice, changed the turbo (used) - i have ordered a new one, and since i have a pcv delete i have returned everything to stock with the same result.
I have my fingers crossed that something might be wrong with the engine internals but it seems to be running fine, and i have already changed the rings a few years ago at the dealership.
Has anyone come across this?
Also i have read that the engine should be sucking when removing the oil cap, mine blows!!

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

Evening chap,
just a few questions to get a better idea on the problem.
Does it smoke on idle and /or when you start up from cold.?
What colour smoke is it ?

No smoke on cold start up, just a bit of smoke when going downhill or stopping on a traffic light, it smokes for a few seconds than it goes away.

I haven't done a compression test to be honest im scared shitless..

Ok if you had worn valve guide seals then you would almost certainly get smoke on start up, so its possible but unlikely to be them.
you've done the piston rings so that's another one off the list.

Could possibly be your return line is either kinked or blocked off. As a result of that the oil backs up in the turbo causing it to take the path of least resistance which is your seals thus burning off in your exhaust. Double, triple check your oil return line coming off the turbo.
Check that next .

Will do that, anything else i should check? Thx

if possible , remove the metal flexi-pipe from the valve cover to the turbo and see how much oil is in it , also if there is any oil residue in the turbo itself from the connection point and inwards.

I have your catch can set up so that pipe goes to the catch can. It does have some oil residue in it though.
Is the blowing instead of sucking an issue? Does it indecate pressure build up in the valve cover?

Ok if you had worn valve guide seals then you would almost certainly get smoke on start up, so its possible but unlikely to be them.
you've done the piston rings so that's another one off the list.

Could possibly be your return line is either kinked or blocked off. As a result of that the oil backs up in the turbo causing it to take the path of least resistance which is your seals thus burning off in your exhaust. Double, triple check your oil return line coming off the turbo.
Check that next .
Rob, i just finished checking the return line its perfectly fine. What should i check next?

List of possible causes is getting shorter.
I think you said a while back you checked your IC's for oil residue etc so that's off the list.
I would be looking to get the compression checked , just to see if all is within parameters.
If you are burning oil then the possible sources are very small really.
Rings, valve guide seals, turbo return line etc .
Have you tried going back to the oem PCV setup for diagnostic purposes, process of elimination really.
Just get the fealing you've missed something .
I have had no issues with the custom pcv setup, other than the mods I listed on the thread.

I have as a first option returned to the OEM PCV, i have even changed a few things in your design with the same outcome. I think next will be the compression test, i have read somewhere it may be the valve seals or the turbo seals. The smoke is dark white and smells like burning oil.

Would the turbo seals do this?

My car is booked for a compression test tomorrow, the shop asked that I return PCV to stock, so I did and haven't noticed any oil smell!! But im having a major vacuum problem, the car is hesitating, misfiring and idiling like crap.
cc078ccbbdc14b27307fca664c9cd247.jpg
337dd0decf3c184c0f16abce900498bf.jpg

I seem to recal you had a similar problem a while back.
I have the full PCV delete setup on my car and have no issues at all , no oil burning smells nor other nasty things.
Oil consumption has settled down nicely now aswell.
Given you have issues still even with the oem pcv setup something is amiss somewhere.

Did you refit the oem setup fully , if you have a hose leak it wont help.

your outside air temp at 42 degrees looks to be very hot in your location, so the IC's will be far from ideal if they are contaminated with oil aswell.

Did a compression test 170s across all cylinders.