My A6 3.0TDi Avant bit of a rebuild and repair thread.

Here comes an update on the progress so far.
My A8 unit 4H0 035 670 P is apparently "unreadable" for Odis.
I have been to the shop two times, but they weren't able to remove the CP.
According to the mechanic it was like the gateway and mmi talked two different languages and weren't able to communicate. The could enter it and program it, but not remove the CP. I asked if it were a stolen item, since I bought it from ebay, but they didn't get any indication of that.

So I came across a unit sitting in a 2010 Q7 at a scrapyard.
Then I called the local dealer with the VIN to make sure it was a 3G+ unit in the car, and they could verify that it was 3G+ and not 3G.
The unit came today, and guess what; it was a 3G unit..
And since the original plan was to fit a 3G unit in the first place, I now have 2 3G units, one 3G+ unit I can't use and my old 2G unit sitting in a shelf.
The 3G+ units are hard to come by in Norway, and expensive to order from ebay, since I have to pay 25% tax on everything I buy from outside of the country.
I'm on the verge of giving up the whole thing and just use the 3G unit I originally planned on installing.

Sorry to highjack the thread with my ranting..

Here comes an update on the progress so far.
My A8 unit 4H0 035 670 P is apparently "unreadable" for Odis.
I have been to the shop two times, but they weren't able to remove the CP.
According to the mechanic it was like the gateway and mmi talked two different languages and weren't able to communicate. The could enter it and program it, but not remove the CP. I asked if it were a stolen item, since I bought it from ebay, but they didn't get any indication of that.

So I came across a unit sitting in a 2010 Q7 at a scrapyard.
Then I called the local dealer with the VIN to make sure it was a 3G+ unit in the car, and they could verify that it was 3G+ and not 3G.
The unit came today, and guess what; it was a 3G unit..
And since the original plan was to fit a 3G unit in the first place, I now have 2 3G units, one 3G+ unit I can't use and my old 2G unit sitting in a shelf.
The 3G+ units are hard to come by in Norway, and expensive to order from ebay, since I have to pay 25% tax on everything I buy from outside of the country.
I'm on the verge of giving up the whole thing and just use the 3G unit I originally planned on installing.

Sorry to highjack the thread with my ranting..
I'll send you the link to my old unit later today. I know that works and it's been unlocked by odis and it's 100% not stolen. Should be just about plug and play - a few green screen settings.

I appreciate it, but I may have sourced one in my local area, but it's from a 2012 A6. It should work, since it's been done before by someone in this thread.
But I have a question; is it really worth it having a unit with sim vs without?
What are the benefits on a C6?
I have been looking for one with sim, but they are rare. There are a few units without sim around the country.
I was hoping to get it working before next Wednesday, since I have reserved an appointment to remove CP at the shop.

Ok, another update from my eternal nighmare.
My local scrapyard had a MMI unit from a 2011 A6 C7 that I could test.
If I got it working, I could buy it, if not I could return it.
After installing the correct software the clock came immediately, and works fine. The rest of the menus are grey. I have tried many different options in the green menu; Carbusassignment and carmenuoperations, but nothing seems to work.
I have now tried 2 different MMI units, but both have grayed out menu.
One unit came from a 2014 A8 and the other from the 2011 A6 C7, both reprogrammed with newest HN+ software.
Could the problem be something else?

I have fitted a new 20-pin gateway
HW: 4F0 907 468 G
SW: 4F0 907 468 N, which should support 3G+

If I put a 3G unit in, everything work as it should. Air suspension and acc and everything else, but with the 3G+ unit nothing is working.

I innstalled the software again on the A8 unit, and got the green menu settings right, so now everything is working as it should. The same with the A6 unit, it works without any problems. Since I had an appointment with the shop today, I installed the A8 unit in the car, and put the A6 3G+ unit and my A6 3G unit in the car and said to the mechanic that if he couldn't remove the CP from the A8 unit, then he could try the A6 unit, and if that fails he could just remove the CP from the 3G unit, so that I have one working unit until I figure out what the issue with the 3G+ units are. Now i just got a call from the shop, and they are still not able go remove the CP.
They had tried both the 3G+ units and the 3G unit, and weren't able to remove it from any of them.

What can cause this? They claim the same error came, that the units don't belong in the car, and that there is a miscommunication between the gateway and the units (Or something like that)
Atleast the 3G unit should be accepted in the car. What can be wrong with my car?

I talked to a technician when I picked up the car, and he could tell med that the problem was Odis not wanting to remove the CP.
They could communicate with the unit but Odis refused to remove the CP due to the unit not being a part that was originally delivered with this VIN.
He mentioned something about that the needed a SVM code that Odis refused to deliver to them.

He told me they gave up on this car now. They had tried everything they could do.
The only thing he could think of was to read the eeprom from the old unit and put it in the new unit. He wasn't sure it would work, but that was the only thing he could think of.
I talked to a technician at the dealer, and he was intrigued by it and would love to have a look at it. If he had time he could do it tomorrow, if not I have to wait until February.

It's temping to buy a VCP and try to fix it myself. With all the costs I have had at the shops so far, I could have bought one maybe two..

Last edited:
Hi mate, I'm looking at fitting power trunk to my FL C7, you did not mention fitting new control unit for electric tailgate, did you not have to or was it in the car already?

Hi, yes I did study that post and the one that followed it, there was no mention of the module however it makes sense that I have to fit one, also it came up here and there while doing research on the retrofit. ANy chance you still have the pictures from the retrofit?

I'm sorry to flood this thread with my problems, but hopefully it can be of some help if others are in ny situation.
I still haven't been able to remove the component protection from my 5F unit.
I have been to the dealer 2 times, and the first time they said that since I didn't have a radio unit, just a kufatec dab adapter, that it was the problem.
I bought a radio and removed the kufatec adapter and they still didn't get it removed.
I may have an other issue. I thought that my lack of sound was the component protection, but at the dealer he said this was the symptoms on 2G, but on 3G you should have sound, it would just cut for a few sec now and then.

I don't have any sound..
When I turn the volume button it says "currently unavailable"
This applies to everything except the phone. The phone and ringing works fine. What can be the issue? Is my amplifier broken? Then why does the phone work? Can it be a wire, or a connection somewhere?
When I test the speakers in vcds, each speaker makes a noise.
Does anyone have good tip I can follow? As mentioned earlier I have the bose amp from a C7, but I have repinned it so it should be OK.

I have a question about the 3GP retrofit again. I have been in 7 times to try to fix the CP, but the dealer isn't able to remove it. And I still have no sound. The Nav and telephone audio works fine. I even got a original Bose for C6 instead of the C7, but still nothing.
However, today something happened. I did my usual checks and I opened the amp with VCDS and pressed actuator test, and after hearing sound from one speaker, I canceled the test. And then suddenly the audio started working! The joy was short-lived. When I turn off the ignition, it's back to not working. If I repeat the procedure it works again until I turn off the ignition again.
What could be the reason for this? Is there any way to get permanent sound?

And as a sidenote, when I get the sound working I loose the Nav maps..
"Navigation data are not enabled" is the message that comes up. If I restart the MMI it's back, but as soon as I get the sound the Nav dissappear.
It's very strange, and it makes me think that there must be something wrong with the software?

Hi all new to the site and world of Audi. I found this thread as it is what i am looking at for my new to me A6 C6 3.0TDi. Im not sure if its my end or not but 95% of the pictures arent showing up in the threads. Is it something im missing?

Reactions: Ciup
The solution to my issues have been resolved.
The solution was ridiculously simple.
When both the workshop and the dealer tried to remove the CP, the selected a 2006 A6 C6 in Odis, instead of a 2011 A6 C6 or 2012 Q7 as the car have become. I have told them this severely times, but they still didn't listen.
A third shop took the car in for a couple of days and tested different things, and that was the solution to several months of agony: select the car in Odis according to the modules, not the chassis.
Hope this can be of some help to others as well.

Reactions: pelhamsdetailing