Charlie Farley's 350BHP & beyond 2.0tfsi BUL Engine and K03/4 upgrade project, maybe just 300bhp now.

looking more towards a TTE420 based setup, might have a chat with R-tech on Monday and get some feedback etc from them.

Running bigger turbos with less boost still mske more power its just usually safer on the internals.

power delivery is more linear and it was frequently noted that the midrange torque spike from a smaller turbo at high boost was what bent rods.

TTE420 is quite alot bigger than a standard ko4, even running it at 370/380hp it should be safer than a ko4 that would be flat out at 370hp.

K16 turbine and billet compressor wheel

Attachments

• 8C0F1879-5553-4F11-AEC0-0333D36391E2.jpeg
    8C0F1879-5553-4F11-AEC0-0333D36391E2.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 247
  • 07DD0CC2-56CA-4A1A-A45C-C9DADDFED7C5.jpeg
    07DD0CC2-56CA-4A1A-A45C-C9DADDFED7C5.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 251
Not sure if this will be any use to you Rob but just been browsing on Copart and found this

https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/29475020

No details or specifics and no guarantee its a BUL but if it comes cheap and you can find a way of bidding it might come cheap.

I was going to give this a go but they just wont advise me what engine code it is ,not that it really makes a massive difference as I'd be rebuilding anyway but i'd prefer another BUL.
It will probably sell for silly money but its a big gamble buying it blind as it could be totally shot and not worth the hassle rebuilding.

Might be selling my complete car cheap in the next few months, not as cheap as before, but still cheap. Although it is a BWE, but a 6speed quattro so plenty of spares.
Ive found myself fancying something bigger and more family orientated.

I was going to give this a go but they just wont advise me what engine code it is ,not that it really makes a massive difference as I'd be rebuilding anyway but i'd prefer another BUL.
It will probably sell for silly money but its a big gamble buying it blind as it could be totally shot and not worth the hassle rebuilding.

the only difference is the revision B camshafts in the head for the BUL.
As long as its from a manual car it should be good to go.
Any from a transverse engined TFSI just need the longitudinal sump fitting.

I’ve got a BUL cylinder head in the shed if you get stuck, also have the block but that had the unwanted double rod delete feature not widely advertised by VAG :racer:

it may even be seized, they wont disclose anything , its sold as seen.

Right made a final descision on what turbo assembly to go with, just need to get one ordered and workout what extra bits needed for b7 fitment.
TTE420 is my choice of weapon.:yahoo:

Reactions: i3oricua, Sidrick and Ricky Burrows

You say you like the quieter not in your face sounding cars Rob? This weapon seems to be making power figures your be looking at and oh my days the thing sounds like an animal with launch control! You can not ride Italian exotics and say you don't want this stop lien to yourself my friend lol.

Right made a final descision on what turbo assembly to go with, just need to get one ordered and workout what extra bits needed for b7 fitment.
Nice choice Rob. Hope you build the bottom to get the most out of it and not put a rod through your block.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

you already have the DV relocation kit and harness extension don’t you?
Shame there’s no kit out there with the DV outlet in an elbow and one in an inlet.
Doesn’t look like a tough a DIY :icon thumright:

Attachments

• 7138C4B0-D00E-41A7-83A6-129614719879.jpeg
    7138C4B0-D00E-41A7-83A6-129614719879.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 246
Reactions: Charlie Farley
you already have the DV relocation kit and harness extension don’t you?
Shame there’s no kit out there with the DV outlet in an elbow and one in an inlet.
Doesn’t look like a tough a DIY :icon thumright:

I did have but let it go a while back, I knew it would be needed one day...:sadlike:

Reactions: antwan64og
In a A4 you want the loba LO400L ;-)

Direct fit for longitudinal engines.

There's one squirreled away in my collection of parts.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I haven't ordered the TTE420 yet due to yesterdays problems so may look into this one before I make a final purchase, just to be doubly sure.

And if the old bus doesn't start behaving pronto it still maynot happen. :gun2:

I feel your pain mate mine and mrs car are both un drive able at the minute its a complete nightmare trying to get to work and her get kids to school and playgroup ect when we live in the sticks.

Ill be out in the rain later tonight stripping her manifold and radiator back off again been one thing after another lately.

Hopefully were get a break soon mate.

On a better note though, no faults today , and hey it's not raining either..a good day so far then:yahoo:

On a lesser note, not at all impressed with R-tech. I've called them 4 times since Monday morning and no reply , left phone messages to ask a call back to discuss my requirements etc , nothing , so add that to the substandard PCV delete plate they sold me some time which I never received a refund or replacement , I wont be using them for anything this side of ever again.
I've allways worked on the basis that good customer comms are an essential part of any good business, obviously not for them and they don't need my cash.

Rant over on the r-tech subject.

Reactions: Ricky Burrows
Just chomping on the pro's and cons of the two viable options , the loba LO400L , - v- the TTE 420.
Still edging towards the TTE420 at the minute ,need to do a bit more research into the LO400L before I open my wallet tomorrow.

On a better note though, no faults today , and hey it's not raining either..a good day so far then:yahoo:

On a lesser note, not at all impressed with R-tech. I've called them 4 times since Monday morning and no reply , left phone messages to ask a call back to discuss my requirements etc , nothing , so add that to the substandard PCV delete plate they sold me some time which I never received a refund or replacement , I wont be using them for anything this side of ever again.
I've allways worked on the basis that good customer comms are an essential part of any good business, obviously not for them and they don't need my cash.

Rant over on the r-tech subject.
I found that Rob never got back to a couple voicemails when i did get through the guy seemed like he wasn’t listening, i had a phone call back from nicky think the name was and it was the opposite he was really helpful and was a pleasure to talk to.

I found that Rob never got back to a couple voicemails when i did get through the guy seemed like he wasn’t listening, i had a phone call back from nicky think the name was and it was the opposite he was really helpful and was a pleasure to talk to.

Damage is done now Ricky, If they cant sort out something as basic as returning customers call's even if it is just a brief reply , then I don't want to deal with them.
I'm going to be spending a lot of my hard earned pennies on this project and they would have benafitted from a big lump, they obviously don't need it though.

Yeah it made me look else where to be honest im eyeing up mrc but after seeing my local tuner do some magic on a ko4 a3 i may well give him a go.

Just chomping on the pro's and cons of the two viable options , the loba LO400L , - v- the TTE 420.
Still edging towards the TTE420 at the minute ,need to do a bit more research into the LO400L before I open my wallet tomorrow.

Sorry, I didn’t want to make decision more difficult. I just thought the LO400 looked a marginally easier install at £600 less albeit slightly less power.

Sorry, I didn’t want to make decision more difficult. I just thought the LO400 looked a marginally easier install at £600 less albeit slightly less power.
No probs chap, I'm only doing this once so it need to be right and with the right parts really.
I'm allways mindfull of the cost involved with these sort's of project and don't wish to be throwing funds at it left , right and centre .
Get the right bit's first time round is my goal and will hopefully pay off with something special that works.

No probs chap, I'm only doing this once so it need to be right and with the right parts really.
I'm allways mindfull of the cost involved with these sort's of project and don't wish to be throwing funds at it left , right and centre .
Get the right bit's first time round is my goal and will hopefully pay off with something special that works.
That's the thing. All the parts need to tie in together. I didn't realise at the time that I had actually got lucky in obtaining a low mileage turbo by chance, it was actually the first piece of a very complex puzzle of balance. Then came the pain of getting everything else together that would go with it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Righty then, as the old bus has saved itself and is now behaving properly I've moved onwards to order a few bits today.

Decided to go with the TTE420 in the end and ordering it online from AKS as they seem like nice chaps, more than i can say about a certain other company that's starts with an "R"....
Upload 2020 3 12 18 12 47

Going to sort out the new rod's, pistons , bearing etc over the weekend aswell so a bit more less to worry about.
I'll be needing a few sundry parts such a DV relocation setup too, but I expect all will get sorted shortly.

On a down side , I've still not sourced a suitable donor engine yet , but i'm on the case and hopefully may have something in the next week.

Exciting times.:yahoo:

rob

Reactions: Bobbytea and Ricky Burrows
Righty then, as the old bus has saved itself and is now behaving properly I've moved onwards to order a few bits today.

Decided to go with the TTE420 in the end and ordering it online from AKS as they seem like nice chaps, more than i can say about a certain other company that's starts with an "R"....
View attachment 199056

Going to sort out the new rod's, pistons , bearing etc over the weekend aswell so a bit more less to worry about.
I'll be needing a few sundry parts such a DV relocation setup too, but I expect all will get sorted shortly.

On a down side , I've still not sourced a suitable donor engine yet , but i'm on the case and hopefully may have something in the next week.

Exciting times.:yahoo:

rob
I found aks a really good and easy company to deal with id definitely use them again.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
To be safe I've factored in any possible donor engine having done a few miles and the bores maybe worn so going with 83.0mm pistons.
A rebore is not that costly and if i'm going this far it makes sense to do a belt and braces job.

I expect with all the current problems around the globe shipping times will be very variable , still at least they will be in the pipeline.

Last edited:
Looking into clutch assemblies now, not really sure on best route ,single or dmf

You should really get your crank checked before ordering shells as it might need a polish/grind so altering your size requirement. Dont assume std will be ok

Also you probably want the rods rifle drilling, standards are