Insurance for Test Drive

tj1978

MRX
Reaction score
Hi

I am possibly in a position to sell my car.
Can anyone tell me as the seller does my insurance need to have a specific clause in it to allow "any driver".. I currently have only named drivers..

I rang admiral who were no help and said they dont cover for test drives ??

I then hear from someone else its ok as long as the buyer has insurance which covers him for DOC - Driving another car with owners permission clause...

Am a bit confused..

Regards

TJ1978

In my experience (and I am an insurance underwriter) Your policy/insurer will only cover named drivers on the policy unless you change it to any driver if they offer that cover.
If someone else has a comprehensive policy and is over 25 their insurance company MAY allow them to drive other cars (I would check their certificate of insurance) but this cover is Third Party only, so is legal but would not cover any damage to your car.

tell them to take a one day insurance out if they want to test drive it..... £20 roughly, small price to pay and good way of judging commitment - thats what i did with our Mini, the lad loved the car and he came with the money and insured....did the change over there and then after a ten min drive

or you drive the car with then in the passenger seat, i think asking them to insure the car for a day would put off a lot of people? i can drive any car that does not belong to me third party, so as said ask them to bring proof.

would you want someone you didnt know driving your car that you are selling.....knowing they are only third party?

good suggestion having you drive.....but the only way to be covered fully for them to drive is for them to get insured, if they love the look of the car and like it enough to test drive, then there should be no issues....... i they are testing loads of different models then send them to a dealer, you dont want your car being a test car

would you want someone you didnt know driving your car that you are selling.....knowing they are only third party?

good suggestion having you drive.....but the only way to be covered fully for them to drive is for them to get insured, if they love the look of the car and like it enough to test drive, then there should be no issues....... i they are testing loads of different models then send them to a dealer, you dont want your car being a test car
Ideally not no, but if you state that they are driving your car third party, and any unlikley damage to yours must be paid for...
on a side note what would happen if they blew the engine???...that would be interesting

if they blew the engine they would say 'its a dodgy car' and walk off lol, think about it, if you were test driving and blew the engine wouldnt you say WTF? and try strangle the guy for selling you a car that could die on you?

lol

Ideally not no, but if you state that they are driving your car third party, and any unlikley damage to yours must be paid for...
on a side note what would happen if they blew the engine???...that would be interesting

yeah legally you've got nothing to stand on..... and you think someone who can walk away wont?

and blowing the engine is a risk your always gonna have, fully insuring is a risk you can irradicate fully

I'd refuse any test drives as you cannot trust anyone,a bloke I work with told me about test driving a R26 Megane and doing 130 in it ?

yeah i wouldnt trust anyone to test drive it. You should offer to take them out, and thats all. They can test drive once they have paid for it

The only problem is the buyers age, when I was looking to buy an s3 no temporary insurer would touch me due to my age and the insurance bracket that s3's fall into, they wouldn't even insure me on my A3 1.8tqs! which was rather frustrating.

I understand that people don't want just anyone turnng up to thrash ther car around.... But some of these cars are 7 years old and £10,000.... I certanly would not, and have never parted with my money without driving the car myself, if i was refused then i would go elsewhere :)

There are genuine buyers, that just want to get the feel of the car, test brakes, steering..etc.. For themselves, not part with their money to find on the way home that they have just brought a wrong 'un.

I agree ^^^^^

Its hard enough in this economic climate to get a decent sale without giving "conditions of sale"
i have never heard of anybody willing to pay a days insurance for a potential car, what do they tell their insurance? its not my car but fancy a test drive?
you can go to dealers and drive a brand new car without all that nonsense, i guess the best way is to drive it your self, if they like it take a deposit, (if they are willing to give you a deposit at this stage they are serious about buying) then if they insist, let them drive it with the relevant insurance

Last edited:
most of, if not all insurance companies let you drive other cars third party only providing that car has it's own insurance and you have the owners consent.....

Last edited by a moderator:
its a compromise and depends how you are willing to risk your car...... i personally wouldnt let anyone drive mine without being properly insured and if they like the car that much then they will get insured....

the lad who bought our Mini loved it, went away and came back to pick it up because i told him how tight the car was to drive, he had full insurance and everything to drive the car away....thats not out of the realms of possiblitiy, sure the scenario where that doesnt work is if the buyer is looking at various different models, then only you can gauge it

sure you can drive anything at a dealer, but then you will more than likely pay dealer prices for a car you cannot be certain of its origin with a warranty which you could buy for a private sale car.....