Misfiring in the A3

Ted Lindsay

Reaction score
Hey so recently my car started playing up and the 4th cylinder kept misfiring, I replaced the coil and 4 spark plugs and also did a compression test which went slowly up to around 100, do we think that the head gasket needs to be replaced, and does any one know of anyone that does it in the London/Surrey area ?

Is it still mis firing? I had exactly the same problem a couple of weeks ago and it was just one coilpack ******.
100 lbs. ? Should be more than that. If the head gasket has gone you would have other problems like loosing coolant, coolant in the oil or stream of white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

How did the electrode look on cylinder 4? Was it different to the others?

Is it still mis firing? I had exactly the same problem a couple of weeks ago and it was just one coilpack ******.
100 lbs. ? Should be more than that. If the head gasket has gone you would have other problems like loosing coolant, coolant in the oil or stream of white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Hey dude, it’s stil misfiring, I replaced the coil and spark for Cylinder 4 and nothing. I can’t think of what else would cause it because the compression was way too low. Maybe the piston rings are ******** ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did the electrode look on cylinder 4? Was it different to the others?

I didn’t actually examine it properly, but I will have. Look tomorrow, should it look identical ?

Have you had your injectors checked?

Maybe no.4 has dropped? If you can’t make it to Rtech for an injector service then VDS Performance in Redhill, Surrey can do it.

You say the duff pot is reading 100 psi what are the others reading ? what engine is this ?
Have you tried a squirt of oil down the bore, if the comp then comes up its probably rings, maybe just stuck. if it doesn't then its more likely valves.

Have you had your injectors checked?

Maybe no.4 has dropped? If you can’t make it to Rtech for an injector service then VDS Performance in Redhill, Surrey can do it.

Hey, I haven’t checked them yet, it doesn’t misfire when Driving, only idling. I find that strange