Killieboy

Reaction score
evening, just traded in my mk6 golf gti for 15 plate s3. Before the golf I had mk2 tt ( which my brother still owns). It was a dream to drive and always wanted back to Audi. The golf was a nice enough car but just never had the finish of Audi. Always enjoyed the golf and tt forum so wanted to sign up.

Anyway, I spotted a S3 sepang blue 250 miles away with a load of options ( pano sunroof, cruise, bang olefson,light package, black inlays, fold mirrors , super sport seats and parking sensors with camera). Couldn't resist so got a good price for the golf (almost 10k for a 2011 plate 3 door) and traded the old girl in after 4 years and 7.5k of depreciation ( not too bad I thought) .

S3 drives like a dream having only covered 16k. Body work in great nick and interior really immaculate.

So I have a few qu's / points:

1) Front window washer -6 jets rather than fan spray type on golf which I though looked more "premium" - had a look on search would i need to wire in any heated jets or just pop in?

2) on acceleration ( doesn't need to be heavy ) I get a slight metallic rasping ( sounds like a constant stream of same dropping on an empty tin can) - I have Audi warranty for another month so want to be certain nothing sinister
3)Usb - no socket that I can see so do I need a lightning Ami cable for iPhone 6s?again on seach i see a lot of chat about a certain yellow cable?

4)no foot rest like tt for when on cruise control - my foot feels like a spare part with nowhere to go!

5) super sport seats - on the TT I used glipton leather conditioner - would u folks recommend this or any other secrets?
6) wax for seppang blue? Always been a fan of poorboys or dodo juice but willing to try anthing recommended
7) other good products for this car?
8) anything I should look out for on last month of warranty. ( not too mechanically minded lol)

Sorry for all the questions I will read through the search option over next few weeks.

Reactions: BigBill and Audi Bairn
Not sure about the jets, sorry.

S3s are known for the waste gate rattle which sounds very tinny.

Should be USB sockets in the arm rest? Not sure when Audi put these into the S3 but mine has it (MY17)

Have a foot rest on my 2017 and I think the pre facelift had them too, maybe missing part?

PS, is your username relative to where you live, a certain wee town in the East of Ayrshire?

I don't think the earlier cars had a USB in the armrest (mine hasn't). Just AMI socket. You can get an AMI > lightning cable, or a AMI > USB cable.

Wax for sepang dodo juice purple haze or dodo juice futor armor it has more endurance than purple haze buts it's Nano Sealant so apply this after the purple haze mate

Last edited:
Not sure about the jets, sorry.

S3s are known for the waste gate rattle which sounds very tinny.

Should be USB sockets in the arm rest? Not sure when Audi put these into the S3 but mine has it (MY17)

Have a foot rest on my 2017 and I think the pre facelift had them too, maybe missing part?

PS, is your username relative to where you live, a certain wee town in the East of Ayrshire?

Thanks for infor on waste gate, will do a bit of searching. I have a footrest to the left but not next to accelerator peddle like the att had which was handy on long journeys.

Yeah I am a mad Kilmarnock fan for my sins. I actually stay in Mauchline south of Killie.

Reactions: Leevr, Dunedin and Sandra
Wax for sepang dodo juice purple haze or dodo juice futor armor it has more endurance than purple haze buts it's Nano Sealant so apply this after the purple haze mate

Many thanks will get it ordered for when the first warm/dry day comes ( could be waiting some time)

Reactions: Jassyo06
Many thanks will get it ordered for when the first warm/dry day comes ( could be waiting some time)
Yes it could be as we have lots of snow.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
OK, Killieboy, but suggest you first double check with your Audi dealer to make sure this is the correct part number for your vehicle, as there are different coloured cables. If these are the correct ones, then if you can send me a private message, (by clicking on my user name), with your email address, then I'll send you payment details.

Cheers, Allan

Reactions: Killieboy
Welcome to the forum Killieboy, I use Glipton in my Sline and find it easy to use with good results.
Any pics of your car?
Sounds like a good spec you've found.

No pics yet but hope to get some once she is clean!
I’m not very mechanically minded so don’t plan any overhauls but love giving the car a good detail every spring.
Still have glipton in the cupboard. Just love the smell of it for a few weeks once it’s done.

Reactions: Dunedin

1) Front window washer -6 jets rather than fan spray type on golf which I though looked more "premium" - had a look on search would i need to wire in any heated jets or just pop in? I don't know the answer to this.

2) on acceleration ( doesn't need to be heavy ) I get a slight metallic rasping ( sounds like a constant stream of same dropping on an empty tin can) - I have Audi warranty for another month so want to be certain nothing sinister - Take it to Audi for a 100% answer and to make sure its flagged on their system as an enquiry BEFORE the warranty runs out. If this problem occurs shortly after the warranty runs out you can argue that they delayed repair to get it out of warranty.

3)Usb - no socket that I can see so do I need a lightning Ami cable for iPhone 6s? USB socket is in the armrest.

4)no foot rest like tt for when on cruise control - my foot feels like a spare part with nowhere to go! Put your foot back on the accelerator and go faster then :)

5) super sport seats - on the TT I used glipton leather conditioner - would u folks recommend this or any other secrets?
Hot towels to get creases out and then use leather conditioner to soften. Gliptone is wildly regarded, another company is Leather Repair Company.

6) wax for sepang blue? Always been a fan of poorboys or dodo juice but willing to try anything recommended - Collonite 476 for durability and a very wet, deep shine. Dodo Juice Blue Velvet if you want a mid range wax that will accentuate the colour and fill light marks. If you want to go all out then Swissvax Best of Show wax. My recommendation would be to fully decontaminate, polish and get the prep/paint perfect, then sealant shouldn't matter. The prep is the biggest factor to shine, getting the paint flattened and jewelled before sealing.

7) other good products for this car? Talking detailing? Citrus Pre-wash, Bilt Hamber auto-foam, Bilt Hamber clay bars, Iron remover, Tar and glue remover, Menzerna polishes, pads and a DA Machine. The above will get your car looking better than new.

8) anything I should look out for on last month of warranty. ( not too mechanically minded lol)
Haldex pump, full lock and turning shouldn't produce any clicking/knocking, if it does the Haldex is shot.
Also do a launch control, if you get alot of wheelspin in decent weather, your Haldex could be shot.

Sorry for all the questions I will read through the search option over next few weeks.

Answers in red above.

Car cleaned, decontaminated, polish and wax not yet applied.
No filters used, photo taken on a rubbish Samsung J5 with no special camera, lenses or filters.

Wet look enough?

Attachments

• 20171014_160619_50.jpg
    20171014_160619_50.jpg
    576.1 KB · Views: 154
Welcome @Killieboy :sign welcome:
As a cleaning regime, I'm now using the Citrus Pre-Wash / Karcher / Snow Foam / Karcher / Fireball Easycoat / Karcher method if that's any use.

Car cleaned, decontaminated, polish and wax not yet applied.
No filters used, photo taken on a rubbish Samsung J5 with no special camera, lenses or filters.

Wet look enough?

wow, love the facelift with black pack. really suits the car and colour.

Thanks for infor on waste gate, will do a bit of searching. I have a footrest to the left but not next to accelerator peddle like the att had which was handy on long journeys.

Yeah I am a mad Kilmarnock fan for my sins. I actually stay in Mauchline south of Killie.

Cool :) I'm from Kilmarnock myself.

2) Metallic tin rattle is normal, you don't hear it when you get used to it
3) I cant remember if the USB was an accessory option, I don't have one I've got the AMI cable for charging

5) Not really any need to condition modern leather seats, clean with gliptons cleaner then protect with nannolex leather and fabrix sealant
6) Got victorias conture show wax on at the moment (few pics below) which I really like
7) For products, zaino z8 detailer, sonax BSD detailer (although use more as a sealant after a wash) Bilt hamber snow foam is really good.
8) Warranty issues to look for, haldex pump issues, top mounts for suspension.

Attachments

• IMG_9722.JPG
    IMG_9722.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_9734.JPG
    IMG_9734.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_9953.JPG
    IMG_9953.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: Audi Bairn
finally managed a quick wash with baby shampoo and a spray of demon shine. will wait until the better weather for a detail and wax. really impressed with bodywork on a 3 year old car. somebody has looked after her. I do hate th. sticky black stuff they use to tart up the engine bay.

now done circa 500 miles and getting used to the feel of the light steering (aprt from in dynamic mode). Twice I have understeer on roundabouts where road is greasy and im going relatively slow.

Attachments

• car1.png
    car1.png
    1 MB · Views: 149
  • car3.png
    car3.png
    568.3 KB · Views: 130
  • car4.png
    car4.png
    909.3 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: Leevr, Sandra, Dunedin and 4 others
finally managed a quick wash with baby shampoo and a spray of demon shine. will wait until the better weather for a detail and wax. really impressed with bodywork on a 3 year old car. somebody has looked after her. I do hate th. sticky black stuff they use to tart up the engine bay.

now done circa 500 miles and getting used to the feel of the light steering (aprt from in dynamic mode). Twice I have understeer on roundabouts where road is greasy and im going relatively slow.

As in this???
a8f7b52846140c96b7e514e11cb7aa5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sandra and Audi Bairn
Yeah, always used baby shampoo since a dude told me years ago. Always liked it

Reactions: BarryG79 and Sandra
Yeah, always used baby shampoo since a dude told me years ago. Always liked it
I have heard many people say it was good but thought they was having a laugh. Your car looks squeaky clean and I bet the paint work feels ever so smooth. :)

Reactions: Dunedin, BarryG79 and Audi Bairn