Is my Manual gearbox about to go?

CanadaA3wales

Canadian living in South Wales - Audi A3 8V 150BHP
Reaction score
Hey all.

I am not having a good time with my car lately, first my rear brakes went and a £600.00 bill and now there is something wrong with my gear shifts.

When you go from 2nd to 3rd there is a slight spring which guides you into third instead of people going into 1st by mistake, well it seems mine has stopped doing this or is about to.

I am wondering if its a spring and something simple, or something more concerning?

There is no cruntches and it goes into gear no problem, I just have to manually put it into 3rd from second, it seems the spring thing stopped working, I am not sure.

All gears are fine, no problem with the clutch, no warnings.

Whats your thoughts on this?

Thanks all

Sounds like something in the linkage/shifting mechanism, doesn't sound like the gearbox itself

Reactions: CanadaA3wales
Reactions: alpesh26
I had the same problem on my 8L S3 after putting the car into the garage for three months where it stood. The car was covered in a bit of salt so that would probably explain why it went sticky. My gear lever wouldn’t centre itself in Neutral. I had to physically guide the gear stick into each gear myself as there was no sprinyness. 2-3 and 4-5 or 6-4 or 4-2 etc were tricky to do and it was just due to a bit of corrosion on the gear linkage. It’s easy enough to take apart and grease the ball joints etc. The hardest part was setting it all back up again, so I’d recommend marking the positions of the rods with masking tape before you disassemble. On the 8L S3 I had to remove the air box and MAF to get access to linkage which sat over the gearbox. Your symptoms sound the same so definitely worth checking and lubing up the linkage.

I would not know where to start.
I spoke with a Audi Indy and they will look at it.
Looks like another large bill after me spending 600 on rear brakes.

It must be something to do with the linkage as the gears are still going in fine, no grinding or anything so it must be something easy, but I couldnt do that myself

I’d point out the obvious - if you want a £600 bill for some brakes then go to Audi.

If you would rather pay £200 or less go to an independent.

It was a rear caliper which is electric so its very expensive, that was £200.00 alone, and it had to come from Audi as he could not find any parts at his usal place. I also called around for a new one and I could not find one either.

Then new pads and discs all on the back.
They also fixed the fuel sender unit as it was loose.

I think it was very expensive, but I did not have an option as I was broken down at the side of the road and my usual mechanic did not have secure space over the weekend.

I was not happy about the price, hence why I will never go there again.

To be honest that doesnt sound like a trivial piece of work so I'm not surprised it came to 600. I bet they had some fun and games with that new caliper.

Nowt scary about the calipers, fit and bleed the same as any other rear caliper, just get carista or similar £20 to reset them. £600....