JD Power UK Dependability Survey 2015

veeeight

I am a very pretty girl
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
yFaTRJn.jpg

More:
http://www.am-online.com/news/car-m...s-most-dependable-cars-in-new-jd-power-survey
http://fleetworld.co.uk/news/2015/A...s-finds-inaugural-J-D-Power-survey/0434021046
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/skoda-tops-reliability-survey-while-prestige-brands-struggle/

Reactions: Wondering Soul and Blackwhite
How come VW so high and Audi so low???????????????

Lower than Fiat & Land Rover (to name but a few)
Oh dear ...

They test new technology with Audi , as they want VW as the mass market reliable brand. By the timje it gets to Skoda all the bugs are sorted.
We are the test bed and pay through the nose for the privelege !

Reactions: Snibo
We also expect far more than the average Skoda driver!

They test new technology with Audi , as they want VW as the mass market reliable brand. By the timje it gets to Skoda all the bugs are sorted.
We are the test bed and pay through the nose for the privelege !
I'm sorry but that is the biggest load of horse shirt I've ever heard in my life. ' by the time it gets to skoda'?
"We are the test bed" what utter piffle

Fair enough , you don't agree.
But Skoda comes out top and Audi close to the bottom.... You explain it.
I have done a JD power before , and it is not owners perceptions it is actual faults that gi back to the dealers.
I also have a friend who is a R and D engineer at another major brand and believe me these thing are being dine all the time .

I guess you think Microsoft don't issue software too early, without testing fully.

It's not a scientific analysis, its a questionnaire sent to owners with questions like 'How reliable is your car?'. If you've spent £17k on a Skoda and its been in the garage a couple of times for something minor you'll probably tick 'very reliable' because being a Skoda your expectations were not sky high to begin with and in fact are probably pleasantly surprised and will mark it high accordingly.

Spend £30k on an Audi and it has to go in (for arguments sake) for the same problem and you're going to tick the 'not happy' box because you've bought the best and expected the best.

It's all subjective and I take it all with a pinch of salt - particularly as the thread was started by our resident Audi-hater

Reactions: Scottyg
Of course, that doesn't explain why Mercedes is at number 5 .......... ;)

Audi hater? Me? Nope. I like the good models. Honest and realistic about the not so good ones :D

PS: Even if I didn't start the thread, the stats would remain the same .....

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnM100, Blackwhite and Scottyg
Of course, that doesn't explain why Mercedes is at number 5 .......... ;)

Audi hater? Me? Nope. I like the good models. Honest and realistic about the not so good ones :D
No it just shows how utterly random it is. The only unreliable thing around here is the content of that survey.

Actually the one I completed was much more detailed than that.
It was designed with specific questions to ensure it was not subjective.
It wanted to know if you had any work done ,what category the work was. How many visits did it take , how king off the road , etc ,etc.
Of course there will be some subjectivity , but is not to say Skoda owners would be easier .
You could say a Skoda owner is more likely to be in theIr 50's and more likely to complain... So subjectivity does work both ways.
At the end of the day Skoda came first and Audi was close to the bottom for whichever reason and Audi should be taking it seriously. In fact V8 , I think under US law you would have been given a new car by now ( seem to recall they have a lemon law).
I am not knocking Audi as mine is nearly five years old and love it and waiting for my S3. I just hope Audi sort out the real world reliability ....

Reactions: Snibo and veeeight
Actually the one I completed was much more detailed than that.
It was designed with specific questions to ensure it was not subjective.
It wanted to know if you had any work done ,what category the work was. How many visits did it take , how king off the road , etc ,etc.
Of course there will be some subjectivity , but is not to say Skoda owners would be easier .
You could say a Skoda owner is more likely to be in theIr 50's and more likely to complain... So subjectivity does work both ways.
At the end of the day Skoda came first and Audi was close to the bottom for whichever reason and Audi should be taking it seriously. In fact V8 , I think under US law you would have been given a new car by now ( seem to recall they have a lemon law).
I am not knocking Audi as mine is nearly five years old and love it and waiting for my S3. I just hope Audi sort out the real world reliability ....
I just think things like this can easily be distorted or spun/loaded to present the picture you want to paint. People who have had a problem are more likely to complain/complete a survey than those who didn't. If brand A sold one million cars and 10,000 had a problem and brand B sold 100,000 cars and 10,000 had a problem, which is the more unreliable brand?

In the specific case of the Dependibility study, the methodology is based around the PP100 index.

That is, Problems per 100 vehicles. An actual measure, which accounts for variable volume of cars sold.

Not "just" customer expectations and satisfaction.

Very interesting that @veeeight - thanks for posting.

The French brand results surprise me - really does show how wrong misconceptions about brands can be......

However, I see Alfa Romeo are keeping up with their brand expectations :yes:

Very interesting that @veeeight - thanks for posting.

The French brand results surprise me - really does show how wrong misconceptions about brands can be......

However, I see Alfa Romeo are keeping up with their brand expectations :yes:

I think the French points, are a result of their tie-in's with the Japanese, eg: Renault-Nissan, plus there are a number of cars that are Japanese based too, eg: C1 & Aygo & 108. That would go some way to explaining this! (your rental Nissan excepted, of course ;) )

Last edited:
Reactions: Pulp84
In fact V8 , I think under US law you would have been given a new car by now ( seem to recall they have a lemon law).

Good news on this front. Assuming the ping-pong between the House of Commons and House of Lords gets resolved -

The coalition (remember them?) introduced a new UK Consumer Rights Act (currently a Bill, making its way through Parliament) that will (amongst other things)::

Let people who place an order for their car online have a 14 day cooling off period
Get a refund within 14 days of cancellation
Allow owners to reject a car within 30 days should it suffer a fault
Allow owners to reject a car within 6 months after ONE attempt at a failed repair

The Act will be law later this year, once it has passed through Parliament (both Houses), and Royal Ascent.

http://discuss.bis.gov.uk/consumerrightsbill/
http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2013-14/consumerrights.html

So who would not buy an Audi next time based on these results? I'm guessing no one (except Veeeight who's already stated he'll buy something else). So does it matter or prove anything?

Well, hypothetically, if I were a fleet manager, and wanted to buy a range of fast response estate cars, lets see, on the basis that it will spend the least time getting repaired, I might just choose a Skoda Octavia Estate .........

And is it relevant to the private buyer? Not so much if you're willing to depend on the 3-year new car warranty, but for a buyer of an Audi 3+ years - oh yes, I should think that this is an major factor.

But if fleets suddenly start buying Skodas by the thousand, that will hammer the residuals - from which, Audi will benefit.

Lets just see what happens at the end of the Golf-R leasegate..... I have a suspicion that all the nay-sayers about residuals suffering will amount to very little.

Back on topic- if you choose to buy an Audi (particularly an older Audi) without taking into account reliability, then a degree of perceived badge snobbery is in play ............. ;)

In which case, if it's the badge you want, you'll put up with the unreliability!

Lets just see what happens at the end of the Golf-R leasegate..... I have a suspicion that all the nay-sayers about residuals suffering will amount to very little.

Back on topic- if you choose to buy an Audi (particularly an older Audi) without taking into account reliability, then a degree of perceived badge snobbery is in play ............. ;)

In which case, if it's the badge you want, you'll put up with the unreliability!
Please just give it a rest, your constant snidely remarks at Audi and Audi owners are growing very tiresome.

Please just give it a rest, your constant snidely remarks at Audi and Audi owners are growing very tiresome.

Let's just remind ourselves, who, in this thread in post #10, cast the first so called "snide" remarks.....

Rather than just commenting on the topic, you couldn't resist, but have a pop at me.

What's good for the goose etc.

It also depends on your perceptions of your dealer and how they treat you during the sale and particularly the after care. Previously Glasgow Audi would have been hammered on both fronts as their customer focus wasn't great at all.
However, they have been bought over and restructured which will undoubtedly change their fortunes.
I have no complaints at all as I've not been back to the dealer for anything as I've had no issues so I would be ticking all the positive boxes in that survey.
Others may have a cr*p dealership and so slate them.

Reactions: Snibo and veeeight
Let's just remind ourselves, who, in this thread in post #10, cast the first so called "snide" remarks.....

Rather than just commenting on the topic, you couldn't resist, but have a pop at me.

What's good for the goose etc.
We both know this thread wasn't the beginning of it. You come on an Audi forum deriding Audi and Audi owners at every opportunity - it amounts to trolling. It's like going on Microsoft and constantly bleating about the users being deluded and how Apple is superior. I just think you're in the wrong place and you just take delight in winding people up. I won't take the bait in future, I'll just ignore it. But it's still tiresome all the same.

On the contrary.

My first post #1 published a factual table.

I linked 3 diverse sources with information to this table.

I made absolutely no comment, at all.

Until you chose to have a pop at me in post #10.

Whereby I exercised my right to reply.

It must be you that was trolling me, it was all going very well until then. :D

Reactions: Blackwhite
On the contrary.

My first post #1 published a factual table.

I linked 3 diverse sources with information to this table.

I made absolutely no comment, at all.

Until you chose to have a pop at me in post #10.

Whereby I exercised my right to reply.

:D
I'm talking about numerous other threads, as stated above. Anyway, nuff said - back to the topic.

I challenge you to calculate the exact proportion of my 5000+ posts - and publish what percentage is me actually being negative towards my car - I think you'll find your phrase of "at every opportunity" is slightly wide of the mark.

Perception, perception.

I'm a Mod on Insignia Enthusiasts as I used to have one. I'm probably the most negative over there. Not because I disliked my car, I loved it, but because it developed a fault that VX wouldn't acknowledge or accept so I slag it off all the time. However, I still post pics of it as I think it is still one of the best looking mass market family cars out there and can still give practical and informative advice, especially where, CAB, Finance and media come into play as well as software faults as mines had.
Forums have a multitude of differing view points on them and it's up to you as a member to read and comment on a chosen comment or not.

Reactions: JohnM100, Snibo and veeeight
I challenge you to calculate the exact proportion of my 5000+ posts - and publish what percentage is me actually being negative towards my car - I think you'll find your phrase of "at every opportunity" is slightly wide of the mark.

Perception, perception.
Can't be bothered but it's all there if people chose to search.

I'm a Mod on Insignia Enthusiasts as I used to have one. I'm probably the most negative over there. Not because I disliked my car, I loved it, but because it developed a fault that VX wouldn't acknowledge or accept so I slag it off all the time. However, I still post pics of it as I think it is still one of the best looking mass market family cars out there and can still give practical and informative advice, especially where, CAB, Finance and media come into play as well as software faults as mines had.
Forums have a multitude of differing view points on them and it's up to you as a member to read and comment on a chosen comment or not.

I think we covered this before on another thread! Yes, totally agree, some people have likened such compliant forums as "circle-jerks".

However - in posting that you think the Insignia is one of the best looking mass market family cars out there, in an Audi forum, you've suddenly opened yourself up for a whole lot of abuse - here come the pitchforks!! ;)

:lmfao:

V8 very interesting about the possible new law.

I think most of us on here really like our audi's , I know I do. It is not brand snobbery as I don't care.
My current A3 is my first. I went to buy a golf , but the same level A3 was cheaper. Having owned one I live the way it feels ,and the interior is a nice place to be. I like the style .
BUT , any car that is not reliable is of no use to me. First it is a mode of transport. If it fails at that all the test of the stuff is not relevant.
I will never go near a Vauxhall again.
I have only had two minor issues with my A3 , so have ordered a new one.
In fact the S3 is a dream car for me and I am really hoping it is good enough for me to keep a very long time.
I will get the five year warranty and decide after five years.
Does the survey bother me. Not really , I will decide on my own experience.

Reactions: Muttley75
Well, hypothetically, if I were a fleet manager, and wanted to buy a range of fast response estate cars, lets see, on the basis that it will spend the least time getting repaired, I might just choose a Skoda Octavia Estate .........

Our fleet manager has made a boo boo then, we have a majority of Skoda Scout 4x4 estates for our response cars but have just taken delivery of 3 LR Discovery Sports :wtf:

Reactions: veeeight
To whom it may concern:

I found the chart very interesting. veeeight gave us the information
that was formulated by that Co. Just because you don't like the
results, don't blame veeeight!

Reactions: Snibo and Scottyg
To whom it may concern:

For the third time, it's not specifically related to the survey or indeed this thread - we have an ongoing difference of opinion (which stems from the 'Why did you buy an Audi' thread) and since then, whenever our paths have crossed, he can't resist a dig at Audi and I in turn can't resist taking the bait and having a pop at his trolling.

For what it's worth, I'll call a truce, it's not worth the agro or the time it takes writing replies on a smartphone!

Also, I should add a lot of things can be taken out of context in written form, tone of voice and facial expressions do not get conveyed on here so it's very easy to fall out with people we don't even know. Things said tongue in cheek can easily be misconstrued.

Let's move on people, the sun is shining and life's too short.

To whom it may concern:

Reactions: Blackwhite and Scottyg