Facelift Make the RS3 8S sound like the 8V?

s3pa

Reaction score
Just ordered the RS3 Sportback in Mythos Black with RS Sport Exhaust. Heard it a couple of weeks ago and the sound is pretty good but lacks the Pops and Bangs with revving/downshifts.

Came across this video of a TTRS 8S and sounds pretty good to me and reminds me of the pre-facelifted RS3 sound very much. -

Now I do not prefer to buy an aftermarket exhaust of 3200€ since I have selected the RS Sport exhaust. I am wondering if it would be possible to have the RS Sport exhaust sound somewhat the same.

Thanks!

Did you cycle round the Dynamic mode after starting the engine? If not the pops etc do not work.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Did you cycle round the Dynamic mode after starting the engine? If not the pops etc do not work.

Yes, was in Dynamic. It kind of pops (more burbles) but not as hard as the 8V.

But did you cycle through to Dynamic once started?

So you start the car and even if started in Dynamic cycle through the again, otherwise you just end up with volume.

There was a recent software update that reduces the volume on startup as well.

Yes, started in Comfort cycled to Dynamic.

I think you might have to experiment - try doing a second cat delete, but if no good, then you might have to open the rear box and remove some baffles...

I do like the dash on the TT in your clip with everything in front of you in one place! One of my gripes on the FL - it should have adopted the same.

Yeah, it sounds like they put something in the exhaust to reduce the pops. Hope other owners who receive it earlier will do the experimenting and share it on Youtube. I think I am not the only one who want the pops from the 8V.. :)

Yeah, it sounds like they put something in the exhaust to reduce the pops. Hope other owners who receive it earlier will do the experimenting and share it on Youtube. I think I am not the only one who want the pops from the 8V.. :)

I think I will definitely end up getting the secondary cats out, how soon that will be I don't know.

Alu block 5 cylinder will never sound as good an iron block 5 cylinder unfortunately.

Reactions: Radman
I think I will definitely end up getting the secondary cats out, how soon that will be I don't know.

There are no secondary cats on the aluminium block 5 cylinder, only one big primary cat. I've heard a car with the primary cat removed and it sounded worse than stock. Just loud and more tinny.

Alu block 5 cylinder will never sound as good an iron block 5 cylinder unfortunately.
Have you watched the TTRS video? Sounds pretty good to me..

Maybe a res delete would just do the job..
Let's hope so.. from what I have heard it just feels something is blocking the pops and bangs due regulation..

Is this car stock?.. Surely it cant be too difficult to get the RS3 sounding like this can it?...

Is this car stock?.. Surely it cant be too difficult to get the RS3 sounding like this can it?...

Really have no idea, the RS3 and TTRS surely didn't sound like that when I heard them both in the flesh.

There are no secondary cats on the aluminium block 5 cylinder, only one big primary cat. I've heard a car with the primary cat removed and it sounded worse than stock. Just loud and more tinny.

Serious? Absolutely gutted :( The car sounds rubbish in comparison and I've paid a premium for it! :( There has to be another part to the exhaust that is silencing it? Other than the two anti-drone boxes on the PFL?

Serious? Absolutely gutted :( The car sounds rubbish in comparison and I've paid a premium for it! :( There has to be another part to the exhaust that is silencing it? Other than the two anti-drone boxes on the PFL?
Cancel your order, buy a nicely specced and more aggressive sounding PFL and save yourself the best part of £20k! If you want it as fast as the FL then spend £500 on a map!

Reactions: Radman, Beebee-one and Terminator x
Cancel your order, buy a nicely specced and more aggressive sounding PFL and save yourself the best part of £20k! If you want it as fast as the FL then spend £500 on a map!

I couldn't go to a PFL, no decent ones out there and I have a FL now.
I couldn't go and buy a used car when I have a car I've owned from new, I'm too much of a perfectionist.
My detailer said that the S3 is the cleanest daily driven car he has come across and he works with some nice cars.. says it all. I couldn't buy a see car and not know how it's been treated. Just need to find out what exactly is holding back the sound on the FL RS3.

I'm not bothered about speed, I keep forgetting it's considerably faster than the S3... not the reason I bought it.

If I ever went for a used car it would be a B8 RS4, or an RS6 but I can't fit either in the garage. Just looked at insurance on an RS4 to put me off, it's £2600 which is a few hundred more than the RS3 :( Need to forget this before I look too seriously haha. My deposit is non refundable on the RS3. The RS4 was my dream all through school and I love it, but it's not sensible

Last edited:
I couldn't buy a see car and not know how it's been treated. Just need to find out what exactly is holding back the sound on the FL RS3.
It's a brand new engine/turbo etc. It might not be a case that some mapping is holding back the sound. It could just be that's the way it is from now on. As @terminator x said, the feeling was that Audi "got away with one" with the RS3's exhaust being so lairy.

Reactions: Radman and Terminator x
It's a brand new engine/turbo etc. It might not be a case that some mapping is holding back the sound. It could just be that's the way it is from now on. As @terminator x said, the feeling was that Audi "got away with one" with the RS3's exhaust being so lairy.

Such a shame, trying not to be disappointed at the moment. Wish there was a demo out there for me to drive.

Such a shame, trying not to be disappointed at the moment. Wish there was a demo out there for me to drive.
Don't be man, surely would be a fix for it in the near future. The first video of that TTRS (which has the same engine) makes me optimistic. Problem is, not many are around yet and I do think someone will eventually come up with a solution as most of us buy the RS3 mainly because of the sound.

Don't be man, surely would be a fix for it in the near future. The first video of that TTRS (which has the same engine) makes me optimistic. Problem is, not many are around yet and I do think someone will eventually come up with a solution as most of us buy the RS3 mainly because of the sound.

I've been online tonight looking at RS4 & 6, insurance isn't too bad for me but it couldn't go in the garage. But used car finance rates are criminal so that's that idea out of the window.

Why not try switching sports exhausts with a pfl owner to see if the problem is the actual exhaust system it self.

Why not try switching sports exhausts with a pfl owner to see if the problem is the actual exhaust system it self.

Have discussed this in another thread, but it would be a bit of a pain swapping exhausts twice :lmfao:

Somebody needs to take the plunge and buy a spare system.

And you laughed at me for getting ceramic brakes :whistle2:

I said that knowing that nobody would, lmao.
I'm sure Aoon has a lot of friends who are likely to have one and tinker with, I have good faith in him that if there is a fix he will know and tell us.

I'd be interested to drive one with ceramics, I can imagine the stopping power will be out of this world. Had I wanted the car to be more of a drivers car, ready for track days and alike I would have substituted the visual options for them. I've been out in an RS7 with ceramics, it is almost painful haha.

If you want to have a laugh, watch Daniel Khan's RS3 on YouTube... decat and 4K rev standstill limit removed. Ridiculously loud!

Rev limit removal perhaps not the best idea in the world though ;)

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

TX.

Sounds good though ;) :friends:

Do you ever intentionally hit the red line in your car? S3 doesn't allow it. I know it's bad, but it's sounds so good in the RS3 ;)

Sounds good though ;) :friends:

Do you ever intentionally hit the red line in your car? S3 doesn't allow it. I know it's bad, but it's sounds so good in the RS3 ;)
When I first got mine I hit the limiter a few times, partly because my old Golf used to automatically change up at the red line.

Not often and certainly not on purpose! Doesn't change up though as you say, strange that S3 does.

TX.

TX.

Does sound f'in awesome though. For what is still an A3 with a decat, it's bonkers!

Reactions: AudiNutta and Terminator x
When I first got mine I hit the limiter a few times, partly because my old Golf used to automatically change up at the red line.

I don't rely on the S3 changing up, it annoys me when it does! Lately the gearbox is having a funny with me, if I downshift to second.. rev it our, change to third and almost instantly after it keeps on changing into 4th in manual automatically. Not sure why it's doing it but it's a bl**** nuisance.

I know it's bad to hit the limiter but it does sound incredible like you said. I had to intentionally hit it twice in the RS4 I drove, wow ;)

Sounds good there, minus the pops :/

I have seen this RS3 and kept its VIN number because it has Ceramic brakes...each one 4950€...

its sound is ok but less hard than PFL.

Reactions: AudiNutta
I have seen this RS3 and kept its VIN number because it has Ceramic brakes...each one 4950€...

its sound is ok but less hard than PFL.
Won't take long before a genius find a way to make it sound like the PFL..

Reactions: AudiNutta
please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought they dialed down (software change) the pops and bangs on FL RS3 from pre-FL (presumably because it was too noisy)....and dialled in (software change) more on FL S3....I also thought they kept TTRS as it is from launch when the pre-FL RS3 came out....so now TTRS and FL RS3 have been differentiated in the sound department ie. TTRS is the more raw/loud/poppy/bangy one as its the top sporty model here.....ergo: you should be able to make software changes at some point on the FL RS3 to bring back the love :) ....and obviously res delete/new exhaust should also help matters...

TTRS and RS3 will sound the same.