My BAM Repairs and Mods

ok thanks, I see the grub screw hole now, so it's tight fit but with a retaining screw in the groove and some firex or similar sealant - thanks

Thanks for the above guys will be useful when I get round to fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replacing my coolant pipes as one is leaking and have purchased a silicon kit.

Just wondering can the clamps from the existing pipes be used or are JCS Hi-Grips required?

JCS HI-Grips all the way mate. Or similar marine grade stainless steel jubilee

Awesome thanks guys

Does anyone know how much the v2.2 tip needs to be trimmed from which end so there’s no kink when fitting to oem airbox please?

Thanks

Tuffty you were spot on mate a new MAF from Audi and all sorted.

Thanks mate really appreciate it.

Reactions: <tuffty/>
This really is turning into my repair thread.

On the motorway doing about 60 in 6th put my foot down and the car stopped accelerating. Think the revs jumped backwards but can’t honestly remember will try it again and pay notice.

Thought the clutch was on its way out so parked up (not on the motorway ) handbrake up tight, 5th gear, revs up at 3.5-4K and slowly came off the clutch. Car started rolling forward and eventually stalled.

In a nutshell, what I’m asking is, clutch time?

This really is turning into my repair thread.

On the motorway doing about 60 in 6th put my foot down and the car stopped accelerating. Think the revs jumped backwards but can’t honestly remember will try it again and pay notice.

Thought the clutch was on its way out so parked up (not on the motorway ) handbrake up tight, 5th gear, revs up at 3.5-4K and slowly came off the clutch. Car started rolling forward and eventually stalled.

In a nutshell, what I’m asking is, clutch time?

The revs would rise rapidly with little acceleration if the clutch was on its way out

Would it be early symptoms if the clutch only slips in 6th at the moment?

it doesn't sound like the clutch is slipping, if it was the revs go around to the red line and you physically stop accelerating just making a lot of noise, revs jumping around sounds more like a misfire.

I too am not convinced the clutch is slipping. I had mechanic take a look he drove it in first and second and he said if it was slipping significant enough to warrant changing he would have felt it.

Onto the next investigation then, with the badger 5 tip, pipewerx downpipe and decat and a FMIC could I be causing turbo surge? Do I need to get a remap tweak to accommodate the mods?

On the other hand my billet on the tip was spinning on the turbo could that mean I’m suffering a boost leak as it’s not secured down?

I’ll also need to check at the FMIC to ensure I’m not suffering a boost leak at that end.

Thanks guys

Do I need to rename this thread to...

FMIC (and the ongoing saga of S3 ownership) Help Please

:)

<tuffty/>

Can’t agree more mate

Recorded the behaviour, would you chaps mind watching the seven second video and providing your opinion on if this is clutch slip please?

Thanks

Looks like a slipping clutch to me. What gear were you in?

Have you tried putting it into 2nd while stationary with the handbrake on and letting the clutch out to see if it slips or bites? Does it do it in all gears or just 3rd, and does it do it only between that rev range?

I’ll give the second gear test a go tomorrow mate I tried it in 5th last week and car rolled a fair bit before stalling.

Initially was only doing it in 6th last week,now all gears third upwards.

It’s only when I hammer it though car does seem underpowered in all gears, could that be because of the slipping clutch? Or could all this be because of a boost leak somewhere?

I’ll give the second gear test a go tomorrow mate I tried it in 5th last week and car rolled a fair bit before stalling.

Initially was only doing it in 6th last week,now all gears third upwards.

It’s only when I hammer it though car does seem underpowered in all gears, could that be because of the slipping clutch? Or could all this be because of a boost leak somewhere?

Yeah give that a go and let us know what happens, if it’s progressingly getting worse like you say it is, from 6th gear and now down to 3rd. I suspect slipping clutch. Give it a few more weeks and you won’t be able to pull off in 1st. I’ve experienced something the same in a car of mine many years ago and that was the cause.

Thanks for all your help mate.

Just researching on clutches and flywheel kits do if anyone has any recommendations please let me know and as always thanks gents

Ok so was stationary handbrake up tight and slowly released clutch. It was tightening up felt like car was going to stall but then didn’t and started rolling.

Clutch time?

Ok so was stationary handbrake up tight and slowly released clutch. It was tightening up felt like car was going to stall but then didn’t and started rolling.

Clutch time?

When you say, started rolling... do you mean you released the handbrake? You should keep the handbrake on when testing it mate. As you release the clutch pedal the back end of the car will dip down while it’s biting on the clutch. When it slips the revs will increase and the back will raise to normal height. If that makes sense?

Kept the handbrake on but didn’t pay notice to the rear height will need to try again. Sorry mate will update again later today.

Tried again didn’t massively notice back end drop but revs didn’t rise at all as I slowly released clutch and car eventually stalled.

Does this help mate?

Hmmmmmm, well clutch is biting enough to stall the car. Did you rev the engine while releasing the clutch? Not sure what else to suggest really. That’s generally the test of clutch slippage, unless anyone else has any ideas. Have you tried other things like unplugging the MAF sensor and seeing how it runs, etc.

Strange isn’t it. I replaced the MAF for a genuine one from dealer only a few weeks ago but will try unplugging it and testing.

Could it be now the badger5 tip and FMIC are pulling through a lot more air and so I need a new remap to accommodate for this additional air into the turbo?

Only seems to happen on boost (around 3-3.5k revs and over).

This hand brake thing is really not a good way of testing, anyone can force a clutch to slip when setting off from a standing start, that’s how they work.

The clutch will slip at full engagement, and under high load of it is worn. I.e. cruising in higher gears, low-med revs, full throttle.

Another way to think of it is when max torque comes in. Stock car ~3krpm, if your revs are rising around here in 3,4,5 gear, your clutch is slipping, it’s that simple.

Reactions: ADs3 and S3AMJ
Strange isn’t it. I replaced the MAF for a genuine one from dealer only a few weeks ago but will try unplugging it and testing.

Could it be now the badger5 tip and FMIC are pulling through a lot more air and so I need a new remap to accommodate for this additional air into the turbo?

Only seems to happen on boost (around 3-3.5k revs and over).

Interesting, I’ve recently done the same on my car. But unfortunately it’s off the road so I can test that theory. My MAF is knackered so I need to replace it. This has got me thinking so, seems like your clutch is biting. Weather it’s biting and then slipping and biting again or weather you’ve got something else wrong. Strange for it to rev up like it does though! Try unplugging the MAF sensor and seeing how it runs.... go from there, I’m out of ideas now I’m afraid! Nothing coming up on scans?

This hand brake thing is really not a good way of testing, anyone can force a clutch to slip when setting off from a standing start, that’s how they work.

The clutch will slip at full engagement, and under high load of it is worn. I.e. cruising in higher gears, low-med revs, full throttle.

Another way to think of it is when max torque comes in. Stock car ~3krpm, if your revs are rising around here in 3,4,5 gear, your clutch is slipping, it’s that simple.

It might not be the best way, but it’s one way. When a clutch is that bad it will slip this way with the handbrake. It obviously hasn’t got that bad yet. But like you say.... when more torque is been driven through then that’s it slipping. That and it getting progressively worse week by week.

Don't underestimate how much extra performance having a more freely flowing intake gives even on an unmapped car...

Its pretty normal to see clutches start to slip and coil packs die after mapping so not surprised if then extra you gain from this is highlighting what was something that was due to happen..

In other news... message me your thoughts on renaming this thread... I think we are beyond the FMIC issues now

Possible suggestions...
The harsh reality of owning an S3... a rollercoaster of a tale by Imz

At first I thought my FMIC was the problem now all this shizz has happened!

Why me?

...or something more suitable of course :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: hydro s3, superkarl, desertstorm and 1 other person
How about below?

FMIC IAT’s have left me freezing skint with all the shizz that followed

Doesn’t necessarily make sense but sound ok?