Number plate lights

Bruce Rutherford

Reaction score
Hi all,

Number plate lights went out the other day, I got some new units - the actual plastic bits with the contacts in, and popped in some LED bulbs with them.

Bulbs are all lit up and working fine, no flickering etc, but error still on dash.

Cleared with carista but comes back.

Will this need to be cleared with VCDS or will it be the bulbs causing it?

Bulbs are the festoon ones from Halfords so not eBay cheap ones.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Number plate bulbs can be a real issue - if you replace with LED then you need a resistor to balance the difference the CANBUS is expecting.

With VCDS you can set that you have LED however this won’t guarantee that the dash error won’t still happen.

All of my LED upgrades were from EMTuning - Trups sells a kit for the 8P however, I still got the bulb out error.

The only way I’ve found to resolve this is to get genuine Audi A5 number plate lights and still update the cold test in VCDS.

Number plate bulbs can be a real issue - if you replace with LED then you need a resistor to balance the difference the CANBUS is expecting.

With VCDS you can set that you have LED however this won’t guarantee that the dash error won’t still happen.

All of my LED upgrades were from EMTuning - Trups sells a kit for the 8P however, I still got the bulb out error.

The only way I’ve found to resolve this is to get genuine Audi A5 number plate lights and still update the cold test in VCDS.

Interesting, thanks for the info man - is EMTuning on here or do you have a link at all?

Frustrating cause I’ve done the interior ones and they’re perfect, and the bulbs are actually functioning right!

Is it much hassle to fit a resistor, and any recommendations on where to get these, or do they come with the kits from EMTuning?

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trups also does the 8p number plate lights with a small loom with a bulb on the inside of the tailgate. I have this and have never had any issues or bulb warnings at all.

The resistor loom from Em tuning just plugs in line with number plate loom so easy to do.

Bought LED on ebay set with bulbs, just plug and play, no errors on dashboard, AUDI A3 8p 2008, hope it helps