New turbo required.

Andy88

Reaction score
So basically to cut a long story short i need a new turbo on my 2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDi 140, i have decided to take advantage of this situation and get a Hybrid turbo fitted. After doing some research i think i have found a suitable candidate (MD481 Hybrid turbocharger) now all i need to know is what other parts do i need as in pipes/lines ect and what other parts of my car will i have to upgrade to make full use of the new turbo. Im planning to get the work done this week or the week after so any fast help is much appreciated and of course i will be showing my results here when its finally sorted.

When I looked into it a while ago, a hybrid turbo would deffo require a remap and could involve FMIC, CAI, exhaust and clutch.

You dont actually need a new IC imho, I didnt & goes like poo of a shovel, I only added a CDA intake option as it saves keep swapping out filters at service time & has a much better direct air feed, (wasnt fitted to get 500bhp increase) although I havnt added a new exhaust tbh, but I am testing a cat delete atm, cant tell any difference but its been off the road for a while with upgrades ongoing, so will give her a good run when back up.

If your car is still running then only thing you'd need is new gaskets, new turbo manifold buts, clean out the egr, imf, intake mani as its probably got 6-10mm of thick sludge in it, I cleaned mine down to the metal, check all pipes for seals perishing or splits whilst got it all of, also check turbo to make sure all blades on the impellor are intact, if not then certainly flush out the IC as I found small pieces of metal in mine from my turbo.

Thanks for the replys, i had a milltek catback then thought i may as well get the downpipe too and i actually think the downpipe made a big difference after a remap. Where did you buy your turbo from? Because i am unsire if i get all the pipes if i buy it from turbo dynamics.

IM DOING MINE THIS WEEK and am fitting new return pipe and feed pipe as well, all new gaskets and nuts,

Turbo Dynamics are good enough yes.

TPS for pipes nuts gasgets etc.

I got my turbo from TURBO TECHNICS NORTHAMPTON

What's the rough price of a hybrid and what makes you think you need a new turbo? I'm worried because mine is whistling like a bast**d.

£900 odd

If you notice any power issues with maybe some limp modes then thats a sign possibly.

Thanks Nigel. Is there a specific hybrid that is the one to buy? Beyond this I won't go further than a remap and exhaust if it helps.

It will be turbo dynamics that I buy from as they supply litchfields and lateral performance who I've always bought tubing parts through.

I've not had any limp home modes, but I wouldn't know about loss of power as it's whistled since I bought it 10 days ago. Certainly feels as spritely as I would expect a diesel to.

i just had had my hybrid fitted and am well happy with it got mine from Turbo technics in northampton
£660 retail.

Thanks Nigel. Is there a specific hybrid that is the one to buy? Beyond this I won't go further than a remap and exhaust if it helps.

It will be turbo dynamics that I buy from as they supply litchfields and lateral performance who I've always bought tubing parts through.

I've not had any limp home modes, but I wouldn't know about loss of power as it's whistled since I bought it 10 days ago. Certainly feels as spritely as I would expect a diesel to.

There are 2 types from TD, 220-240 & 240-260 iirc, I went with the safer version for obvious reasons, goes like poo of a shovel, then again its down to the mapper.

TBH unless you have any signs of issues like overboost errors or limp modes, then why change it unless you specifically are a boost addict.

got mine from Turbo technics in northampton £660 retail.

That price is based on an exchange purchase oly, new are £900 from TT.

Nigel, are those numbers the power it's rated to or model numbers?

Is the engine safe for 220+ on the diesel?

Am not looking for performance, I just have a feeling turbo is going to show problems soon.

BHP rating.

I went for the lesser of the 2 for that very reason, no point pushing my luck, but yeah they can handle it if you dont rag it everywhere.

****** ridiculous he needs a new turbo on a 5 year old car. We seem to be programmed by the manufactures to expect turbo's and things to go at 70k miles so that's ok then but the reality is a car engine should be good for a couple of hundred k these days. Its the drive for huge mpg and performance figure that has brought this on. 10 years ago my neighbour had a driving school and a fleet of 10+ 205 1.9td's and she expected 150-200k out of them with maybe a clutch at 100k. we seem to be going backwards these days with ever more complicated cars with a hundred sensors and a couple of computers to squeeze 1mpg extra out of them and reliability seems to be crap. i mean honestly..how many people really need electric mirrors instead of a little stick to adjust them ? Only the disabled might really need electric seats and as for auto wipers and lights...I mean how difficult is it to switch the lights on when your eyes register a lack of light :) or some rain spots on the window ? Yes its all very nice but the reality is its just an excuse to whack the price up. :)..lol the "techs" cant fix em, we need a computer to even get an idea what wrong with them and if its anything like my 3.2 then a problem like a cam chain can effectively write it off at 45k miles !!........progress for ya :)

Last edited:
Reactions: flying oyster
Sorry guys i have been neglecting this post i have been really busy. I need a new tubo because my old one was damaged when my engine over heated on the motorway and made a very loud bang!! was not very happy. I have bought the turbo now and its being fitted today and tomorrow. After that has been done i am going to awesome gti and they are fitting me a Helix clutch an S3 intercooler and remapping the car to suit the new turbo. Whilst i was at awesome today they asked me the question of single or dual mass flywheel so i am now having trouble making the correct decision! I can go for the stronger single mass but he said i would have to deal with the noise that it makes or go with the weaker dual mass but i will have to make sure my driving style is suited to it and not put alot of power down in low revs when im in a high gear or it can badly damage it. Does anyone have a single mass and can demonstrate the noise or have any experience in this matter ???

im going for a helix clutch soon think its £440.00 not going for single single fly wheel as been told to noisy.

make sure you replace the oil feed pipe.
So basically to cut a long story short i need a new turbo on my 2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDi 140, i have decided to take advantage of this situation and get a Hybrid turbo fitted. After doing some research i think i have found a suitable candidate (MD481 Hybrid turbocharger) now all i need to know is what other parts do i need as in pipes/lines ect and what other parts of my car will i have to upgrade to make full use of the new turbo. Im planning to get the work done this week or the week after so any fast help is much appreciated and of course i will be showing my results here when its finally sorted.