newb, with 1.9 130 loss of power after head gasket change

BEELZEDUB

hippy exhaust guru
Reaction score
Website
www.vintagevolkshaus.webs.com
I bought this car about 3 weeks ago, i guess the previous owner dumped some crap in the water to mask a blown head gasket.

my problems started about 3 days after buying the car i noticed on my drive to work (13miles) the hot air went cold then went hot again.so asked the garage around the corner from work to take a look. at first they thought it was trapped air so purged the system. they took it for a test drive and the same symptoms appeared.
they then did a quick head gasket test and POW the test showed positive.

so a call to a pal with a garage and a call to previous owner which got me nowhere. i decided to try and fix.

the car drove great boosted well and was super smooth to drive, just blows hot and cold.

well the head was checked and pressure tested, think it may have been skimmed, will have to find out from engineers.
all fitted with genuine vw/audi parts.

all went fine until i collected it and test drove it, it was gutless, just didn't seem to be boosting. my pals then double and triple checked everything no fault codes, vacuum checked and smoke tested again nothing, air meter came up as below perameters, so fitted a new bosch meter, no change.

so all left scratching heads and car although nice and smooth doesn't appear to be boosting and is really slow.

anyone got any ideas or phone no. to call to discuss.

thanks Mike.

spoken this morning to engineers and the head was totally remanufactured, pressure tested and skimmed, new injector seals and intalled.
have had a few pointers.

1. vacuum lines in correct places (have no idea where the correct places are so if any one has any pics that'll be great)
  2. turbo vanes stuck causing over boost and shutting turbo down?
  3. 21 pin plug in head?
  4. injectors needing cleaning and loosing first stage injection?

any other ideas welcome and comments on the above.

mike.

hi mate,who actually did the work on the head?
have you returned it back to them as it was running fine before so why not get them to sort it?
if theres no faults in ecu i would of thought it wasnt overboosting as they usually throw a code,have you checked the actuator on the turbo, ive heard the variable vains cause problems on these sticking etc
do you have access to vagcom or something that you can see what injectors timing etc is doing while driving,i would have said recheck timing as well but you say its running sweet but suppose it cant harm to recheck it anyway u never know!
finally who skimmed the head,did they fit the right size head gasket after skimming as you will know this could mess compression ration up etc

the garage that did the head gasket has had the car for an extra week after a pointed the problem out to them, timing has been re-checked to no avail.
the engineer i think told me that upon skimming all the valve faces are then re-ground to allow for the face skim to keep the commpression ratio the same.

is their a way of checking the actuator?

thanks mike.

im guessing theyve mixed up the vacuum pipes.

anyone with a 130 pd lump wana take some pictures of the vac lines/solenoids etc.?

hi pal,i would have thought the garage would have rechecked the actuator and the vac pipes too, im not 100% sure how the 1.9tdi actuator is controlled but i presume it would be vac operated and if so you can check this by disconecting the vac pipe and connecting some sort of pump and just see if the rod moves or you can try and get somone to rev the engine right up and see if it moves a little bit but first actually see if the rod is not siezed open or shut and check the vac pipe to it to see if theres pressure there.
what about injectors,are they firing right,is it running sweet apart from boost?
and what did the garage say after they couldnt fault it,did they just give it straight back to you and say there we cant fix it!

I'm doing some work on the A6 tomorrow, I'll try and get a photo of the vac lines on it. Fingers crossed they're the same.
I have heard bad things about skimmed PD engines though.
Hope it's not the case!

what about injectors,are they firing right,is it running sweet apart from boost?
and what did the garage say after they couldnt fault it,did they just give it straight back to you and say there we cant fix it!

the thing is with the garage, they only work on classic and vintage cars so don't have modern tech available to them. all they can do it the mechanical stuff and re-check their work.
they are as stumped as me, they sent it to a modern garage to use diagnostics and a smoke test, that garage only found low perameters on the air mass meter, this was changed and no difference, so was removed and sent back.

the car idles fine and drives smooth, just seems that the revs aren't there and it just accelerates slowly, 5th gear really doesn't give you anything usable, if your at 70 on dual carriageway and in 5th put your foot down, nothing happens.

its gotta be something that was disturbed cause it worked great before even with a blown head gasket.

BlackQuat that offer of pics would be great lets hope it's the same.

mike

low airmass readings because the turbo's not pulling the air in.

its gotta be something that was disturbed cause it worked great before even with a blown head gasket.

you said it there pal, if it was fine before it surely has to be related to something theyve touched although there is a slight possiblity that something culd have broken while removing everything as things do breakdown!
sounds to me though like you have two garages there who dont know what theyre doing with this car,you have one garage who doesnt do anything modern like you say and have no diagnostic equipment and a garage who misdiagnosed the airflow sensor.
i hope its just a case of a vac pipe connected wrongly and that sorts your problem, why not just swap the lines over yourself and take it for a quick drive to see if boost comes back,you can easily swap it back over if its not right!
one other thing which im not sure is if the injectors are coded to each cyinder on these engines but put back wrongly could they affect boost, i wouldnt have thought so as ive done it in the past on other engines and they just run a little rough.
keep us updated pal but you might need somone with vagcom so you can see parameters if everythings ok in engine bay!

Good job I'd logged in! I'd forgotten about my offer to photo the A6.
I'm just making some bread and then I'll sort it.

Pics are poop!
But hopefully they may help
DSC01075.jpg

DSC01072.jpg

DSC01073.jpg

had a bit of a play today myself, the vacuum line appear to be correct, doesn't look like they could be mixed up as they all look to be routed according to lengths.
will try and draw a diagram of where they are going.

one thing i did notice and it might be nothing , but there was quite alot of oil in the big pipe the runs from the intercooler, and the clip in joints although they snap together well look alittle loose.

the turbo vanes appear to move quite freely so this seems ok.

i also took some pics of my vac lines, but like those above it's difficult to see where they are actually going.

it appears to be boosting, if you rev it up and hold the rubber hose it goes hard, so i guess it must be boosting. This must also mean that the vacuum pipes are correct?

i have also got someone running vagcom on it on sat, so hopefully it will show something. can you do rolling/live diagnostics with vagcom?

well this really annoying problem is still here.

things that have been checked now;-

all vac lines and solenoids.
turbo boost pressure, actuator and vanes (not stuck)
no fault codes even with vagcom (full version)
egr is faulty, but can't see this causing slowness.
2 brand new bosch air mass meters no change.
fuel filter changed.
timing checked 3 times

so is there anything that i'm missing before we have to take the car apart and start from scratch??

How are you checking the timing ??? my car is my first diesel but i noticed when changing my own cambelt that you can get quite diferent results by moving the cam timing either way... just setting it to the marks is really just to get it up and running and you really need to be checking it whilstit's running on Vag-Com.... torque dwell angle i think it's called... just moving the cam drive wheel a tiny bit can have quite a large impact on this figure.... so just wondering how you checked your timing

A blocked or faulty egr will cause power loss. Mine was gummed up and the car would not pull at all. Take it off along with the exhaust manifold and give it a good clean with carb cleaner. There's a guide on here how to do it. Its an easy but messy and time consuming job. Is the vacuum pipe ok on top of the egr valve?

Hello. I know last post is from 2012 but i was wondering if you ever found out wat was wrong with your car? I'm in iceland and have this problem with skoda octavia 1.9tdi pd 2006. No power after head gasket and walve change. The head was checked an was ok. We have checked everything that comes to our mynd and even borrowed car that worked and moved few parts from the working car with no luck.
Hope i get som answers.
Gudmundur from iceland