New s5 questions

Kirbz

Reaction score
Hi there
Not new to Audi’s but just collected a new s5 fastback, well it’s 8 months old. Moved from a Touareg and previous to that an RS6

Got a few questions that I hope someone can help as it’s driving me crackers.

First one is in my previous Audi and VWs I used to have my iPhone connected via the mmi connector so it played all my music etc and had my work phone for calls via Bluetooth. On the new car I connect my iPhone to the usb which give me the lovely CarPlay but I then can’t connect my phone to Bluetooth? As soon as I disconnect the iPhone my work phone will connect??

The other niggle is also linked to CarPlay!! When I’m playing music and enjoying life with my new car and you engage reverse or engage the parking sensors it knocks the CarPlay menu off back to the main menu but once you set off you can go back to the CarPlay menu? Comes up on the main menu but won’t let you select it and I can only get it back on by unplugging the phone and back in again which isn’t idea .

Other than that I love the car so want to find a way round these niggles

Cheers
Mike

Couple of pics

Attachments

• F26CDDD7-29D9-4A8A-9C37-C27C8D24D512.jpeg
    F26CDDD7-29D9-4A8A-9C37-C27C8D24D512.jpeg
    835.9 KB · Views: 181
  • B0F7E729-02AA-4687-A475-96F300F680E8.jpeg
    B0F7E729-02AA-4687-A475-96F300F680E8.jpeg
    775.7 KB · Views: 189
First Paragraph: I don't believe that this is possible, but could be wrong as I remember reading somewhere that it could be done with some OBD coding and also only if you have the Wireless charging feature. (someone else will need to correct me)

Second Paragraph: I'm unsure of what you mean? When I engage Reverse, it may come off the carplay menu, but will go back once back in Drive. Also to note that you can override it and go back into carplay when engaged in reverse. (whilst the reversing/parking diagram is up)

Also, love the black, looks mean. I would have gone for that colour again, but the cleaning and maintenance is a killer.

Bluetooth is disconnected when connecting to Android Auto so the data/calls etc are routed via USB. I imagine it's the same with Carplay.

In Android Auto the reversing sensor is a "popup" window on top of the main AA screen, so it doesn't come out of AA. I'll take a photo when I next get chance and show you what I mean, but the second bit might be a nuance of Apple carplay rather than anything to do with Audi.

Thanks for the response.

I’ve asked Audi as well to see if it’s anything I’m doing? Yes CarPlay is nice but I’m not bothered about the fancy display as long as I can play my music from my iPhone?

Just seems a step backwards if you can’t have two phones connected as I was able to do that 10 years ago in my old Audi?

I read a few people complaining over the usb slots as they override everything? Be interested to see if you could add the wireless kit to the car as both my phones are wireless so might be a way round?

Sorry forgot to answer the question, when the parking sensors are engaged either by going into reverse or just getting close to someone it turns the CarPlay menu off completely and sends it back to the main menu but won’t go back to the CarPlay menu when you engage drive and carry on? Maybe a glitch or as suggested something stupid within Apple CarPlay

Just seems a step backwards if you can’t have two phones connected as I was able to do that 10 years ago in my old Audi?

You can still have your secondary phone connected via BT.

There are two available BT slots on the MMI, but the primary is taken up by Carplay/AA. If you have a phone with NFC and the phone box specced, you can also connect it using the Audi Phone box, which doesn't require BT or a wired connection. And charges it too.

I for example have my personal phone connected by USB to use AA, and my work phone (also an android model) connected via BT to the secondary slot on the car, at the same time. If I disconnect the USB from my personal phone, the BT connection takes over that as well as my work phone and I get two BT links to the car one from each phone. I use the audi phone box for charging my work phone usually, wirelessly, and the USB lead for my personal phone which has spotify etc for AA.

Thanks for the response, unfortunately I don’t have phone box on my car which is a shame.

Both my phones are iPhones so would it work if I connected both via the usbs?

Thanks for the response, unfortunately I don’t have phone box on my car which is a shame.

Both my phones are iPhones so would it work if I connected both via the usbs?

Ahhhhh if you don't have the tech pack, you may not have the option to connect two BT devices at once, I don't know.

That may also explain why you don't get a popup window for the parking sensors, as the MMI screen is smaller (7" versus 8.3")

Pretty sure mine has the 8.3” screen?

Need to try a few options when I have a minute

Well had a little play before and managed a work around as such.

I made my work phone the primary under Bluetooth and also have my own phone paired as well with Bluetooth switch on. Doesn’t connect both automatically but when you go into settings you can connect the second phone as the audio player.

It’s a bit clunky as it plays as a Bluetooth player rather than CarPlay and it means you can’t charge either phone as if you plug either in it activates CarPlay which is a pain.

Other funny thing I it kind of resolves thenother niggle at the same time as I can’t use car play anyway now

Ahh right, mine just disappears when I drive above a certain speed (in D). Something definitely not right in your case, because the front sensors should stay active after you put it in D, in case there's another object in front (for example when parallel parking)

Well, My new MY18 B9 RS4 has 2 USB connections. I connect iPhone to front one with CarPlay. A new iPod Touch to the one under the armrest which plays my music via Media button. Old MY17 A4 and MY16 RS3 both worked with older type connection to iPod via cable 4FO 051 510 AM Beware Older iPods appear not to work in MY18 B9.

Here’s a very quick video of me with CarPlay on then sticking it in reverse then putting it back into drive and it sends it to the main menu but won’t allow me to select CarPlay again?

In your video, if you look on the controls under the aircon, your car is still in parking mode.

Parking sensors override Apple CarPlay in my experience so this may be why.

Press the “P” and see what happens.

This will be done automatically if you were to move off and the system turns off the parking mode after a set speed.

Will do another one but still does the same either way. I’ve found a way around it by having bother phones collected via Bluetooth but it’s far more clunky than one connected via CarPlay and the other Bluetooth but you simple can’t do that

Also doesn’t the parking sensor light come on even if you are driving and engage them? Will have a look

Definitely doesn't behave like that with android auto, so must be an Apple thing. Not having any iDevices I can't test on mine.

AA never exits as yours does in the video, the popup for sensors comes on when reversing (or something gets too close to the front in D) and vanishes again when you go above about 10mph in D (or you press the "back" button on the MMI)

Parking sensors override Apple CarPlay in my experience so this may be why.

They don't override AA - see my photo above. The AA music reduces in volume to accommodate the beeps in fact.

I think this is probably an Apple issue rather than an Audi issue given this fact.