New Audi S3 FL Dash Buzz

MattC38

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping for some advice, sorry for the long thread. My S3 is just under two months old and yesterday morning driving in to work it developed a really annoying buzzing sound.

I was on a call when I first noticed it so just assumed it was a dodgy line but after the call ended and the radio came back on the noise was still there, muting the radio didn’t affect it, it’s not mega loud but even with music on you can still hear it.

It sounds like buzzing but it could be something vibrating/resonating so quickly that it’s actually a small rattle that sounds like a buzzing, if that makes sense?

The noise appears regardless of speed at around 2100-2200 rpm and I guess is something affected by the resonance of the engine or exhaust at this rev range. This doesn’t happen at all when the car is cold, it comes in after 15-20 mins of driving.

I’ve done the obvious like removing everything from the car, glove box, cup holders, doors etc. I’ve retracted the MMI screen, tried pressing on the clear plastic dash window (in front of speedo/DIS), moved/held vents, and nothing seems to affect it. It sounds like it’s near the front of the dash in the centre, behind the vents/under the MMI screen but these noises tend to play tricks on you!

Might be something important but this noise only seems to appear in manual/sport in dynamic mode, normal ‘drive’ doesn’t cause this (resonance related?).

The only thing I could find on the net that looked relevant was from the TT forums where someone said this could be a faulty soundaktor.

My questions are:

1) Is this something obvious to the more knowledgable or maybe someone has come across this on a new 8V S3?

2) If I try disabling the soundaktor with Carista and that doesn’t fix it, would there be any warranty issue with me having used Carista? Can the dealership tell you’ve used it? Are they bothered?

Any advice appreciated, other than that loving the car!

Cheers

So when the 8v was released, it was reported on the 1.4 tfsi engine and some others (including myself) was getting a rattling noise from the engine if you slowly creep between 2100k and 2200k.

What you've described and mentioned the revs is only linking our issue but im not sure if this issue was fully fixed in the later models. I can't find the original thread describing the symptoms as its going back 2013 but look for a search to see if your signs relate to this engine rattle.

Its all to do with the turbo linkage which was replaced but I still have this issue on my car :(

Its all to do with the turbo linkage which was replaced but I still have this issue on my car :(

Yes mate I did come across those old threads, I think it was something to do with the wastegate actuator? To be honest I didn’t think that would be my problem as it was such an old issue, thought they would have fixed it by now!

Not sure if that would cause the buzz/hum near the centre dash vents although could be possible thinking about the turbo location.

How come yours didn’t get fixed? Not sure I could live with this long term, it’s really annoying!

That buzzing sound could be coming from the Soundakator ( the engine noise module ), as you state that it is only present in dynamic and sport mode which accentuate the engine noise effect. I had that buzzing noise also at about the same millage in dynamic mode after hitting a pothole, it went away by itself after about a week.

Reactions: josul and Jassyo06
Yep as the flying Scotsman says, it’s the soundaktor ( sound simulator top centre of the dash), I used my Carista OBDeleven Bluetooth device & turned it off then back on again, not rattled since & that was 6months ago.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Mine does exactly the same, only in dynamic sport and at the same rev range. It’s intermittent and annoying.

I had it too but at around 3k revs, Audi fitted a new one which still did it on the way home :tearsofjoy:

As others have said though, it's intermittent. I haven't heard it for a while now.

I had this problem when I got my new S3, it turned out to be the air duct tubeing within the dash. It was the one that is static (not the circle shaped one) and points to the drivers side window. So Audi put foam tape around the tube on both sides and the rattle was gone.

Thanks for the replies guys, think I will have to take it in as it seems to be getting worse, today its louder and is present from a wider rev range (1,800-3,300), maybe something has just worked loose and needs re-tightening or padding.

I may have the issue @carnutter mentions as I’ve now had more time to listen to the noise it does actually sound like something plastic rattling together really quickly, so quickly that it sounds like a low frequency buzz or hum, and it’s definitely coming from the centre vent area, very irritating!

I ‘m not sure it is the soundaktor as this morning I turned it down using Carista and there was no change to the noise, unless the soundaktor is loose and is rattling.

Think I’ll get it booked in and let them take a look.

Any resolution to this? Noticed if I put mine in manual I have a buzz between 2-3000rpm regardless of gear. Very annoying

I had this problem when I got my new S3, it turned out to be the air duct tubeing within the dash. It was the one that is static (not the circle shaped one) and points to the drivers side window. So Audi put foam tape around the tube on both sides and the rattle was gone.

Mine does something similar but am pretty sure it’s the silver ‘dial’ to open/close the vent by the drivers window. It’s definitely resonating from the exhaust as only in certain rev range and engine load.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice, sorry for the long thread. My S3 is just under two months old and yesterday morning driving in to work it developed a really annoying buzzing sound.

I was on a call when I first noticed it so just assumed it was a dodgy line but after the call ended and the radio came back on the noise was still there, muting the radio didn’t affect it, it’s not mega loud but even with music on you can still hear it.

It sounds like buzzing but it could be something vibrating/resonating so quickly that it’s actually a small rattle that sounds like a buzzing, if that makes sense?

The noise appears regardless of speed at around 2100-2200 rpm and I guess is something affected by the resonance of the engine or exhaust at this rev range. This doesn’t happen at all when the car is cold, it comes in after 15-20 mins of driving.

I’ve done the obvious like removing everything from the car, glove box, cup holders, doors etc. I’ve retracted the MMI screen, tried pressing on the clear plastic dash window (in front of speedo/DIS), moved/held vents, and nothing seems to affect it. It sounds like it’s near the front of the dash in the centre, behind the vents/under the MMI screen but these noises tend to play tricks on you!

Might be something important but this noise only seems to appear in manual/sport in dynamic mode, normal ‘drive’ doesn’t cause this (resonance related?).

The only thing I could find on the net that looked relevant was from the TT forums where someone said this could be a faulty soundaktor.

My questions are:

1) Is this something obvious to the more knowledgable or maybe someone has come across this on a new 8V S3?

2) If I try disabling the soundaktor with Carista and that doesn’t fix it, would there be any warranty issue with me having used Carista? Can the dealership tell you’ve used it? Are they bothered?

Any advice appreciated, other than that loving the car!

Cheers

I had this exact issue - it was the fuel line vibrating against the bulkhead. I took an Audi tech out in my car and we listened to it - as you say, only happens in 'S' or Manual mode.

I’ve got what I suspect is the exact same noise.

It rattles at roughly the same revs but does it no matter what mode the gearbox is in?

I don’t think it’s the soundaktor. Is their away to check if it’s the air duct line without it going to Audi and/or taking loads of the dash off?

Anyone know how long it takes audi to fix this fuel line buzz ? Can it be done from the engine bay or is actually a dashboard out job ?

Did the OP resolve this? What was the issue? Also getting this buzz from the dash in dynamic mode and its driving me insane. S3 3 months old

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Can you share more details? Did they have to strip the dash or went via the air vents? What is the static duct you are referring to? Sorry for the questions.. having the same buzz from the dash issue.

I had this exact buzzing issue since I picked up my car in August 2018 and I took it in to Audi Milton Keynes and Audi Hitchin a few times. They finally fixed it at Audi MK the last time I took it in (it was with them for three weeks just this month). The guys there - Ben Puttick dealt with my case - were great and finally heard the noise when one of the tech team drove the car home for a few evenings, as they weren't hearing it at first, despite it occurring on every journey for me.

I recorded the sound a few times over the last year, since I bought the car, and this was one of the example journeys:

The Audi MK master tech taped up a lot of stuff behind the dash and put in quite a bit of foam to stop things vibrating against each other and, having had the car back a week now, the buzzing has gone completely.

@winrya / @Dave_808 - if you're anywhere near Milton Keynes and can wait for them to provide a courtesy car, ask to speak to Ben Puttick and let them know you have the same issue as I did (mention Will Boston's car as he'll know it as it was only the 5th of August when I took it in) and they should know what to do.

Just want to report back that I seemed to have fixed the issue after months of the buzzing driving me insane.

I pulled out all three round vents on the drivers side because the buzzing was coming from somewhere between these 3 vents on the dash. On the vents themselves, there are these plastic sprockets/gears used to open and close the vents. They looked like they could vibrate so I tucked two way tape under each sprocket and used the tape to cover the plastic bits that the sprocket leans against when closed and open. I left the outer piece of the two way tape sealed as in, did not peel off the covering and did not expose the outer sticky surface.

Also when you look into the vent holes on the dash with vents removed, you will see a metal bar. Seemed like it could vibrate against the plastic vent so I pushed them backwards using my fingers. They bend easily.

Not sure which of these two fixes worked but my buzzing is gone. Two weeks now to date and no buzzing at all. The buzzing noise was never intermittent, it was always there between 2500 and 3800rpm but only after the car reached operating temps. So this is actually the first time I'm dash buzz free since I bought the car new in April. So relieved I didnt have to get Audi to strip my dash, it was really driving me insane.

Hope this helps others in a similar situation

Reactions: winrya
Sorry but does the Soundakator simulate an engine note inside the car like the Focus ST does? If so I wonder if it can be enabled on any A3 ?

Soundakator is as mentioned the most likely but the OBD port is a poor fit too below where the drivers Right knee is when driving and can rattle. worth a mention.

Sorry but does the Soundakator simulate an engine note inside the car like the Focus ST does? If so I wonder if it can be enabled on any A3 ?
Yes the s3 and rs3's have them but not sure about other A3s.

Soundakator is as mentioned the most likely but the OBD port is a poor fit too below where the drivers Right knee is when driving and can rattle. worth a mention.
My buzzing issue was mid dash, somewhere either side of the steering. I thought it was the Soundaktor but after the vent mods the buzz is gone.

Just want to report back that I seemed to have fixed the issue after months of the buzzing driving me insane.

I pulled out all three round vents on the drivers side because the buzzing was coming from somewhere between these 3 vents on the dash. On the vents themselves, there are these plastic sprockets/gears used to open and close the vents. They looked like they could vibrate so I tucked two way tape under each sprocket and used the tape to cover the plastic bits that the sprocket leans against when closed and open. I left the outer piece of the two way tape sealed as in, did not peel off the covering and did not expose the outer sticky surface.

Also when you look into the vent holes on the dash with vents removed, you will see a metal bar. Seemed like it could vibrate against the plastic vent so I pushed them backwards using my fingers. They bend easily.

Not sure which of these two fixes worked but my buzzing is gone. Two weeks now to date and no buzzing at all. The buzzing noise was never intermittent, it was always there between 2500 and 3800rpm but only after the car reached operating temps. So this is actually the first time I'm dash buzz free since I bought the car new in April. So relieved I didnt have to get Audi to strip my dash, it was really driving me insane.

Hope this helps others in a similar situation

could I ask how you removed the vents? I will give this a go the weekend

@ winrya, I just used my hands. Start by edging out one side and repeat on the other. Keep wiggling it out. Let us know if it worked for you!

@Craig, check a few posts up. Used some two way tape to stop the vent opening gears from vibrating and bent the the metal bar in the vent hole backwards. Vent mod is probably a stupid term, sorry

I just fixed mine which was coming from near within the dash near the round drivers vent. It occurred between about 2300 and 2700 rpm and would occur in either dynamic or auto.

If you pull out the vent you will see a square plastic tube that feeds the air to the vent. This is thin walled and rests against the metal of the dash. This is what I think causes the vibration.

I put a thin piece of adhesive rubber between it and the metal bracket on the dash. There is also stick on foam around the dash vent but there is a 10-15mm gap in this. Which could be making contact with the square inlet tube. So, I placed another piece of foam onto the air vent to fill in the gap.

Did a reinstall of the vent (pushed in back in) and went for a drive. No more noise.

Dealer on their one and only attempt to fix it said it was a fuse box cover. They must have got the one time it was quiet.