My latest knocking noise

I caved, had to book my golf in for an mot so got the garage to check the audi over.

As suspected, they couldn't see anything that would 100% be the cause, and 'of course' it never knocked when they drove it around the yard! so looks like i need to wait for it to get worse. damn.
They did notice that the rubbers on the upper arms on one side are showing their age, but didn't have any significant play in the joints. (I did notice the rubbers starting to look a bit old when I looked over it, 'burys head in the sand' at the cost of replacing them!)

At least I have a bit more peace of mind knowing someone more mechanical than me has had a look around & not seen anything about to drop.

I would have guessed anti-roll bar bushes. Often quite difficult to gauge on the car as you cannot put the same forces on the anti-roll bar in a static inspection. Sometimes you get a clue if the visual sides show signs of cracking/perishing or have deformed slightly showing an irregular bulge. Basically they become hard with age and shrink slightly. Purple Powerflex are a nice upgrade but as polyurethane is a bit stiffer they can be slightly harder to compress sufficiently to get under the clamps.

Reactions: norris_309
I do have those bushes, which I bought a year or so ago & never fitted (as I found the cause was arb link) so I should just replace them anyway, something else ruled out of nothing else.

They look like they should be straight forward to replace?.. undertray off, couple of nuts on each to remove & refit...

Just wondering, do I unbolt & change one at a time or will there not be enough clearance/movement & need to undo both?... undoing both, if jacked up with wheels hanging, will the bar flick down with force when undone?..
Then I guess i'd need to lower the car onto wheels to tighten fully like with the arms/arb links.