New style front number plate holders??

Mikey

Reaction score
Have audi started to use a new kind of front number plate holder? I ask because a freind of mine has just had a new front end put onto his A3 Sline due to a smash. He came round last night and pointed out to me that he now has a new plate holder on the front. It looks identical to the one that his plate was stuck to before, but this one goes over your plate, thus holding it in without having to drill or stick pads on the reg. Bascailly this holder goes over your plate and must screw down over it. Interesting i thought....in a geeky way!

i took my holder off and just stuck the plates on the bumper - looks much nicer and smoother i think!

I think the type of number plate holder is down to each individual dealer.

The new A3 Sportback I collected on 1st March did not have anything on the front and the plate was stuck and screwed directly to the front grill unit. I was not keen on the screws and when I called in one day I asked the parts manager if he could make me a new front plate and explained why. This he did and did not charge me for it.

The rear plate was in a surround with the dealers name on it. I was not keen on this either, so I removed the plate, unscrewed the surround and re-stuck the plate.

Dealer badging really gets on my nerves, be it number plate holders, rear window stickers or, worst of all, vinyl or even metal badges on the back.

Neither of my Audis have had anything like this thank god but an old Rover I had had a rear window sticker which I removed. When it went in for a service I noticed on collection that they'd put a new one in and I went ballistic at them and told them in no uncertain terms that my car is not a mobile advertising hoarding for them!

no i dont mean the reg plate surrounds (dealer ones) its the bit that the reg sits on, on the bumper. Ive attached a pic of what i mean. I tryed to get a pics of my mates last night but it was too dark.

AudiA3_030-1.jpg

the black plastic section on my mates sits over the reg, it appears you can un-screw it, lift it open, pop your plate into position then screw down the plastic bit.

According to Audi parts catalogue there are 4 different types of licence plate holders for the new style grill. There is a later version shown for the 2007 model year for the 'normal' rectangular plate but no part number is given. The type fitted may well vary according to the market country. All the new 2007 model year A3s I have seen so far in the UK have had the same type as mine.

Vertigo1 said:
Dealer badging really gets on my nerves, be it number plate holders, rear window stickers or, worst of all, vinyl or even metal badges on the back.

Neither of my Audis have had anything like this thank god but an old Rover I had had a rear window sticker which I removed. When it went in for a service I noticed on collection that they'd put a new one in and I went ballistic at them and told them in no uncertain terms that my car is not a mobile advertising hoarding for them!

That would actually make me very suspicious of your car come resale time. No stickers in the back window may indicate a rear shunt and new glass. Same for number plates. If they all don't match it will put me off buying the car.

d3fy said:
That would actually make me very suspicious of your car come resale time. No stickers in the back window may indicate a rear shunt and new glass. Same for number plates. If they all don't match it will put me off buying the car.

I've never thought of it that way. Before I picked mine up from the dealer I told them under no uncertain terms were they to put any damn dealer stickers anywhere near it!!!

i take the dealer stickers off all my cars and family cars - even when i detail i ask if they want the sticker left on

imo it spoils the look of a car!

even my number plates - they had a dealer logo and i quickly changed them - same with tax disc holder etc...

no one needs to know where i got the car from!

okay a really simple question (hence my user name)
I am about to fit new number plates to my 06 a3 and want to remove dealer mounting plates
1) Are the dealer mountings screwed on
2) I assume I just pull off existing plates to reveal mounting plate screws underneath ?

many thanks :icon_thumright:

Boydie said:
yes to both!

many thanks for such a quick reply now just got to wait for new reg plates to come in the post (hope they are not folded up to fit through letterbox) then off to local dvla to change logbook and tax

d3fy said:
That would actually make me very suspicious of your car come resale time. No stickers in the back window may indicate a rear shunt and new glass.

That's a bit OTT isn't it d3fy?? I'm sure most people are like me and don't want a pishy sticker in their window.

In Bedford if you buy a VW or Audi it comes with a Vindis sticker on the tailgate. I mean on the paintwork not the window. I'd definately be asking them to remove it. It's an 'Audi A3' not an 'Audi A3 Vindis'!

Just my opinion staz? I know i would not have some car supermarket stickers on my car, and I would not have anything on the body work. But to me, a full set of dealer stamped plates, tax disc, rear sticker, just makes it 'complete' and feel as thou the car was cared for? But then as plank says [i'm] 'obviously neurotic '

d3fy said:
Just my opinion staz? I know i would not have some car supermarket stickers on my car, and I would not have anything on the body work. But to me, a full set of dealer stamped plates, tax disc, rear sticker, just makes it 'complete' and feel as thou the car was cared for? But then as plank says [i'm] 'obviously neurotic '

I think it's good to personalise your car. Get blank plates, stylish (NOT chav) tax disc holder, no dealer stickers, 'ring sticker :rockwoot:lol

cough cough, so back to the topic in hand. Anyone know a PN for this new style plate holder. Its NOT a plate surround that the dealers put on that your reg sits in. Its hard to descirbe. The bit im talking about is removable from the front bumper. If you look underneath the reg (inside the lower grill) you will see 4 screws running along the reg, once undone, the top part unclips and the backing plate comes off.....see pic below. The one my freind has looks simalar but his actaully sits over the reg plate thus holding it in without any needs to stick or screw your place down. Reason im eager to get one is ive just fitted new plates and i dont want to screw them in, and ive used sticky pads, which are useless.

plate.jpg