Is this the right bulb size? Spot the difference

I love A3

Reaction score
Hi everyone this is my first post :) I have to say this Audi Sport forum is great theres so many things to look at it!

I was wondering if someone could please tell me if I have the right bulb as there seems to be quite a difference in bulb size. Please see picture attached, I hope you can see them ok. I just went to see my Audi dealer about changing my DRL/Side lights on my A3 2010 sportback. They're an orangy colour at moment. From previous forums, and Piaa themselves, it says the Piaa H367 fits so I went and bought it but the guys at Audi says they think it wont fit into the holder. Could someone please explain this to me? Do I need to change these bulbs to a diff one? I've to go back to see them on Friday so a quick answer would be greatly appreciated! many thanks :)

sidelights.jpg picture by stupidvache - Photobucket

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stupidvache/sidelightbulbA32010.jpg

opps think this is correct link sorry!

sidelights.jpg

sidelightbulbA32010.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your quick reply Paulie! I was scared noone would reply to me! The lil doggie in ur profile pic is soo cute! :D

Aw no I was hoping they would be the right ones after searching high and low for sidelights. The part number is PS14W.. do you know which Piaa bulbs fit?

Aw thank you so much, ..the li'l guy's name is Mikey and he's sitting on my knee as I type this, lol. I hope someone will be able to come up with a definitive reply for you about the bulbs, but I will have a look for you now incase you don't get an answer quickly. :)

Paulie x

aww Hi Mickey! is he a Lapso Apso or Shih tzu or ? I'm not v good with remembering the breeds lol. He's a Lovely Colour! I have a lil bishon frise called Lulu :D although my sisters are desperate to get another one, a Samoyed!

Yes i had a look at the BM-Town bulb 45GBP, thanks but it's quite dear. My Piaa one was 33 GBP. I'm seeing if anyone wants it now lol its not been fitted or used- i just got it today. So if anyone wants it just PM me :)

right I think ive found a bulb from the forums. On Ebay its the NOKYA HEADLIGHT BULB 5202/H16/9009 7000K OE COMPATIBLE about 21 GBP from America. It seems higher voltage though so I'm not 100% sure

Have you changed your sidelights Paulie? Do you have an A3 too?

He's a Lhasa (though he can be a bit of a ****zu too sometimes), ..got 3 of them in all, glutton for punishment, I know, lol. I really love Bichons too, though, my aunty has one. That's good you seem to have found the right bulbs, will try and do some further checks for you, but I'm sure you've been very thorough in your research. Those PIAA's you have would be great for anyone with the pre facelift halogen lights. PIAA's are great bulbs though, had a full set on my last car. I'm very lucky to have the facelift Xenon Plus lights on my car, as I swore my next car had to have them after overdosing on Google researching the lights for my VXR, lol. :).

Paulie x

I'm a wee bit worried that the bulbs you've ordered don't look like they have the same bottom fitment as the ones you have in your car, ..hmm. The ones you've bought are 35W too, not 14W or maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing, lol. They seem to have a big plastic bit on the bottom. Are these what you've ordered?

Nokya 9009 H16 Arctic White Head lamp Fog light bulb S1 | eBay UK

EDIT They do look the same as the ones on BMTown, so PHEW, looks like you've got the right ones! Sorry, hope I didn't panic you there. Oh and BTW a great big WELCOME TO ASN!!! :)

Paulie x

Last edited:
Woah 3! they must be so happy together awww :D
Nope not ordered yet as I dont want to have to send them all the way back to America. Ive spent so much on lights! Like trial and error thing going on! Lol Yeh im the same I couldnt decide between Phillips Ultra blue for half the price or the Piaa's. In the end I went for Piaa i sure hope they'll last! I should get my H7 Dipped lights delivered tomorrow :D Thanks for checking for me! your so kind! Nice to 'meet' you Paulie :p

Nicole xx

Oo opps forgot to say yeh the plastic thing is same as this holder
sidelightbulb.jpg
and this is the colour of light I have now
sideilghtsoriginal.jpg

Wish they would make them a nicer colour! yeh its 12V 27W or so that I have just now so Im not sure if the 35W will be ok? I've emailed the guy from the States so will wait n see if he knows!

thanks again xx

Aww, so nice to 'meet' you too, Nicole. I'm sure the guy in the States will keep you right with your choice, but they look like the right ones for sure. If you think about it, proper LED DRL's are way brighter than the Halogen equivalents, so they're bound to be much higher and 35W might be about right and it says they use the same power as the OEM fitment. Factory LED DRL's are too bright to look straight at, so don't worry, you've done a good job there with your choice. Bulbs, bulbs, bulbs eh? It's not just the lads who care about how their precious cars look, lol. You take care and hope you stick around here. It's a really friendly place. :)

Paula x

Its so nice to meet another female. In prev forums for my old cars people would call me fella or this chap lol! Thanks for ur advice I hope I dont go wrong if I buy them. I need to stop with the impulsivness lol. I spend too much money on my car but not OTT like some people! I just like it to look good :D I'm thinking of changing the number plate lights but I'll go one step at a time lol. Have u thought of getting an Audi or u happy with the VXR what model is it? Must be rapid hehe! Hey I just realised! are u from Aberdeen? I'm from Glasgow! not far from you at all!! xx

Hehe, tell me about it, spent WAY too much money on my VXR (even got a feature in Total Vauxhall last year with it) and have promised myself not to do the same again with the S3, but not having much success with that one, lol. A wee word of advice with your number plate lights Nicole, no one AFAIK has found a set that will work with the Canbus system (on the facelift A3) without a bulb out warning on the dash. I have tried 2 different types and although the bulbs work, I couldn't stand the orange dashlight warning everytime I switched on my sidelights. Also, the numberplate light screws are like they're made of cheese. I have special Hex replacement screws that won't burr out, so when you do yours, send me a PM and I'll send you some screws for when you try the new bulbs.

I'm originally from Fife, but worked in Glasgow for 4 years a few years back and now live up in Aberdeen. Was through in Glasgow last weekend visiting my nephew, love the place! :)

Paula x

lol its so easy just to splash on nice wee things for the car eh! I do it with every car I own not so much speed side of things as most guys do but just cosmetically lol. I havent done that much with my A3 sport tho just got tints and fitted the RNS sat nav system it came with Bluetooth and the comfort package 2 things which I am so glad I have lol! oo Wish I could afford a S3. I wish at the time i paid the couple of thousands and got the black edition then I wouldnt have to change the lights lol!
Aw my cousin studied at Aberdeen Uni its really nice from av heard. I need to plan a trip there one day! Right I need to get my dinner now lol and catch up with Apprentice recorded! Nice speaking to u. I'll spk to u again soon good night xx

Hey Paula I went for the NOKYA H16 ordered off Ebay from the States 22 GBP. They are 35W I called Audi, the after sales department is great! They said 35W is fine and even offered to fit them for me when I get them. Hopefully get them in a week or 2. Fingers crossed! xx

Aww Nicole, that's brilliant news!! Makes a change to hear some nice things about Audi aftercare on here, lol. Your lights are going to look awesome with their lovely blinding white DRL's!!! You'll have to post some pics up on here, 'cause I'm sure lots of peeps would be very interested to follow your lead with this one. Not a bad price either, considering the price of the PIAA's for exactly the same effect. You know, you should pop a quick ad in the Classified Miscellaneous listings for your PIAA bulbs as you could recoup a fair bit of the cash you spent on them. It's such a shame they weren't the right ones, but if the seller assured you they were the right parts for your model of car, then you can send them back to them - and have the seller refund you the return postage - as they weren't as described. I know it's sometimes more hassle than is worth it to message back and forth on Ebay or to raise an issue with the seller, but they told you they'd work on your car and evidently they don't. You shouldn't be out of pocket at all for this.

So, what's next on your modding list then?? Thing is, with the new A3's they look really smart to start off with and don't need anything much doing to them, but there's always something we can think of to tweak them just a wee bit more, lol. Hope you're having a good day!

Paula :) x

Good afternoon Paula! Yes I definetely will put up the pics once I have them fitted. Just have to wait a couple of weeks to get them now but worth the wait I hope hehe!
aww well what happened with the Piaa bulbs was that I ordered H7 for my dipped beams and they sent me the H367 instead so I called them and told them and they aplogised and told me just to keep the H367s lol my luck eh! I have bulbs that dont fit and got them for nothing! Otherwise I would definetely return them. Thats why Im selling them for 25 GBP or so. I've asked my friend so I think she might take them. But thanks for the advice x

Whats next lol.. I considered it when I bought my car last year and really wanted the folded wing mirrors as seen in a lot of cars esp Mercs like when you lock your car they automatically fold in, I just remembered when I seen someone put a thread up today. Although, I did enquire in Glasgow about getting this done but I reckon its going to be very pricey so I left it at the time! I also enquired about remapping my car lol that was at the time I got my tints done but its just so much money! Plus theres warranty and that which i dont want to affect. Next year I think I might change my Sport to S line/ Black Edition maybe not S3 as they cost over 30K brand new. Have you got the latest S3?

Same hope your having a good day too :) Funny sunny/ rainy weather today! xx

Hehe, yeah really strange day up here too, raining one minute and sun shining the next, ..that's good ol' Scottish Summer time for you! Ah well, I'm sure you'll not have any bother getting shot of the PIAA's by the sounds of it. My friends all 'inherit' my old/wrong fitment bulbs and I usually have to fit them for them while I'm at it. My neighbours are always laughing at me messing with my car. With my VXR I used to have to swap the headlight bulbs by reaching up into the wheel arches and I could often be seen with my arm lost up inside the wheel arch of my car to almost shoulder depth, lol! The best WHITEST bulbs I ever used were PHILIPS Diamond Visions, ..better than all the PIAAs I ever had (apart from my PIAA Hyper Tera LED sidelights with W5W fitment but they set me back 95.00 GBP just for 2 sidies, ..what a nut job!). The Diamond Visions matched the Xenons in my VXR perfectly, can even show you a pic if you needed of how white they were. Think they're about 35.00 GBP a pair, but well worth it considering how much PIAAs cost and some of them aren't that great.

My S3's just over a year old, but I've only had it since the end of January this year. I had to give up the VXR because I've got a permanent spinal injury and I only drove it 7K miles in 2 and a half years, but because it was such a well known car on the VXR scene, I had no trouble selling it and getting 4K for it above the price other VXR's of the same age were going for. The S3's an S Tronic and every mile brings a big smile now, lol. Doesn't have foldy in mirrors though, which I had in my VXR and miss them now, but it came with pretty much everything else I had on my list, so I'm happy and can see me keeping this one for quite a long time. Audi FTW!!! lol :) xx

Hey Paula how are you today? Sorry to hear about your spinal injury but its good to hear your out there turning your cars into show cars and from the sounds of it your really good with knowing your way around it! I havent a clue about my car lol I ask my brother to do everything lol. So good for you! Hmm the diamond visions I had a look at those too and the Philips Blue Vision plus and I couldnt decide between them and Piaas! I went for Piaa because of the reputation and wanted to pay extra for quality! I still dont have the H7's btw! thats another story- I told them off for messing me about but I'm not one of those people to moan and shout as it isnt the guy on the phones fault.. someones messed about with my order and then royal mail has decided to take several days even though its a Special delivery guaranteed by 2pm parcel! how frustrating! I better get them tomorrow or i'll go mad! since Monday Ive been waiting! If the Piaas blow I think I will try Philips since youve recommended them. They were my second choice.

So have you got hundreds of mods on ur s3? It definetely sounds like it! O have you tried taken your sidelights out? My brother broke the pin when he tried taking the bulb out of the holder which was cliped on but he removed that - apprantly you turn the bulb 90 degrees or something? Im not risking it as I already have a bulb error message on my dash as one sidelight is out now so I think i'll take the Nokya sidelights down to Audi and ask them nicely to fit it lol!

O are you watching the Eurovision tonight? Hope youve had a better day than me!