i-pod's

Amchlolor

Reaction score
See when car manufacturers mention their stereos are 'i-pod compatible',do they literally mean i-pod only,or are they just using that as a generic term,like 'hoover' or 'coke' ?
I want a Creative product,not an i-pod.
It's all double dutch to me.
This enquiry is a general one,not specific to my A3.

Bowfer, i would suggest that if it is Ipod comp. then it more than likely has a socket specific to an Ipod (though it may be just a 3.5mm jack socket), but if it MP3 player compatible, like the 3 series coupe as standard, it has an 3.5mm jack input, or has a USB socket for USB MP3 players.

For the creative, I guess either of the latter two would work fine as far as getting the sound to the stereo, but control from the head unit is unlikely unless you can get a creative specific dock/cable for in car use like the Dension Ice for the Ipod.

I stand to be corrected though, as I only know about the cars I looked at when buying my S3.

Thanks Babs, it had to happen once...

Bowfer, in the absence of any other better suggestions, I would assume that Brodit do a pro clip for the Creative...I personally would mount the Creative a-la-mobile phone in a position where you can easily access the functions and screen, do everything straight from the player, rather than worrying about the head unit making it work. It's certainly what I plan to do with my Ipod and the Dension kit due to the ***** implementation of Ipod and MP3 info on Audis at the moment.

It doesnt matter what bowfer gets as he will hate it and try and get rid as soon as possible , Maybe swapping it for an unreliable Italian one.

treblesykes said:
Maybe swapping it for an unreliable Italian one.
speaking of which, my brother just bought a new alfa spider and it came with a feature called "Blue And Me". Bluetooth for your phone, and a USB port in the glovebox where you can plug in your iPod or other leading MP3 player, or even a USB memory stick. You can then scroll through all the tracks by artist\album\folder\genre, etc from the steering wheel and all thr track info is displayed in the alfa equivalent of the DIS.

I must say it is one of the more user friendly factory fit jobs I've seen.

treblesykes said:
It doesnt matter what bowfer gets as he will hate it and try and get rid as soon as possible , Maybe swapping it for an unreliable Italian one.

Not at all.
My Audi has earned my contempt for it,pure and simple.

Keep going with the 'unreliable' and 'italian' cliche though.
About as accurate as 'reliable' and 'German',in my experience.
Even if my 159 ends up as much of a pain in the **** as my A3,it'll always be better looking and better to drive.

Cheers to those who gave advice about the MP3 player though.
Marcquinlivan,that 'blue and me' thing appeals to me as well,I must check if the 159 offers it.

well my 156 has nothing of unreliable about it!!! It's a car I have been trashing and trashing, all round car suitable for everything! Has 100000k and not planning to sell, still like it, just fill the tank and off you go!!

Pedro

P.S.: My first German and reliable excursion was a Mk4 Golf and not impressed!!! Hope S3 better... so far all good but....

bowfer said:
Even if my 159...

I must have missed where you said you were getting one of these. My head is being turned more and more by the 159, even the estate is a fine looking car. I've been quite underwhelmed by the Audi experience too and the fact that I'm already thinking about what to get in two years is a pretty good indication of this. Prior to the A3 I had an Octavia RS and I don't think I gave a thought to what my next car would be in nearly three and a half years.

I have a mate who is VAG through and through, he reckons I'll end up burning to death in a freak electrical fire if I get an Alfa :)

rich1068 said:
I must have missed where you said you were getting one of these. My head is being turned more and more by the 159, even the estate is a fine looking car. I've been quite underwhelmed by the Audi experience too and the fact that I'm already thinking about what to get in two years is a pretty good indication of this. Prior to the A3 I had an Octavia RS and I don't think I gave a thought to what my next car would be in nearly three and a half years.

I have a mate who is VAG through and through, he reckons I'll end up burning to death in a freak electrical fire if I get an Alfa :)

I seem to have a pretty good idea of what's going 'wrong' with the 159,as my mate sells them !
So far,they had a recall for a battery related problem (something about the bolt that holds on one of the leads being able to work loose) but that's about it.
The only other thing he mentions is that the on-board computer and sensors are made by different people,so you can sometimes get the display telling you your brake pads are done,when they aren't.
Nothing major though.

I've just come back from Florence,where 159's abound and Audis are rare.
The exact opposite of here.
I make no apology for wanting a piece of that lifestyle !

FWIW,my 2000 156 (W626 RNP) is still going strong in Manchester (sold to a colleague who won't part with it,even though he has a company Volvo) and my mate's 1999 156 is still going strong too.
Neither use any oil and only need servicing.
The MAF's tend to go awol,but that's easy sorted and common to lots of cars.

Depreciation is a pain,because of peoples silly perceptions,but that can work both ways.
Means you can negotiate a good deal on new,or get a nearly new one for little money (comparitively).

I don't have to worry about depreciation though.(company motor)
Under £23K (list) gets me a 1.9 turbo diesel 159 (150bhp) with leather,cruise,parking sensors,auto wipers,Bluetooth and MP3 and metallic paint.
The only option I'd add would be 18" wheels,but word is they will be standard on some models soon anyway.

bowfer said:
Even if my 159 ends up as much of a pain in the **** as my A3,it'll always be better looking and better to drive.
Alternatively, you could get one of the new A4s from March next year. That was penned by ex-Alfa chief stylist Walter de'Silva (who also styled the A5).

mfspen said:
Alternatively, you could get one of the new A4s from March next year. That was penned by ex-Alfa chief stylist Walter de'Silva (who also styled the A5).

The photos I've seen look better than the current A4,although still a bit...safe ?
I wouldn't want another 140,so I'd have to go for the 170.
I don't like the DPF horror-stories going around about them though.
I bet a 170 A4 to the same spec as a 159 would be a lot dearer too.
Care to hazard a guess at a new-A4 in S-line spec with leather,cruise,sensors,bluetooth,rain sensors and Bose ?
I'd take a stab at £25K+,easy !