How to identify engine: blb or bre

Lord lucan

Reaction score
Hi,

How do I identify which engine I’ve got in my car (in my profile)?

I’ve got the VIN from the V5 but no idea if it tells me which engine I’ve got.

All help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There will be a sticker in the service book, or in the spare wheel well that will tell you if it's a Bre or BLB

Reactions: Lord lucan
There will be a sticker in the service book, or in the spare wheel well that will tell you if it's a Bre or BLB

Is there any other way to identify the engine apart from the sticker on the timing belt cover, service book or wheel well?

There will be a serial number on the engine block itself. Sometimes difficult to read but all engine blocks have one.
This site usually gives you the details as well. Put your plate in and it will give you the VIN and engine type
https://www.mpdonline.co.uk/
The first 3 or 4 digits of the engine serial number are the engine code. Have a look at the vechicle registration document. It has the engine serial number on it.

There will be a serial number on the engine block itself. Sometimes difficult to read but all engine blocks have one.
This site usually gives you the details as well. Put your plate in and it will give you the VIN and engine type
The first 3 or 4 digits of the engine serial number are the engine code. Have a look at the vechicle registration document. It has the engine serial number on it.

Any idea where it is on the block itself. I heard it was behind the block above the flywheel so not the easiest place to check haha. The reason I'm wondering is because my 'BLB' is currently on 182k without any notice of engine/hexkey/tensioner change.

Upload 2019 3 5 23 47 54

Just tried entering my reg on that site and it doesn’t show the engine type and it’s also wrong on my transmission type. It did have the VIN number however.

Oh well, It's worked for pretty much every car I have put in there.You should be able to locate the serial number on the actual engine itself though. Do you not have the vechicle registration document.

Oh well, It's worked for pretty much every car I have put in there.You should be able to locate the serial number on the actual engine itself though. Do you not have the vechicle registration document.

In the end I looked it up on the service book as another user suggested. Yay!