1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Merc A45s...

FBF01 Jul 4, 2019

1. Snake Pliskin

Snake Pliskin Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah but if they did that, where would they pitch the RS6 & Rs7 not to mention the R8.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. terminator x

terminator x Registered User

Tricky I agree. Have you seen that vid showing RS4 quicker than current RS7 as it is?!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Snake Pliskin likes this.
  4. Snake Pliskin

no mate

5. Ron240

Ron240 Breaking the stereotype Gold Supporter

Yeah I'm not keen on estate cars either even if they have stupid power.
    The RS4 saloon was by all accounts a fantastic car, and I remember an episode of Top Gear where Jeremy Clarkson was driving it up and down a mountain road and I think he said it was one of the very best cars he had driven. :)

6. terminator x

Go to 3 mins 20:

TX.

7. Snake Pliskin

Crikey !!!

8. terminator x

Just spotted 2 mins 40 where the RS4 really thrashed it! The 7 and 6 are way too heavy now imho, over 2 tons.

TX.

9. NevMan

NevMan Well known member

tbh, all down to the reaction time, as when the RS7 driver nailed the launch (3rd attempt! @ 4:15), it beat the RS4 pretty easily...whether worth the extra £3ok is another thing ;-)

10. terminator x

True although there was a time when the 3 or the 4 wouldn't get a look in vs a RS6 or 7. Not much in it anymore between them all imho.

When the new RS3 arrives it will surely be faster than the RS4 as almost the same power yet 300kg lighter!

TX.

Audi Bairn, Snake Pliskin and T-1000 like this.
  11. NevMan

NevMan Well known member

agree, probably too close to justify £30k, but then some will always want that, because it is faster on a deserted runway.

Surely RS3 will give the A45s a real test, never mind from it's own stable

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Snake Pliskin

You'd imagine that the new RS3 will at least match the A45s or beat it by a tenth of a second :)
    It should do anyway if it has the rumoured 440 bhp vs the 421 of the AMG.
    Then Merc will no doubt respond by making the 45s face lift quicker again.

14. Snake Pliskin

was in my Dealer yesterday and they had this for sale good to go if anybody is interested ? :)

IMG_8321.JPG

IMG_8322.JPG

Ron240, BarryG79 and NevMan like this.
  15. RGBARGEE

RGBARGEE Registered User

No thanks, sticking with the Targa 4S. These really look a bit naff imho but appreciate it is a personal choice.

16. Snake Pliskin

You are a hard man to please lol :)

17. RGBARGEE

RGBARGEE Registered User

Not really. The styling of these things just looks disjointed. The rear end has far too much going on to make it a work of art. 1920x1440.jpeg

18. Snake Pliskin

I've gotta say I really like the AMG GTr but I would have the hard top - it is just so mean & aggressive and has immense presence.

[​IMG]

The Porsche does of course look great and granted it is way more restrained.

The AMG is a bold statement car.

NevMan likes this.
  19. RGBARGEE

RGBARGEE Registered User

1920x1440 2.jpeg

Not my sort of car at all. Far too bling. As for the 'Crayon' colour, popular with Porsche too I really do not like it. Reminds me of 'hearing aid beige' Austin Allegro colour or the old 1960's Ford Pubic Grey.

20. Snake Pliskin

I'd have to go silver with AMG GTr - I love the look of the F1 safety car

[​IMG]

Ron240, NevMan and SPIKE_JCW like this.
  21. SPIKE_JCW

SPIKE_JCW Vorsprung durch Technik

@Snake Pliskin how are you finding life with the A45S? I think you've had it a while now, and just interested to see if you have any regrets? Looks and performance are impressive, but the engine noise would be a problem for me. The wife loves them, and can see her looking at them later next year.

Snake Pliskin and NevMan like this.
  22. NevMan

NevMan Well known member

+1 on that Snake. Plus don’t have the stigma attached to being a Porker owner

23. RGBARGEE

RGBARGEE Registered User

No stigma owning a Porsche... Audi technology and style ++

24. Snake Pliskin

Yes I have had the car around 8 months now so a good length of time to get familiar with it.
    On the whole I really am chuffed with it.
    It ticks the main boxes that the RS3 did for me namely ... feels special, I still look at it and think "that looks ****ing good and its stupidly quick.
    I absolutely adore the interior - coming from a pre-facelift 8v with analogue dials - it was like stepping into a car with alien technology lol
    I know some people dislike the "ipad dash" but in the A Class it really works and just looks super cool.
    I'm also into my TV's and the high res display from the screens is awesome as is the customisation.
    I took it into the Dealer yesterday and there was an update which has tweaked some of the dash layout - and it is pretty cool.
    Its such a really nice place to sit and the quality and materials are very premium.
    The seats are mega supportive & look incredible but they are also very comfortable.
    Then there is the handling - I just have the regular suspension and don't get me wrong it is firm, but supple at the same time.
    Yes you have to go slow over speed bumps and the like, but I had to even with my RS3 with mag ride.
    But the handling in general is superb, it will corner at very high speeds - maybe that's why one of the custom screens is for a g metre lol :)
    The one and only down side is the noise I lost from the 2.5 litre 5 cylinder RS3 engine and I would say the Audi gearbox possibly had the edge.
    It does sound decent for a 2 litre, but the Audi sounded amazing and that I do miss.
    The Audi gearbox was always pin sharp and the Merc is fine when you are hammering through the gears, but it can stutter occasionally when coming slowing down for a junction, if you then want to make a sharp exit.
    But that tends to me mostly when you are just pottering around town in comfort.
    Pop the mode into Sport or Sport+ (or even Race lol) and then this eliminates the issue, but of course holds the revs higher.
    So I tend to switch the dial into Sport if I think i might want to exit sharply and job sorted.
    The Audi just had drive and Sport so a flick back of the gear stick sorted it, rather than 5 modes with the Merc, which is a tad overkill :)
    So I am very happy with the car, it was a great choice from the RS3 and certainly feels every bit as special.

25. RGBARGEE

RGBARGEE Registered User

Nice review, are M-B paying you? seriously did your RS3 not have drive select? There are several choices to change the engine, steering, exhaust etc plus of course the D (Day) and S (sunny) modes.

26. Snake Pliskin

Yeah I had it set to individual modes but I was referring specifically to the gearbox.
    In the Audi I always drove around in D and only dropped it into Sport for overtaking, then straight back into D.
    With the Merc there are 5 modes - comfort / sport / sport + / race / snow & ice ... its a tad overkill :)

& no they are not paying me lol, that is an honest unbiassed view and how I genuinely feel about the car :icon thumright:

NevMan likes this.
  27. NevMan

NevMan Well known member

Looks pretty balanced to me, but Audi fan boys are not swayed

A4B9 and Snake Pliskin like this.
  28. SPIKE_JCW

SPIKE_JCW Vorsprung durch Technik

Cheers @Snake Pliskin for the detailed feedback. Interesting note on the gearbox....I would of thought that the gearbox would of been a leap on from the PFL RS3 just because of the build time between the two cars. Hope you enjoy a few more years in it :icon thumright:

NevMan and Snake Pliskin like this.