k03 or k03s...?

P

Pete69zx

Can i fit a k03s turbo to my car as a direct replacement to the k03?

The car has already been re-mapped (i believe by APR).

Will it give me any bennefit?

Is it only worth it if my k03 packs up?

Cheers, Pete.

I think the K03S is a direct replacement good for about 15-20hp over the K03but why not just bolt a KO4 on instead good for ~60bhp +

Both would probably require a custom map to get the best from them though.

nervus said:
I think the K03S is a direct replacement good for about 15-20hp over the K03but why not just bolt a KO4 on instead good for ~60bhp +

Both would probably require a custom map to get the best from them though.

Because you'd need a new manifold, TIP, MAF, downpipe and oil hoses to fit a K04.

Could he just not fit a VAG S3 manifold complete with KO4 etc? Theres a few who have upgraded to BT's so there should be plenty knocking around.

nervus said:
Could he just not fit a VAG S3 manifold complete with KO4 etc? Theres a few who have upgraded to BT's so there should be plenty knocking around.

Of course he could. Or he could fit an ATP Eliminator or IHI or GT28RS.

None of them just 'bolt straight on' like the K03s would.

You can buy hybrid K03/K04 turbo's that'll bolt straight on, but they are fairly expensive.

And the last time you saw a cheapish second hand IHI +manifold or GT28RS with a golf manifold was???

There have been a few second hand 210/225 manifolds complete with the KO4 turbo fairly cheaply on various forums for sale.

nervus said:
And the last time you saw a cheapish second hand IHI +manifold or GT28RS with a golf manifold was???

There have been a few second hand 210/225 manifolds complete with the KO4 turbo fairly cheaply on various forums for sale.

Argumentative bunch on this forum, aren't we?

Ok, so used K04 mani and turbo... £200 more/less? no idea.

Downpipe and high flow cat to match £400

TIP £130

MAF £200 cos you won't have one to exchange

Oil pipes £no idea

'Custom' Remap £500

Labour to fit that lot... 6 hours @ 65/hour £390

Total = £1800ish for about 260bhp

That's about the max power you'll get cos the K04 simply can't flow anymore gas!

Problem then is you only have a single SMIC, inlet temps will be shocking sou you'll need an FMIC, kiss another £750 goodbye. Course then you've got 265bhp on crappy little brakes. Even 312mm conversion is gonna cost £250+labour.

But yeah, second hand K04 turbo's and mani's are cheap and 'just bolt straight on' :yes:

IIRC the K04-001 is a direct replacement for a K03. Though someone will correct me if I am wrong. Just I met a guy at a mk-iv meet with a K04 on his AGU

And for 312mm you'll need new carriers too, roughly £100 (breaker)

Just trying to offer suggestions fella, no need to show your ****. We not just post your private E-mail address and we can can all cut to the chase and get your expert opinion first.

But as you have said a K04 Turbo and manifold does 'bolt on' and if they are £200 - £500 then they are cheap too. A new replacement K03 from VAG will be more than that.

Even if you can't physically fit the hardware yourself £1800 is still cheap, or do you think thats expensive?

nervus said:
Just trying to offer suggestions fella, no need to show your ****. We not just post your private E-mail address and we can can all cut to the chase and get your expert opinion first.

But as you have said a K04 Turbo and manifold does 'bolt on' and if they are £200 - £500 then they are cheap too. A new replacement K03 from VAG will be more than that.

Even if you can't physically fit the hardware yourself £1800 is still cheap, or do you think thats expensive?

i feel no emotion on the subject. i was simply answering the first point that yes, a K03s will bolt straight on. You posted 'Why not bolt on a K04?', i am simply pointing out that a K04 conversion isn't as simple as bolting straight on and does not compare to the amount of effort necassery to go K03s.

My opinion is no more or less expert than yours, i was mearly adding the detail that your posts lacked.

Like i said, you get a lot of people on this forum biting because you post something that contradicts or explains the necassery detail relating to their post. If the original poster likes the idea of 260bhp from a K04 where is the harm in explaining what else would be required? If he goes away with the impression that K04 is as easy to fit as K03s then that is incorrect, again where is the harm in an explanation?

The K04 you refer to, being removed from an S3 or Leon Cupra R, will require all the things i've mentioned. I doubt K04-001's come up as frequently second hand, if they do and can be fitted without the parts i mention then great! I'm not gonna get the hump because somebody tells me something i don't know!

jediknight said:
its like being at school again.

Yup, what's the point in getting personal about a few prices with someone you'll never meet! Truely beyond me.

Tallpaul said:
This guy sells 'direct fit' 312mm brake upgrades for Golf IV platform cars:

http://www.golfturbo.com/index_files/page0002.htm

Doesn't mention the need for carriers. Does this kit really need them?

I think they are included. Yes you really need them - the bigger disc diameter means you cannot use your standard 288m ones. The discs are standard TT items with delivery mileage where new buyers have specified upgraded brakes.

Thats the thing with forums though isnt it, its easy to take things the wrong way. Yes you are right, I originally thought a K04 had the same mounting flange as a K03, which you kindly pointed out was not the case.

I still think a couple of grand for 260bhp from 150bhp is cheap and merely thought it was an option worth considering. I wasn't trying to be "Argumentative" as i couldn't give a rats *** really.

Im just like many others, stuck at work and bored beyond belief otherwise I wouldn't venture onto these spod infested internet forums. I'd much rather be out driving fast cars and screwing hot chicks bevieve me!

Thanks for all of the input on this topic :)

Cheers, Pete.

P.S... was just a question about a power hike using a different turbo compared to the one i have fitted. No £££ to do anything about it.
I just ordered a full FK coilover kit using Koni adjustables, alloy strut brace & full powerflex bush kit for fron & rear of the car. Oh, & also the dogbone engine bush by powerflex aswell.

Cant wait to get them fitted :)