New brake calipers, need help.

8PBE

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum and to audi and cars in general. I just picked up a 2011 (61) Black Edition A3 Sportback (138 Hp).

I'm wanting to get some new brake calipers as the ones it came with aren't exactly the prettiest, but I have no idea what it is I need to look for to make sure they will fit properly as this is my first nice car and have never bought any after market products for my previous cars.
So my question is what is it I should be looking for, how will I know what will fit and work correctly.

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place.

First of all, this is not a job for a person who is totally new to working on cars as there are many safety implications working on brakes. Also brake fluid will damage your paintwork very quickly if it spills.

However, you may be experienced or know someone who is.

We changed the front callipers on a TT recently. The originals will be similar to your car.
As a direct fit with a noticeable improvement in stopping power the callipers from a TTS, S3, R32 and a Golf 6R are a direct fit providing you use the relevant calliper carriers as well. You will also need the flexible brake lines for the callipers as well.
All of these callipers will work with the 340mm discs from a TTS and TTS pads. We used Brembo discs and pads.
The callipers in the photo were bought 2nd hand from AKS tuning. The condition was pretty good and just needed touching up where they were scratched. I ressprayed the spring clips and bought the S logo from Ebay. The springs are difficult to install and need 2 people ideally to stop them jumping out as you try to install them. The brakes will need bleeding afterwards.
You may prefer to have new parts and have them fitted professionally and so AKS could help you as they sell complete brake kits too.

4DF5C526 5510 4BE0 A008 A0C1BA03733A
70EA1236 9513 4A96 B72C 3F1E30E6BD91

First of all, this is not a job for a person who is totally new to working on cars as there are many safety implications working on brakes. Also brake fluid will damage your paintwork very quickly if it spills.

However, you may be experienced or know someone who is.

We changed the front callipers on a TT recently. The originals will be similar to your car.
As a direct fit with a noticeable improvement in stopping power the callipers from a TTS, S3, R32 and a Golf 6R are a direct fit providing you use the relevant calliper carriers as well. You will also need the flexible brake lines for the callipers as well.
All of these callipers will work with the 340mm discs from a TTS and TTS pads. We used Brembo discs and pads.
The callipers in the photo were bought 2nd hand from AKS tuning. The condition was pretty good and just needed touching up where they were scratched. I ressprayed the spring clips and bought the S logo from Ebay. The springs are difficult to install and need 2 people ideally to stop them jumping out as you try to install them. The brakes will need bleeding afterwards.
You may prefer to have new parts and have them fitted professionally and so AKS could help you as they sell complete brake kits too.

View attachment 191772 View attachment 191773
Thanks for the reply, should have mentioned I'm not going to be doing the work myself on this exactly the reasons you stated. Thanks for the info mate will look into what you've mentioned.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Why not refurb/paint your existing calipers?
I was debating that but they aren't the nicest looking calipers, not sure how much a lick of paint would improve them, if anyone has a picture of the what tye standard calipers look like repainted I may change my mind.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: samuelh_888
Have a go at refurbishing them yourself.

When I did my A4 I Left them on the car so no need to break the pipes. I removed the disc to give more access to get the brush in and after a quick wizz with the wire brush gave them a couple of coats of paint. Hammerite works fine in my experience.

Wash them first with some of that iron out stuff will help too. Then brake cleaner before the paint goes on.

Your money would be better spent elsewhere. For the brakes, remove the pads and carriers, give them a wash and brush up, paint them and fit new pads, brake fluid. I’m all for performance and reliability, save the money for future repairs, there will be some.