Newbie - looking at an A3 Sline TFSi Q tomorrow!! ADVICE PLS :)

Mr Shindig

Reaction score
Hey all!!

Merry Crimbo and all that jazz :)

Could any of you lovely peeps advise me on things to look for specific to the A3 8P please?

The car looks pretty decent. It's on Autotrader if you have time to have a nose at it (PR07 DJR).

Really excited!! Hope it's as good as the seller says yeeey!!

Look forward to your replies but completely understand if knowone can 'elp as it's boxing day n'all.

Cheers everyone.

M@

Hey all!!

Could any of you lovely peeps advise me on things to look for specific to the A3 8P please?

The car looks pretty decent. It's on Autotrader if you have time to have a nose at it (PR07 DJR).

Look forward to your replies but completely understand if knowone can 'elp as it's boxing day n'all.

Cheers everyone.

M@

Welcome to the forum. Probably better if you put a link to the sale to make it easy for people to access.

Hi,
Just had a look. Things to note from a glance, aftermarket stereo and it has a gauge in the air vent hole, so likely modified or at least has been in the past. Looks like an aftermarket exhaust. My 06 has a slightly different shape to the tips...

No heated seats, so leather can be cold in winter.

Look for history of timing belt change... Likely due a second soon if not already done.

Not deal breakers, but worth considering!

At that age, price and mileage I think I'd pass on that car, you can probably find a better example. Probably not what you want to hear; sorry just my opinion.

Reactions: ch1z64
Hey all!!

Cheers everyone.

M@
Have to say i would agree with @Matt268uk , if you hold on for longer i am sure you will find 1 with lesser miles maybe not modified ( best to do that urself )

Hi all.

Soz for the late reply - it's boxin' day fam kaos my end currently haha!

Thank you to all for your input. Some solid advice here i reckon.

PRT57 - Thx for the welcome fella. SAMISNAKE got there first haha - thx SAMI :)

CHRIS11122 - Thanks for taking the time to have a gander mate. I thought the same tbf. It's wierd for car that old with one owner from new to have all of those mods unless it was handed down to a younger family member as a gift and then he/she did the mods perhaps? Just a theory....
I will definately check the service history for timing belt deets as well anything else that shouts out at me.

MATT268uk / CH1z64 - Super grateful for your honesty gents. I'm cool with it, that's why i wanted to ask you guys as you have the knowledge and plus this will be my first Audi (always had Ricers).

In conclusion. I'm still going to go and look at the car however, now being armed with some artillery i'll aim for a £4k max... that's if it's as good as the seller says it is.

If it's a pup or the seller is a tawt i'll walk away and hold out ;)

Just puttin' it out there... if you know of anyone who's selling a 8p TFSi quattro (maybe even a S3), please hit me up :)

Wish me luck....

Catch up soon and have a great few days off (i'm sure well deserved!)

SHiNDiG

Hi all.

Soz for the late reply - it's boxin' day fam kaos my end currently haha!

Thank you to all for your input. Some solid advice here i reckon.

PRT57 - Thx for the welcome fella. SAMISNAKE got there first haha - thx SAMI :)

CHRIS11122 - Thanks for taking the time to have a gander mate. I thought the same tbf. It's wierd for car that old with one owner from new to have all of those mods unless it was handed down to a younger family member as a gift and then he/she did the mods perhaps? Just a theory....
I will definately check the service history for timing belt deets as well anything else that shouts out at me.

MATT268uk / CH1z64 - Super grateful for your honesty gents. I'm cool with it, that's why i wanted to ask you guys as you have the knowledge and plus this will be my first Audi (always had Ricers).

In conclusion. I'm still going to go and look at the car however, now being armed with some artillery i'll aim for a £4k max... that's if it's as good as the seller says it is.

If it's a pup or the seller is a tawt i'll walk away and hold out ;)

Just puttin' it out there... if you know of anyone who's selling a 8p TFSi quattro (maybe even a S3), please hit me up :)

Wish me luck....

Catch up soon and have a great few days off (i'm sure well deserved!)

SHiNDiG
1 last piece off advice if you know off anyone who has a genuine ross tech Vcds cable and comp take it along with you , plug it in and do an Autoscan which will tell you if there has been any fsults registered plus it will give correct mileage -/÷ 5 . Check out classifieds here for other A3/s3 might be lucky hope it helps

Reactions: No more and Sibmets
1 last piece off advice if you know off anyone who has a genuine ross tech Vcds cable and comp take it along with you , plug it in and do an Autoscan which will tell you if there has been any fsults registered plus it will give correct mileage -/÷ 5 . Check out classifieds here for other A3/s3 might be lucky hope it helps

Nice one CH1Z64. I'll have a look see. Might invest in one anyway.

Cherrs fella ;)

M@

I would say definitely mapped or has been mapped in the past. Have a look on the web for images of the standard downpipe and look down behind the engine cover (if it is still there) to see if the downpipe is the same or if that has been replaced along with the rest of the exhaust. It is not a BCS and I do not think it is a Milltek. If the downpipe has been replaced it has been tuned to at least stage 2. You need to make sure it has a cat otherwise potential headaches at MOT time. The other indication of high level of tune is the boost gauge. Your average or even stage 1 driver is not normally interested in how much boost the turbo is producing. Nothing wrong with buying a tuned car providing it has been done properly with high quality hardware and software. The servicing routine is crucial and so you must scan the service record thoroughly. Cambelt not just on mileage, could be a bargaining tool. If it has had all Audi servicing history it will never have had the Haldex filter changed. Essential at that mileage to get that done. Walk away if it has been on longlife servicing. Short MOT and looking back at the history advisories may not have been attended to. Last MOT fail due to bulges in tyres so maybe budget so beware of any other cost cutting.
Keep us posted

Hey all.

Thanks again for your support on this. I'm a bit 'sunshine bus' when it comes to "zee Germanz" lol.

Sadly, because of the biblical weather forcast etc etc... i thought it best to scrap seeing the car until Wednesday as it's a 2 hour haul and i don't wanna be taking my waterproofs / snow boots !

So - new plan... This Wedz afterz i'll be viewing the car. The seller has agreed to put a fresh mot on it for me. This will hopefully give me more time to source a ross tech Vcds ("ShOuTz ch1z64"). Anyhews... Much respect 'prt57'. Some wise input for sure, many thanks my man. I'll be sure to check all of your solid suggestions once i'm with the A3.

'prt57' - i think you may be on to something... have a look at the screenshot attached. That says 'played with' to me..... unless i'm being paranoid ! Hahaha

Thanks all

:)

M@

Attachments

• Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    185.8 KB · Views: 168
Hey all.

Thanks again for your support on this. I'm a bit 'sunshine bus' when it comes to "zee Germanz" lol.

Sadly, because of the biblical weather forcast etc etc... i thought it best to scrap seeing the car until Wednesday as it's a 2 hour haul and i don't wanna be taking my waterproofs / snow boots !

So - new plan... This Wedz afterz i'll be viewing the car. The seller has agreed to put a fresh mot on it for me. This will hopefully give me more time to source a ross tech Vcds ("ShOuTz ch1z64"). Anyhews... Much respect 'prt57'. Some wise input for sure, many thanks my man. I'll be sure to check all of your solid suggestions once i'm with the A3.

'prt57' - i think you may be on to something... have a look at the screenshot attached. That says 'played with' to me..... unless i'm being paranoid ! Hahaha

Thanks all

M@
Just another little foot note ( due to being caught out ) make sure u check the underneath off the car if you get a chance ie if ur going to take for a test drive visit a local garage and ask them if they would stick it up on there ramps ( give him a few bob ) just to make sure all is sound . As i ended up taking a private seller to small claims as i had a 12" split on my sill and u guessed i lost the claim due to not checking all b4 buying , if it is trade u stand a better chance if something is noticed later .

Reactions: Mr Shindig

Thanks all

M@

nothing in that pic suggests that.
undertrays and engine covers are fitted from standard, and it does impede the testers view of any leaks etc. usually not mentioned on an mot as they are fitted standard, but still, nothing untoward

Just my 2p worth but I wouldn’t drive 2 hours to see that.

they’re not that uncommon and I’ll eat my hat if that’s a 1 owner car. Plus, it’s just me but I’m always suspicious when ads have loads of interior and exterior shots, but none of the engine bay.
And as for the “I’ll put an mot on”. The last car I bought they did that and when I test drove it I found that two lower bushes were shot. Says a lot about their tester.

Advice on the car seems to be covered, but it's location doesn't seem to be an issue.
You are 2 hours away, and this dealer is in a Tier 3 area.
The whole country is currently in another lockdown because the spread of this deadly virus is getting out of hand. I don't know your personal circumstances, but it's hard to justify a 2 hour drive to view a car in a T3 area, even if you are T3 yourself.

Also. if thtiminng belt hasn't beeen replaced at
Just another little foot note ( due to being caught out ) make sure u check the underneath off the car if you get a chance ie if ur going to take for a test drive visit a local garage and ask them if they would stick it up on there ramps ( give him a few bob ) just to make sure all is sound . As i ended up taking a private seller to small claims as i had a 12" split on my sill and u guessed i lost the claim due to not checking all b4 buying , if it is trade u stand a better chance if something is noticed later .

Good call fella. I'll do that i think. Might try and find a local audi spesh and get it plugged in also ;)

Also. if thtiminng belt hasn't beeen replaced at
nothing in that pic suggests that.
undertrays and engine covers are fitted from standard, and it does impede the testers view of any leaks etc. usually not mentioned on an mot as they are fitted standard, but still, nothing untoward

Noted Sami many thanks

Advice on the car seems to be covered, but it's location doesn't seem to be an issue.
You are 2 hours away, and this dealer is in a Tier 3 area.
The whole country is currently in another lockdown because the spread of this deadly virus is getting out of hand. I don't know your personal circumstances, but it's hard to justify a 2 hour drive to view a car in a T3 area, even if you are T3 yourself.

I need a car for work as i am a truck driver. I'm borrowing my Mums when i can which isn't very convenient :(

Last V5 change 3 years ago, suggests more than one owner. Ask the seller for a pic of V5.

Reactions: Mr Shindig and abmat
I would assume that it defo has had 2 owners since new the person who first bought it and now the person selling it .

Reactions: samisnake
Last V5 change 3 years ago, suggests more than one owner. Ask the seller for a pic of V5.
just checked on webuyanycar (only site i could find that shows you the number of previous owners for free) and that says 1. the current owner is not included in the 'previous owners', so once this car is sold, previous owners will be 2.

Evening all!

Firstly, have a great NYE (well as much gusto as you can have under these circumstances!).

So, just got back from my 5 hour round trip to Notts..... sadly without a "Immaculate inside and out" A3 Q :(

Right off the bat from approach the car looked unloved:

Faded paintwork (roof v bad). Various scratches on every panel, especially the bonnet. Chips and paint missing on several panel. Cracked grille. Rust forming on drivers door near sill (is this common?).... i'm sure the list would be much bigger if i had asked to sit in it!

This car is advertised as IMMACULATE. In truth it is average to fair for age cosmetically. As far as i'm concerned the car dealer is being dishonest in the advert!! It may be a 13 year old car, but when it's described as above you expect it to be much better!

The hunt continues i guess.....

Lesson learned.

was this the 1 owner but it’s got a boost gauge one?

Glad you weren't over eager and just bought it , there is many good ones around and in time you will find 1

From some crazy reason I agreed to go to see an S3 with my son a few years ago. Again advertised as immaculate. We live in Solihull and the car was near York where I come from.
We had to go up in an old 1.0L Metro that would not start again when it was hot!
The S3 was the worst example I had ever seen. It must have lived in the sea most of its life it was so rusty and it was really nasty al over. Shocking that a car can be allowed to deteriorate so much in 10 years.
We never even went for a test drive.
To cap it all the Metro was really difficult to start again then we had to travel the 130 miles back home again.
You’ve got to do these things to support the younger family members but it was a massive lesson learnt. They always look better in photos!!

Why don’t you reach out to @deanshaw24.

pretty sure he’s doing one up on his YouTube channel, Savingsalvage, that at some point he’ll be looking to sell. You’ll know it’s had a load of work done to it so mechanically it’ll be sound.

Reactions: Mr Shindig and Daveyonthemove
There ia a nice Green one on facebook for sale

Why don’t you reach out to @deanshaw24.

pretty sure he’s doing one up on his YouTube channel, Savingsalvage, that at some point he’ll be looking to sell. You’ll know it’s had a load of work done to it so mechanically it’ll be sound.
Great Idea!
Dean does a great job of diagnosing and fixing his cars, one of the few UK Salvage channels worth watching.

Reactions: abmat
You are aware that the ugly and out of date phone holder cannot be removed, aren't you?
Well, it can, but it leaves a ghastly hole in the dash. Something to consider if you didn't already know.

Reactions: abmat
Rather high mileage.

And it’s done 4K miles in 3 years. I’d question that as it doesn’t look like a garage queen.

You are aware that the ugly and out of date phone holder cannot be removed, aren't you?
Well, it can, but it leaves a ghastly hole in the dash. Something to consider if you didn't already know.

Thats the factory, or at least dealer, fitted holder.
That one looks aftermarket and like it just slots between the dash and the headunit

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
been cleaned to within an inch of its life.

I bet my bottom dollar it has more issues than just the broken rear wiper motor.
To be fair, I would rather view a clean car that looks looked after than see a filthy one that looks neglected.
I have turned down a test drive in the past based on a used car dealer not even bothering to hoover wood shavings off the carpets. I want a well presented car, but only if the maintenance and service history is up to date and accurate. I'm the sort of person that checks oil level weekly and tops up screen wash, and while I'm under the bonnet I will wipe off the dirt so it looks presentable, and should any leaks develop they are easier to spot.
I would hate to think that a car I was selling was ignored for being clean.

All valid points.

but on the flip side dealers will go to town as a well presented car can prevent further questions.

knowing some of the dealers round that area I wouldn’t buy from there.

but talk is cheap and nothing is better than seeing the vehicle in the flesh and doing due diligence.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove