Oil balance shaft Modification

Ianski68

Reaction score
can someone tell me is it true that on the BRB engines from a certain point they were modified? If so how can I tell if my engine has or has not!

Thnx

77mm hollow key , 100 mm is solid .

photo1-9.jpg

Spurdrive.jpg

IMG_0727_zpsa3eee6d1.jpg

That's cool so know I know what the problem parts look like.

Did Audi fit this mod on production at any point?

Some common rail engines but no rhyme or reason to which ones , all PD are 77 mm .

Balancer shaft keyway is the main problem .

I saw mention on another thread that there's a guy on here somewhere (Yorkshire based) that is actively doing this repair? Had a search but couldn't find any details amongst the wealth of oil pump threads, apart from recommendations for KMB Parts Direct for the exchange parts required...

Exchange modified remanufactured balancer shaft and longer harder 100mm hex key £215 + labour , probably sub £350 depending on labour rate .

Could you just slide a 100mm key in and leave it at that? Or is it not as simple

I think as the potential damage in there is an unknown that its best to do both (in my unknowledgeable opinion) :)

Only if you could just slide in a 100mm !

Keyway has to be deeper .

Remanufactured modified balancer shaft has deeper , 10x harder chrome vanadium actually hexagonal and perfectly centered keyway .

So been looking at the answers coming back and looking up,parts etc and I am scratching my head.

I have no issues but if wanted to upgrade for peace of mind! What part would I be changing?

KMB talk about chain or gear driven. Which would be mine.

Apologies as I am a total Audi noob. But love my car.

I'm thinking as yours is an '08 like mine that gear driven is correct, with them being later models/Engine codes

Now to find a decent garage to carry out the work not to far from where I live.

Many thanks to everyone for the assist with this.

Appreciated as always.

Reactions: James.c
Good luck mate!
Iv got all the bits to do an oil change I might drop my sump see if I can tell which key it is. What would I need to re fit the sump a gasket or a tube of sealer? Any links would be good thanks guys

If it turns out to be the 100mm one I'm certainly going to buy a few lottery tickets haha

Mine's booked in at MB services Sheffield for the KMB part to be fitted ( they work together )

Best thing I did was get it done, made me sleep a lot better at night ha

Ive rang round today for prices, kmb drive in drive out £560,German auto care £790 ivc £600+vat anyone else got any prices/kmb says mine
is a chain driven shaft ivc says its a gear driven so which is it engine is a 57plate bpw,this is a total minefield,if i was to ring audi uk would they be able to tell me,if it is gear driven does it still need modifing, tbh im getting fed up with spending time and money on this car.

Best thing I did was get it done, made me sleep a lot better at night ha

Every time I start the car I think "will this be the journey it goes". There's loads of A4 TDIs the same age as mine on the road but this forum has got my awfully paranoid

I had it done not so long back

2.0 ltr tdi 140bhp 07 plate..BRE engine code
At the time i had only 52k on the clocks

No problem...apart from paranoier
Bit the bullet.. around £600 ish to do
(I got a major service done at the same time...all fluids etc..gearbox too) (you would need an oilchange anyways with this)

My mechanic showed me a video of mine...and it had abit play! Just caught it in time..thats with no tell tale signs either!

He has just showed me last night a picture of a customers who was recommended to get it done..well!!
The chain has punctured a hole through his engine turbo is ******..engine is fuckes
And the customer said...i wish i got it done

Crap design realy

I think someone on here a while back
Argued on with audi saying they should fix it due to being a crap desing...which it is realy

I think his engine packed up because of it

So mine is a a4 2.0 tdi on a 57 plate engine code bpw does anyone know which it is

Mine is a chain

My mechanic has still fixed them on b8s...so glory audi havnt pulled there fingers oot lol

Going to get this done at the end of next month when my service is due...hopefully enough time to scrape some pennies together

mine is gear driven as i have found out, next friday booked in at MB services sheffield to be done might be able to sleep at night

I'll let you know how mine gets on - Wednesday for me in Sheffield :)

Ok Phil no problem
Just back from Sheffield - All done! Excellent service from MB Services and KMB Parts direct. Dropped off the car at 8am and drive away 3-ish. Only down side was being forced to but a new iPad whilst hanging out at Meadowhall :)

I asked if I could see the old part before it went back to KMB and lo and behold loads of wear and play on the shaft. My paranoia has paid off for once. 84k on the clock on my Avant, just for reference...

Thanks to all involved.