New wheels pics....but which tyres?

-Ju-

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Have got myself a new set of wheels to go on the sportback but I'm trying to decide which tyres to put on them.
I've used toyo's quite a bit in the past without complaints and can get 4 for £376 fitted. But before I get them are there other makes that people would recommend? I here good things about goodyear gsd3's so might look at them. The main thing I want is RIM PROTECTION else I'll be too scared to let the missus out in the car!! also decent mileage so not too soft.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/judelbug/DSC00016.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/judelbug/DSC00010.jpg

Hope you like!!

Very nice mate, i'm on bridgestone potenzas at the moment a bit more pricey but very grippy and lasting well too.

Look like they come in about £100 more. They are a brand I would rate so would consider them. Do they have a good rim protection bead? I know it won't stop kerbing all together but would help.

The're genuine Audi BBS Calitos 18" . Just couldn't turn them down. Nothing wrong with the RS4's that I've got but these are one of my favourite wheels and hard to come by.
Took the RS4's off last night to clean them up and god the car looks pants now, need to get some tyres sorted asap

The pirellis I have on mine have very good rim protectors, I'll get a picture for you although I'd always go for Goodyear F1's. Nice wheels, were those the ones on fleabay ?

Yes that's them!! How do you find the Pirellis in general, there standard fit on the LCR's but most have changed them to Goodyear GSD3's

I have recently had my fronts replaced with Goodyear Eagle F1s which offer much better rim protection than the original Pirelli p zeros that came on my A3. Deep tread looks good and they feel more confident than the Pirellis

Must admit I've only ever heard good reports about the Goodyears:icon_thumright:

At the moment it's either

Bridgestone Potenza
Goodyear F1's
Toyo T1R's

Thanks for the replies

Pirellis ain't bad, not as loud as I was expecting but they will be replaced with F1's when the time comes.

Goodyear Eagles F1's. I've had both types of Toyos and the Goodyears on a previous car and the Goodyears were alot better. The Toyos were not so hot in the wet.

Goodyears get alot of good reports and despite Pirellis getting slated the P Zero Neros in 235/35/19s on my cousins TT were excellent. Depends what you want, handling/life expectancy or abit of both. I want a balance hence why I'm going for Falkens.

Dunlop SP Sport 225/45 R18

Excellent durability and great grip in wet and dry. Bit pricey though.

I got Goodyear eagle F1 GSD3's on my S3 and they didn't last 5 mins compared to the michelin sport's I had on previously. Also the mich's had better grip too

Michelins are noted to last longer but then do cost a chunk more.

The last set of Dunlops I had tramlined like mad, not sure on the model though.

Will probably go Goodyear F1's unless my wallet gets the better of me and makes me buy the Toyo's!

3.2 Ju said:
Michelins are noted to last longer but then do cost a chunk more.

The last set of Dunlops I had tramlined like mad, not sure on the model though.

Will probably go Goodyear F1's unless my wallet gets the better of me and makes me buy the Toyo's!
One thing to note on the Toyos: Although I did find them to be a pretty good tyre, they only lasted 3 months!! These replaced a set iof pirelli P6000's which were poop despite lasting nearly 2 years.

Yeah, come to think of it, i've had 3 sets of Toyos. All very good tyres but only lasted 10 months on each.......decisions decisions!

if you can find them Bridgestone SO-2s, failing that Conti SportContacts

IMO Pirelli are a waste of money - had them on many cars and they're crap

Got the wheels fitted today, decided to go with the Goodyear GSD3's

Not the best picture but here they are

I'll do some tomorrow with the camera, Weather permitting!!

Looking very nice Ju. Did you get the older F1s with the V tread or the new asymetrical tread pattern?

Out of interest, which H&R kit are you running, and how do you find the ride?

maars said:
Looking very nice Ju. Did you get the older F1s with the V tread or the new asymetrical tread pattern?

Out of interest, which H&R kit are you running, and how do you find the ride?
They are the older GSD3's with the vtread. The H & R's are just the springs, the ride quality is fine

Looks nice, I take it thats the audi / vortex kit ? whats the drop on those springs ? any pictures of the back end :)

Yeah it's the Votex kit, the drop is around 35mm

3.2 Ju said:
They are the older GSD3's with the vtread. The H & R's are just the springs, the ride quality is fine

What did you pay for the GSD per corner as I'm shocked to see after only 6,500 miles my front tyres are rapidly wearing away (Sport Conti) - I think I'll need a set by around 8,000 miles as I never let it go to the wear limiter.

Cheers Spin

They were £105 a corner fitted, although they are the Chinese ones. Don't know if there any different to the original german made ones but according to Goodyear there the same.

Just bought a set of these, plan to add spacers x 10mm all round then post some pics. The standard S3 ones will go in the loft until PX time or back on if I get bored :)

Thanks for the pics etc...

Cheers mate, I have to say they do look different again in the flesh. The detail just doesn't show up in photo's from a distance.