New B8 3.0tdi owner

Natebrand1987

Reaction score
Had Saab's for years ... Got a 1.9 to 300hp but time for pastures new and I've bought a lovely rare example

3.0tdi Quattro Sline manual

Engine is sweet as a nut can't really seem to find any majors issues online regarding common faults and this one seems like a seeing machine so I'm happy

I'm looking at a map straight away flaps off egr off dpf off

Is there anything else that needs doing on the map for this engine ??

Is there anything else I need to do to it being a new owner ?

I'm the 3nd owner and its been a company car since new

Any help and advice is welcome

Thanks

Hi Welcome to Audi-Sport.net. Great choice of car, I would say that though because it's what I have :) .
You won't have to work too hard to get 300bhp out of it with a map and the DPF gone it will be over that and you won't be scrabbling for grip from the front wheels :) .
Don't know whether you have spotted Bobby Singh's build thread, He was well known for his Golf build and now has a slightly bonkers 3.0 TDI.
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/bobby-singh-a4-3-0-tdi-build-thread.248899/
I have a build thread for my car linked in my signature.

Karl.

Reactions: Chop., xpoweruk and Sandra
indeed it was alot of work and money that had to be done my self custom too as none had ever pushed that 1.9 derv lump to anywhere near that until i did tuning companies laughed at me at first until it was done then they all wanted to know how ....

moving to 3l i have 2 more cylinders to play with and an extra litre of capacity.

getting it mapped i have already messaged a friend to see what files he has available for them ... the main thing is getting the derv nature warrior gear off it first then go from there... i can get files dirt cheap so mapping it again if i decide to go for big numbers down the line wont be an issue..

ill take a look at the various threads you have suggested and see what people get upto with these ..

my first mod i believe will be the rs4 grill, they look good.

any other worth while initial mods worth doing ??

something i forget vagcom ? with the canbus and the edc17 do i need a hex-can cable ??

ive just been reading the power threads on here and wow power seems so easy on these.... stock fueling good to high 300-400hp ish ? thats mad ...

thanks jdp ill hit him up

At that price, it's very likely to be non-genuine. The real thing is more like £270, but @NHN will confirm exact price.

That's not a genuine lead, It's a Chinese copy. You can always tell as they state the software level. genuine leads are not locked to a particular level of software.

Free up the exhaust too, you wont believe the sound these engines make when unrestricted!

Reactions: DaniBoy
Bobby Singh & desertstorm have some brutal oilburners.
These guys know how to build an amazing diesel power monster.

Reactions: Chop.
Hi and welcome - they are nice cars and generally major problem free.
They do go well with just a remap - for the stock turbo the dpf isn't really a issue so you could leave that in place.

Cheers

Mines suprisingly quiet inside the car, from the outside its a different story! The car in the video has a supersprint exhaust...id guess £1000 plus for full system with dpf delete pipe..

I've had a dpf and egr delete done along with a remap but apart from loads of extra power, the car sounds the same.!!!!
Might get a quote from a local exhaust company for a custom system

Reactions: Meemo
yeah id need to keep it quiet. as many straight through silencers as needed.....

i want the dpf out and flaps and egr to make it more reliable ...

can i just remove the flaps and leave the actuator plugged in and the ecu wont know any different like my previous car ??

same for the butterfly valve in the airbox ??

obvs the egr needs to be deleted from the map as if i blank that the egr vs maf map will know the maf isnt being backed out from the extra flow from the egr over time this will throw a code

yes i want to remove the flaps can the actuator also be deleted from the ecu also or does it need to be still plugged in electronically ?!?

its a beauty of an exhaust but i think it may be too loud for me :(

No if you look at my build thread you'll see i removed flap motors and egr completely.
Anything you disconnect will trigger many dtc's.

yes im aware of the dtcs that will appear... what im saying is you must have deleted them from the ecu map to stop the dtc appearing yes ??

has anyone fitted a vklr to these engines ?? i have a 2566vklr sat in the garage from my old build its ballbearing and watercooled it happily ran 45psi to 6k rpm ... im obvs aware thats not possible on a 3.0 but it flows some serious air and spool up was 2.5k even on a 1.9 ..... 45psi by 2.9k

1936365_532500083624991_188728660376712850_n.jpg

right ok so who writes files for these engines then as i have very basic skill at edc15 and 16 and winols .... edc17 is alot more complex

Yep it sure is.
Over 20k labels :)
I write my own files.
As for the bb unit. Its been vac converted so not much use on the 3.0tdi in its current state.

yes im aware i converted it my self .... since it started live very similar to the vk control wise you could possibly use the 2260 housing as long as the vnt cage will fit then connect the electronic actuator up .. the vacuum is only a bracket i made... something ill think about in the future if not ill just hybrid my current turbo to a 66plus tips to 70 exducer with a 49.5 inducer of something

yes indeed you must be a genius i have tried to learn to map properly but i just dont have the time to devote to learn it properly my job takes up alot of time

Last edited:
The quality is good on those I bought one however it's not currently on the car. The standard size of downpipe on the car is 63mm so 2.5 inch.
If you are going to upgrade to a 3 inch system then maybe go for the 3 inch downpipe.
I am running a hollowed out DPF / CAT box and standard size exhaust system pipes.
You need to make sure you get the correct part as there are long and short versions depending on how old your car is and the turbo flange spacing is different depending on how new your car is. The one you linked to is the new turbo bolt pattern.

Thanks for the heads up ill have to try and find out which one ill need not picking the car up until Wednesday so i will have a look when i get it...

my car is an early 08 year car is that any help to find out which one ill need i was aware of the long and the short ones but not the flange patterns so thanks for letting me know

nice one thanks as soon as i get the car i will double check fitment and buy which one i need ... think ill go for the 3" ....

am i also correct in thinking the earlier engines had the better fuel pump as its higher flow ??

If you have a cp1 pump - fitted to capa engine then you'll be fine to fuel a hybrid. If you have a CP4 then I would anything more than 90mg you'll get rail pressure drop - I had this with a stock 2260 in the mid range but it's be the same case at 4k.

i have just rang audi up and they confirm i have a CAPA engine code :) im very happy at the minute